PDA

View Full Version : Endeavour Flyby

eh613c
09-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Any SoCal BBBers going to watch the flyby?

I plan to take our boys near JPL to watch it. I'm sooooo excited. I think I'm more excited than DS1.

AnnieW625
09-21-2012, 12:29 PM
No I am at work. If I was still working a block south of the capitol building in Sacramento I'd be able to see it. My DD1 goes to school in Long Beach just north of Seal Beach so there is a slight chance they will be able to see it if they come inland enough.

Here is the schedule for today's flyover.
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-shuttle-endeavour-preps,0,131577.story

PunkyBoo
09-21-2012, 12:30 PM
I am soooooo excited! I watched the takeoff live on my computer and I work near the Queen Mary. A bunch of us at worknplan to go up to the rooftop.patio to see it. Growing up, I always wanted to see a shuttle take-off and never had the opportunity. So seeing it live this morning was my last and only chance to see it take off. I even wanted to be a astraunaut when I was little. I can't wait to show my kids when it gets to the Science Center!

elektra
09-21-2012, 12:39 PM
DH is going to. He brought a video camera. It's supposed to fly right by his office along Huntington Beach. He was excited to see it.

rlu
09-21-2012, 03:34 PM
I missed it! I'm working from home today and sat outside from 9:30 to 10:10 and then went back to work. It was running late and did pass over during recess (10:20 - 10:40) according to the email the school principal sent out afterwards. I did watch the live coverage as it passed over the Golden Gate, gorgeous!

It was funny though as the announcer said he'd never seen it piggyback on the plane before - obviously showing his age!

jbbhb
09-21-2012, 04:03 PM
There were hundreds of people near my house in Huntington beach. We sat in the front yard for a good half hour, but we missed it :crying:

vonfirmath
09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Evidently it flew over Austin Thursday morning. http://weareaustin.com/news/top-stories/stories/retired-shuttle-endeavour-make-austin-flyover-4274.shtml?wap=0

I didn't hear about it until after it had happened :(

Tenasparkl
09-21-2012, 04:20 PM
It was amazing. I work right near the Hollywood sign and Universal. We all went up onto the roof to watch. We saw it do a loop and then it came back our way and went right over our heads. I've never seen anything like that. Awesome!

deborah_r
09-21-2012, 04:21 PM
We watched from the roof of our building at work. It came almost right over us (we are not far from JPL). It was awesome! Only had my iphone (it is old and camera not so good) so no great pictrues.

ha98ed14
09-21-2012, 04:24 PM
We saw it about an hour ago when it flew over Disneyland, but it was so high up it looked like any other airplane. I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it.

s7714
09-21-2012, 04:25 PM
I didn't hear about it until after it had happened :(

Same here. I didn't realize it was happening until I saw a couple FB posts about it. Kind of sad I missed it. I probably would have pulled the kids out of school to go see it!

AnnieW625
09-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I work in Santa Ana (at I-5 and 4th Street, about 10 miles south of Disneyland), and got some okay photos and it came a lot closer than I thought it would. Click the link for the photo.

eh613c
09-21-2012, 04:29 PM
We watched from the roof of our building at work. It came almost right over us (we are not far from JPL). It was awesome! Only had my iphone (it is old and camera not so good) so no great pictrues.

Yes, we were at Altadena Dr where it ends and we were right under its path. We saw the underbelly and then when it was above JPL, it made left and saw the profile. It was awesome.....HOT but worth it.

I was surprised that it only flewby once over JPL since it flewby the other landmarks a couple of times. DH works in downtown and he was at their GM's office (top floor of the building). He had a great view and he saw it circle around a couple of times.

deborah_r
09-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Yes, we were at Altadena Dr where it ends and we were right under its path. We saw the underbelly and then when it was above JPL, it made left and saw the profile. It was awesome.....HOT but worth it.

