PDA

View Full Version : Big shout of thanks to MamaMolly!

gatorsmom
09-21-2012, 02:46 PM
For months now I've had a copy of your crockpot chicken recipe tucked in my cookbook and last weekend I made it for the first time. And again Wednesday and again today. It is so good, so simple and so versatile! And DH loved it and has even been playing around with it. Tonight I'm going to try it with quinoa.

Thank you!!

I can't find the original thread with the recipe but here is another:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=406164&highlight=Mama+Molly+crockpot+chicken

Simon
09-21-2012, 04:03 PM
We love that recipe here, too.

Do you think it would still work if we cooked the chicken in stock or just plain water so we could do other seasoning later? I need a way to cook meat to use across multiple recipes during the week and the kids don't like the salsa.

gatorsmom
09-21-2012, 06:36 PM
We love that recipe here, too.

Do you think it would still work if we cooked the chicken in stock or just plain water so we could do other seasoning later? I need a way to cook meat to use across multiple recipes during the week and the kids don't like the salsa.

I think so. As long as the meat reaches its safe temperature at some point (is it 165 degrees?) I dont think it matters what liquid you cook it in.

kep
09-21-2012, 06:52 PM
For months now I've had a copy of your crockpot chicken recipe tucked in my cookbook and last weekend I made it for the first time. And again Wednesday and again today. It is so good, so simple and so versatile! And DH loved it and has even been playing around with it. Tonight I'm going to try it with quinoa.

Thank you!!

I can't find the original thread with the recipe but here is another:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=406164&highlight=Mama+Molly+crockpot+chicken

Bookmarked! Thanks!!

MamaMolly
09-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Awww thanks guys! :loveeyes: It is a favorite here. Honestly if it weren't for the BBB my crock pot would have been sold off at a yard sale years ago. But after reading so many posts about how easy it is I had to try it. Then we had dinner with friends and she told me she used FROZEN chicken and it was a life changer. Holy cow, who knew!!??

That also makes a great filling for enchiladas, as one of my friends IRL introduced me to. Just roll up the goodness in tortillas, line them up in a baking dish, cover with cheese and salsa and pop into the oven. Super!

Lately I've been 'experimenting' with those McCormick spice kits, the ones where they include most of the spices and you add the meat. I love, love, love the chicken Marsala. Though we call it Chicken Chardonnay at my house ;) So easy, I toss all the ingredients into the crock pot and it is super yummy over rice or noodles. The Apple Sage pork chops are good too. Chicken Cacciatore is just ok, a little blah imo.

The Joy of Cooking coconut chicken curry in the crock pot (again, just dump all the ingredients and go) is super duper good, too.

I really love having a nice dinner cooking while I'm going about my day. If nothing else gets done at least Ive managed that!

randomkid
09-22-2012, 04:35 AM
Do you use black beans? Any recs for brand of salsa? I've seen this recipe mentioned here countless times and have never tried it. I think it might be time. Do you serve it over rice or with what?

I love the enchilada idea. I could make extra, then do the enchiladas with leftovers the next day.

MamaMolly
09-22-2012, 07:24 AM
We have used every kind of bean except fava and green! Same for the salsa. I have used large Costco sized jars and small chip-and-dip sized jars, and even home made. It is the most forgiving recipe.
For the enchaladas I've used green salsa (they sell it in jars here as salsa verde) and that is really nice. It is the way my friend does it, so I use that when I have it. It makes a nice dinner for guests because it is really easy and looks nice coming out of the oven. Oh, speaking of out, remember to use Pam or a swipe of oil on the baking dish. :bag don't ask how I know!!

Ceepa
09-22-2012, 02:06 PM
I've been meaning to try this. Thanks for the reminder.

MMMommy
09-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for revisiting this recipe. I have never made it, seen it talked about, and plan on making it tonight for dinner!

vonfirmath
09-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I make a recipe VERY similar to that. Learned from a friend in washington so it originally used Peach-Pineapple Salsa (sold by Safeway). But we've since used regular salsa as well. No beans. Serve over tortilla chips with cheese and sour cream.

Or rice if tortilla chips are too expensive (As they often have been lately)

If you don't want to put it in the crockpot all day, start with thawed chicken and you can cook it in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes to an hour (I've done both and can't tell a difference in taste) and it is great!

anonomom
09-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Jut want to chime in that you can add a carton of chicken stock to the recipe and it makes a fantastic soup! It's one of my favorite crock pot recipes.

KpbS
09-24-2012, 02:31 PM
I just made a version of this dish last week with part salsa, part apricot jam (1/2 jar), and a can of diced tomatoes. I served it over rice for DS2 and chick peas for DS1 with steamed broccoli as a side. :)