PDA

View Full Version : anyone getting a new iphone today?

larig
09-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Mine just arrived. I can't believe how early it came.

mackmama
09-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow!!! Congrats! What do you think of it? I wish I was getting mine today... but I'm in the Oct 5 camp.

larig
09-21-2012, 11:27 AM
I need to activate and restore it from my 4s backup, and then I'll report back.

it is super light. Noticeably so.

The black is pretty, but I'm used to having a pink bumper. I think I will miss it. It's naked now.

The headphones are very comfortable and come in a plastic case--definitely an upgrade over the other ones which kind of hurt my ears.

codex57
09-21-2012, 01:03 PM
In the Oct. 5 camp I think. Might swing by a Sprint store and see if they've got any. If not, oh well. If so, plan to just cancel my preorder and set up the service at the Sprint store.

KLD313
09-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Mine came a little while ago. I loAt my BlackBerry somewhere in my house 3 days ago and I cant activate the iPhone until I find it. Plus my 2 yo is throwing a fit because I let her hold the phone and took it away!

chays
09-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Mine is on the truck for delivery - and now I have to leave and won't be back until after 7. BUMMER!!!!

logan's mom
09-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Mine says Oct 5th....maybe Apple can get it here three days early for my 30th birthday??

goldenpig
09-21-2012, 03:15 PM
I ordered two through Apple on 9/14 (one for DH who doesn't even have a smartphone, and one to replace my iPhone 3) and I think they're not supposed to arrive for 2-3 weeks. But I can't check the confirmation email because it went to some me.com email address which I never use, and I tried to log onto MobileMe and it said I had to sign up for iCloud but apparently my iPhone 3 and computer are all too old to be able to sign up for iCloud. I just don't have time to wait in line at Apple and I don't really care when I get it, so whenever it shows up, it shows up. Hopefully I will be able to figure out how to set it up though! I'm not a technophobe, but technology gives me a headache sometimes!

citymama
09-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Can't wait to hear your report once you've taken it for a spin! I hear it's awesome except for the new Apple maps and the incompatibility of the charger. Let me know if you like the camera, phone reception etc over the 4. I'm on the fence about getting one. (I'm a miserable AT&T customer who won't switch bc of my grandfathered unlimited plan!)

larig
09-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Mine came a little while ago. I loAt my BlackBerry somewhere in my house 3 days ago and I cant activate the iPhone until I find it. Plus my 2 yo is throwing a fit because I let her hold the phone and took it away!

Oh no! it's like the ring to gollum for a tot, isn't it!? They always want the shiny stuff. Hope you find the BB soon!

larig
09-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Can't wait to hear your report once you've taken it for a spin! I hear it's awesome except for the new Apple maps and the incompatibility of the charger. Let me know if you like the camera, phone reception etc over the 4. I'm on the fence about getting one. (I'm a miserable AT&T customer who won't switch bc of my grandfathered unlimited plan!)

Citymama, I too am an AT&T grandfathered girl.

So far I like it. Reception seems comparable to my old 4s. DH's 4 got worse reception than my 4s, though. (he's happy to get my 4s hand-me-down).

I used the maps app in our small/medium sized city (110,000) to get to two places that I didn't know well (we've moved to my hometown, but I haven't lived here in 20 years) and it did a great job with the directions. I liked that when I switched out of the maps app it put a green bar at the top of the screen that said "touch to return to navigation" AND it still displayed the upcoming turns when the maps app was closed. I like the aesthetic of the maps app better--the navigation stuff looks more elegant (but looks aren't everything). So far, I've got no complaints about maps.

The camera should be the same, except it's suppose to have a new lens. I haven't shot any pictures yet. I don't know if the panorama thing works for all of the phones with iOS 6 or not. I'll ask DH if his does.

Any other questions?

mom2khj
09-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Mine came this morning. I haven't had much time today to play with it. The larger screen is great! I love that it's lighter too. I can't wait to play with the camera! But first, I have to figure out if I'm putting screen protectors on it or not. I usually don't, but I've left the shipping protectors on there for now, LOL.

Toba
09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Mine arrived at about 2:10 this afternoon. I never even took it out of the box; DH did when he got home around 4:30. I think I'm having buyer's remorse/guilt or something. DH activated it (after thoroughly comparing it to his 4S) and it's STILL trying to restore from my cloud. I barely notice the size difference even though I know it's there. I think it's in the middle of restoring my iTunes ... I started one song in a playlist and when it got to the third one, it kept restarting it over and over because I guess it's still downloading (probably shouldn't be messing with it). But I think the speakers are a big improvement (unless my old case interfered with my 4S's speakers).