I was surprised that it only flewby once over JPL since it flewby the other landmarks a couple of times. DH works in downtown and he was at their GM's office (top floor of the building). He had a great view and he saw it circle around a couple of times.

I'm over by Hastings Ranch, so it came toward us then turned back west to go over JPL. It came down a lot closer than I thought it would - I thought I was probably standing on a hot roof to see a speck in the sky!

Would have loved to see that downtown view that your DH saw!

Tondi G
09-21-2012, 06:00 PM
I went to my DS2's school. They were on the yard for lunch and we got to see it twice ... one fly by and then again as it looped around over Hollywood/Universal Studios! The kids were screaming and running across the yard to follow it across the sky! It was AWESOME! My DH watched from the roof of his work in West LA!

elliput
09-21-2012, 06:07 PM
My SIL got a picture as it flew over in the Anaheim area-

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AwbfUpYQvfA/UFzkrakC7WI/AAAAAAAABNo/5grMqFB9NJY/s640/shuttle%2520flyover.jpg

eh613c
09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm over by Hastings Ranch, so it came toward us then turned back west to go over JPL. It came down a lot closer than I thought it would - I thought I was probably standing on a hot roof to see a speck in the sky!

Would have loved to see that downtown view that your DH saw!

We live there too! Sounds like we would have been better off staying at home!

AnnieW625
09-21-2012, 06:21 PM
We live there too! Sounds like we would have been better off staying at home!

my cousin posted some photos from her apartment window in South Pasadena. My aunt and uncle live in Chapman Woods (Madre, jno of California) so they probably got some good shots as well.

baymom
09-21-2012, 07:11 PM
We live in the Bay Area and DH and I went to see the fly-over at Moffitt Field and we were so surprised at how low it was--absolutely breathtaking! We contemplated taking the kids out of school to come see with us, but both had some important things going on in the morning, so we decided not to. Well, turns out that it flew RIGHT OVER THEIR SCHOOL...at a very low altitude DURING RECESS!!! :cheerleader1: All the teachers were talking about it at pick-up....so glad the kids didn't miss this historic flight after all!

citymama
09-21-2012, 07:22 PM
It flew over the golden gate bridge! And other bay area locations. Really awesome especially since I had no idea what it was initially.

mom2ethan
09-21-2012, 09:18 PM
We saw it from a park not too far from Moffett Field in the Bay Area. The kids had the day off from school so it made a fun morning. I thought it would be a little lower and closer, but it was still cool.

dhano923
09-21-2012, 09:25 PM
I work in Van Nuys, and was hoping to see it as it neared Universal and the Getty, but no luck. DH went over to Griffith Observatory to see it and take pictures (he's a photographer). It flew over Griffith twice, so he got some great pics. I wish I had taken the day so I could go with him. :(

Aishe
09-21-2012, 11:04 PM
It flew right over our house! It was very exciting. DD can't wait to go see it in the Cal. Science Center.

twotimesblue
09-21-2012, 11:48 PM
We got an amazing view of the shuttle flying over the Los Angeles zoo (pic attached)... my 2-year-old DS has been beside himself all day, telling everyone - even the checkout clerk at Vons - that he saw a 'real spaceship'. It even trumped the giraffes at the zoo!

dukie41181
09-22-2012, 12:02 AM
We got an amazing view of the shuttle flying over the Los Angeles zoo (pic attached)... my 2-year-old DS has been beside himself all day, telling everyone - even the checkout clerk at Vons - that he saw a 'real spaceship'. It even trumped the giraffes at the zoo!

Amazing picture!

LexyLou
09-22-2012, 12:10 AM
We saw it in the Bay Area too. It was very cool. The pictures of it flying over the Bridge are amazing!

niccig
09-22-2012, 02:36 AM
DS saw it, they brought the kids out onto the playground to see it, DS said it looped around. DH saw it. I was in middle of class and probably too far away to see much - why do I always miss out on the fun stuff:(