PDA

View Full Version : Help out this cheapskate - Banana Republic returns question

citymama
09-21-2012, 07:00 PM
So a dress I bought 3 weeks ago at BR is now $40 cheaper online. I took the tags off the other dress so can't return that one. I was thinking of ordering online and then (bear with this cheapskate) return the online purchase with the original receipt in store. Can I do that? Or do online purchases not come with the same kind of tags as in store? In other words, would it be identifiable as online and therefore not refunded at the same price? Just wondering whether it's worth it. Thanks!

baymom
09-21-2012, 09:02 PM
No experience with BR, but this cheapskate has done that with GapKids and it was no problem (cashier made no comment). :tongue5: Hopefully someone else will chime in about BR experience...

iaam
09-21-2012, 09:03 PM
I did exactly this for a trench coat that ended up going down by $80. The tags were the same in that case.

Beth24
09-22-2012, 12:29 AM
I know that Gap.com merchandise has different tags than gap in store (the tags say gap.com and don't have a price). But I don't know about BR. Sorry.

mimi2008
09-22-2012, 01:02 AM
I've returned items to old navy without tags before (tag fell off). there's a number on the clothing tag (sewn) that they enter into the computer and can pull up your purchase.

you should call BR and see if they will price adjust even if the tag is off. sometimes stores will price adjust with just the receipt in hand (i did this with target this weekend. I bought a princess barbie for a Bday gift. the barbie went on sale the next day. I took the receipt to the store -- without doll--and they gave me the price adjustment)

TwinFoxes
09-22-2012, 07:36 AM
I think they'll just take it without the tag if it's unworn. BR has pretty good customer service.

ourbabygirl
09-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Well, I did something very similar last month, and they didn't let me do it. I had bought two dresses (purple and red), a necklace, and a bracelet in store from BR on a Wed. night. Went home and found 3 of the 4 things online and a 30% off code, so I reordered everything but the bracelet. Unfortunately I needed to wear the purple, more expensive dress and bracelet for a wedding that Friday night, so I took the tags off and wore them.

Got my order a couple of weeks later, but they returned everything from the original store receipt and online receipt. Since the tags were different and they needed the receipts. they wouldn't let me switch out the in-store dress (quite a bit more expensive) with the online dress (that I used the code for). Not only did they not let me do that, but they actually credited my account way wrong. Good thing I noticed- I had to do all the math on the back of an envelope and go back to the store later and have a manager redo everything.

It was a big mess and hassle, and I lost a bunch of time on the whole deal.

Hopefully you'll have better luck, though!

tarnator
09-22-2012, 11:45 AM
What is their price match policy? Some places it is up to 1 month....not sure about BR though.

I would be super tempted to just take the dress back without tags. I have done that before without issue.