I *loathe* the new ear pods/buds that come with it. They barely fit in my ears and fall out at the slightest movement. DH tried them and they fell out when he simply looked down. I have a problem with earbuds anyway ... I had an AWESOME pair of Shure earbuds that I bought at least 5-6 years ago. The only problem was the foam inserts (which make the noise cancellation incredible) ... after just a few weeks, they'd be NASTY. They also had this great ability to tuck up into the upper part of my ear, which worked well for me because I side-sleep and I need something with a low profile or it hurts (I know, I know I'm not supposed to wear them like that, but it is what it is). About two years ago, one earbud just stopped producing sound. DH took them to work and tried to fix them but they were dead. Shure hadn't made that style in years and didn't have anything similar. I've been on a relentless quest for the perfect earbuds since ... lots of $$$$ later (trying high end and low end and everything in between), I still can't find ones I love. My current ones are the ones that Apple sells in-store, NOT the free ones that come with iPhones and iPods (I think they're $70 or $80) and they're still meh.

When I preordered, I picked a crappy case out just to get by until new ones would be released. In the week since then, TONS of new cases for the iPhone 5 hit the market and two cases, plus screen protectors that I completely forgot to preorder, are going to be here Monday or Tuesday (for about $25 total). I'm just going to return this $30 piece of crap unopened to Verizon and just be very, very careful with it for the next few days. It's really hard for me judge weight/size because I always had one of those bling-y cases on my 4S and they make it feel like a brick.

I just updated the iOS today on my old 4S (which DS inherited on a limited basis), my iPod Touch and iPad so I haven't really gotten a chance to play with the most important thing to me ... how well it's going to work and all the new features. Right now, I'm still pretty meh. I really hope it wows me later tonight or tomorrow or DH is going to kill me.

ETA: Sorry I sound so whiney. I want to love it, just not there yet. :)

codex57
09-21-2012, 07:23 PM
The camera should be the same, except it's suppose to have a new lens. I haven't shot any pictures yet. I don't know if the panorama thing works for all of the phones with iOS 6 or not. I'll ask DH if his does.

Doesn't citymama have the 4 and not the 4s? There's a pretty huge difference in the quality of the camera between the 4 and 4s. I've got the 4 and DW has the 4s. Very noticeable difference in our opinions. The 5 is supposed to have an even better camera so even if it's just a little better than the 4s, it's still gonna be loads better than the one on the 4 (which wasn't that bad IMO).

LD92599
09-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I ended up getting one directly at the verison store after work; cancelled my best buy pre order.

Verizon must've screwed up my # porting though as they left me a vm and i'm on dreaded hold with them now!

LD92599
09-21-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm done on hold w/ verizon; # is ported and my new phone looks just like my 4 did at 4pm today when I last did the icloud backup!

I'm playing w/ Siri and i'll give the phone a really good test tomorrow since we'll be in the city!

nfowife
09-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I have a question about Siri- I have a 3GS and will be getting my 5 on Oct. 5. Can you ask her to enter calendar items and reminders? Like "Siri, remind me about my drs. appt. on Oct. 4 at 2:30" type of thing? And she enters it in for you and you don't have to type it?

I ordered my otterbox defender in the 2-tone purple via amazon and it will be here on Wednesday, then I just have to wait for the phone to get here a week later :yay: I know lots of you love your lifeproof but I have been super happy with my defender for over 2 years, no problems and it's kept my phone in great condition. I don't put my phone in my pocket almost ever and I like the silicone on the outside so I'm going to stick with it. Plus who knows when lifeproof will have the new version out and on top of that it's $30 more for it....just can't justify it.

keh602
09-21-2012, 11:35 PM
I have a question about Siri- I have a 3GS and will be getting my 5 on Oct. 5. Can you ask her to enter calendar items and reminders? Like "Siri, remind me about my drs. appt. on Oct. 4 at 2:30" type of thing? And she enters it in for you and you don't have to type it?

Yes! DH does it all the time. I'm going to start to.

So far I love my 5. I'm looking forward to using it more tomorrow. :)

larig
09-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Doesn't citymama have the 4 and not the 4s? There's a pretty huge difference in the quality of the camera between the 4 and 4s. I've got the 4 and DW has the 4s. Very noticeable difference in our opinions. The 5 is supposed to have an even better camera so even if it's just a little better than the 4s, it's still gonna be loads better than the one on the 4 (which wasn't that bad IMO).

