PDA

View Full Version : 40th birthday ideas

Sweetum
09-21-2012, 09:16 PM
DH is turning 40 this November. I am thinking of doing a surprise Mexico trip in dec dring the holidays. Any ideas hw I can plan ths? I know, I m sorry it is so open ended, but I need to get started with some idea. Maybe a BTDT? Is dec a good time? Should we do resorts in Mexico? Or are there places we can plan and go to ourselves? I am thinking 4 or 5 days. S that sufficient? What would be good activities besides chilling? Thanks...!

Jen841
09-21-2012, 09:23 PM
It was not a surprise, but we went to KeyWest for our 40th. We rested by day, had a great dinner, then enjoyed the night

Sweetum
09-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Sounds nice. But I am hoping to get help in planning. Anyone?

sunshine873
09-23-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm in the midst of planning a little getaway in honor of my DHs 40th too. But it's on a much smaller scale. Fairly local and only one night away...

baymom
09-23-2012, 12:34 PM
We used Costco to book hotel and car portions of our Hawaii trip this year and I was really impressed all around. If planning all aspects of a Mexico trip feels daunting, how about booking an air/hotel/car combo from Costco. Their prices are fantastic, as is the CS. My brother and SIL did Mexico through Costco this summer and had a lot of positive feedback.

hillview
09-23-2012, 03:06 PM
What's your budget? There are lots of great all inclusive resorts in Mexico. I'd go to trip advisor and pick based on their top 10 lists of all inclusive in Mexico.

ZeeBaby
09-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Another vote for tripadvisor. You also want to look at whether you want to do Caribbean coast or pacific coast. I think once you settle that we can be of more help. For Pacific coast I would look at Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas and for Caribbean I loved Riviera Maya. We went for a 5 day stay in Playa del Carmen.

Sweetum
09-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks, all. I "think" we want to go to the carribean coast :)
And I have looked at trip advisor as recommended. We like to do cultural, historic stuff but I am thinking it would nice to mix it up with beach chillin'. And that's why I said carribean, it seems it has some historic sites to visit such as Tulum, is that right? Is ther anything else along those lines. Also, I am torn between cancan and playa, would you recommend one vs the other? And about all inclusives, is $200 to $250 a night too less? And how long is it worthwhile to commit to enjoy an all inclusive? Never done these before, so wondering if 2 nights might be too less. Even if we don't do cancan resorts or all inclusives, we will likely spend a day or two ther. So, overall is 6 days including the flying time from the west coast be sufficient? And how about other things to do around there? Thanks.
I haven't looked at Costco yet, thanks for that tip. I'll do that next.