PDA

View Full Version : anyone use Straight Talk Wireless or another non-contract mobile phone?

megs4413
09-21-2012, 01:12 PM
So like a totally dummy, I lost my iPhone like two weeks ago. I kept thinking it would turn up, but it just hasn't. We purchased me a new 5, but the delivery was pushed back (grrr) and so I'm STILL without a phone until my 5 comes in (and at this point, I have NO idea when that will finally be.) Because I used my upgrade to pre-order the 5, ATT REFUSES to issue me another SIM card while I have a standing order open. It's so frustrating, but they just won't do it. I have another iphone 3 and a 4 from previous upgrades just laying around my house unlocked, so i don't need to buy another phone, i just need service.

At this point, I'm looking at Straight Talk Wireless' unlimited 30 day plan. It's $45 and will also require $15 for the Sim card, so $60 about for one month's worth of phone service. I'm concerned that it will be complicated to set up and that "unlimited" won't really be the case. Does anyone use Straight Talk Wireless? The reviews online seem decent, but I'm gun-shy. I probably need to take care of this today. I do not like driving the kids around without a phone for emergencies. Does anyone have a no-contract wireless provider that they recommend? TIA!

AnnieW625
09-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Is there anyway that you can go to an AT&T store and get a phone and show them that you pre ordered your phone and get one in the store instead? I went to Verizon and got my 4S on release day. There was no line or anything. Totally stress free.

My mom has a Virgin Mobile and she likes it a lot. She pay $20 or $30 every 90 days. I can't remember if her phone has a sim card or not. Her phone is for emergencies only. If my work hadn't blocked pretty much every website that I visit during my break and lunch hour (if I eat at my desk) I probably would have gone this route as well because really I only use my phone for emergencies and an occaisional phone call or text as well.

megs4413
09-21-2012, 01:30 PM
My DH went into AT&T last weekend and explained the issue and brought our old phone to get a SIM card and they said we'd have to add a line, because my "phone" is already committed to the iphone 5 that THEY delayed in shipping. Otherwise, I would have had it today and this wouldn't be a problem anymore. My only option with them is to add a line and after this crappy service, i don't want to hand them any more money and i don't want to get into a contract with them for a third line we don't need, KWIM?

JElaineB
09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
We have used Tracfone (http://www.tracfone.com/) for years and have not had any problems with it, you can get a phone and 30 days worth of service pretty cheaply, then you can add another card with additional minutes (and they all add days of service as well, typically). Look for promo codes on their website or on the web. Many phones also come with "double minutes for life" so it will double the minutes on any card you purchase.

ETA: If you need the phone immediately, don't buy the phone off their website obviously. Go to Walmart or another big box store and see what they have available for your local market. You can buy minutes at the store or online.

AnnieW625
09-21-2012, 01:37 PM
My DH went into AT&T last weekend and explained the issue and brought our old phone to get a SIM card and they said we'd have to add a line, because my "phone" is already committed to the iphone 5 that THEY delayed in shipping. Otherwise, I would have had it today and this wouldn't be a problem anymore. My only option with them is to add a line and after this crappy service, i don't want to hand them any more money and i don't want to get into a contract with them for a third line we don't need, KWIM?

I would take your receipt into a different store and tell them that you paid for the phone and that you would like it right now. No idea if it will work or not, but since you already pre paid for the phone I think they should honor your receipt and give you a phone if they have one in stock.

megs4413
09-21-2012, 01:55 PM
I would take your receipt into a different store and tell them that you paid for the phone and that you would like it right now. No idea if it will work or not, but since you already pre paid for the phone I think they should honor your receipt and give you a phone if they have one in stock.

I can't imagine a store having one in stock???