My comparison was made to the iphone 4s that I have, based on specs I'd seen posted after the announcement. I read more after your posting, and am pleasantly surprised that it is supposed to have more improvements than the numbers would suggest. I've actually taken no pictures yet, sadly. I read that the lens is improved, as is the low-light photo capturing and speed of camera. It will definitely be an improvement over the 4! 4s & 5 have same 8 MP, but they packed the 5 into a smaller space. (and the front camera for FT is much better).

my big thrill of the night was testing it out in my car--I got an alpine deck installed last xmas (my gift from DH). It has a USB port, controls an iPad/iphone and works with a Pandora app and even has thumbs up/down on the deck. It still works with the new USB cord!!! I'm stoked, because I'd heard that some of that functionality wasn't going to work in some cars. I figured since mine wasn't a super expensive one that mine would be dead, but it's not. It's wonderful for me, because I live in a non-urban area, and with my iphone I still listen to my old seattle stations and pandora. I could have still used a minijack cable, but the USB is MUCH better with the controls.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Yes I do it all the time. And she will even tell you if you have a conflict at that time and ask what you want to do. And then when I told her to cancel the new appointment, she said "that's okay, you are too busy anyway"

My best use of Siri so far was on vacation (at the hotel) when I said "remind me when I come back here to go to Cactus Jack's again for dinner" and at a restaurant "remind me when I come back here to tell them not to put the hot peppers on the plate at all because the juice spilled on the sandwich"

Love Siri.

Toba
09-22-2012, 03:43 PM
my big thrill of the night was testing it out in my car--I got an alpine deck installed last xmas (my gift from DH). It has a USB port, controls an iPad/iphone and works with a Pandora app and even has thumbs up/down on the deck. It still works with the new USB cord!!! I'm stoked, because I'd heard that some of that functionality wasn't going to work in some cars. I figured since mine wasn't a super expensive one that mine would be dead, but it's not. It's wonderful for me, because I live in a non-urban area, and with my iphone I still listen to my old seattle stations and pandora. I could have still used a minijack cable, but the USB is MUCH better with the controls.

Oh my gosh, PLEASE post a link! I think DH and I would both love that. I have satellite radio in my vehicle, but never really got into it so it's disabled (came with the trim package in my vehicle, I didn't want to pay for it but had no choice). I've had a Pandora subscription for a few months and I realllllly enjoy it but don't get to use it much around the house (which is silly because there are numerous setups in our house where I could stream it from; it just always escapes my memory). DH has been itching to put better speakers in his new SUV (newly purchased used vehicle) and that whole setup would be a perfect Xmas present for him!

larig
09-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Oh my gosh, PLEASE post a link! I think DH and I would both love that. I have satellite radio in my vehicle, but never really got into it so it's disabled (came with the trim package in my vehicle, I didn't want to pay for it but had no choice). I've had a Pandora subscription for a few months and I realllllly enjoy it but don't get to use it much around the house (which is silly because there are numerous setups in our house where I could stream it from; it just always escapes my memory). DH has been itching to put better speakers in his new SUV (newly purchased used vehicle) and that whole setup would be a perfect Xmas present for him!
It was not a pricey one, just around $140. (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE122/Alpine-CDE-122.html?search=alpine+pandora)It made the crappy stock speakers in my car better! It has been really enjoyable having it in the car. People with pricey BMW decks were complaining about the new adapter, but my $140 deck does just fine!

Toba
09-22-2012, 06:05 PM
That is awesome, thank you so much! I remember doing a quick search on Best Buy a few months ago, but they only have ones for home use so I gave up. I should have searched harder! LOL :)

larig
09-22-2012, 08:24 PM
That is awesome, thank you so much! I remember doing a quick search on Best Buy a few months ago, but they only have ones for home use so I gave up. I should have searched harder! LOL :)

I've really enjoyed having it. I couldn't believe how cheap it was, all I wanted was one that had an AUX input, but DH thought I should get the one with the USB, and he was really right about it. It charges your phone when it's plugged into the USB plug too. It will play the turn-by-turn stuff (lowers the music) through the USB too (even when it's on the pandora mode). Displays the song info on the deck too.

larig
09-22-2012, 10:57 PM
I read this article today (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/21/apples_iphone_5_is_fastest_smartphone_in_the_land) . Looks like the iphone 5 should be about 2 times faster than the 4s. Safari screams on mine. DH said he thinks it's faster than his ipad 3 just now when I was "letting" him play with mine.