PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty on a car?

SnuggleBuggles
09-22-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm anti-extended warranties bc I always find the fine print to make it far less useful than you want it to be. Dh is contemplating (and researching) one for our new car bc it has a lot of electronics. They were charging $1800 for a 10 year, 100,000 warranty. I shot the sales guy down yesterday but dh isn't sure. Thoughts? It's a Honda, fwiw.

marymoo86
09-22-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm anti-extended warranties bc I always find the fine print to make it far less useful than you want it to be. Dh is contemplating (and researching) one for our new car bc it has a lot of electronics. They were charging $1800 for a 10 year, 100,000 warranty. I shot the sales guy down yesterday but dh isn't sure. Thoughts? It's a Honda, fwiw.

These are usually straight profit so I don't blame you. If you think you really need one - check to see if this is straight from Honda or 3rd party. I would also find out what it would be directly from Honda, if offered. I received an opportunity to extend my warranty with Subaru from a direct mail offer - much cheaper than dealer when it was near expiration.

goldenpig
09-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Congrats on your new car! What kind of car did you get?

When we bought our Odyssey earlier this year, we got the Extended Care Warranty. Initially we bought it from the dealer, but then I found out I could get it cheaper elsewhere. It doesn't matter where you get it, you can get it from any Honda dealer. I found out from the Edmunds forum that most people get it from this dealer because they have the best prices:
http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/
It was $1295 for 8 yr/120K miles. It was about $400 less than what I paid so I cancelled the plan I bought from the dealer and switched to them. It was all done via email. We've never gotten an extended warranty before, but since this car had so much more technology (Nav, DVD, audio with hard drive, backup, collision avoidance etc) than any of our previous cars, we decided to get it for peace of mind. Basically DH wanted it, I wasn't sure we needed it, but I didn't want him to blame me if anything ever went wrong with the car and we ended up paying for an expensive repair.

vludmilla
09-22-2012, 10:48 AM
I would not buy it. There are almost always too many exclusions even though they make them sound so comprehensive when you buy them. I would put $1800 in a savings account and earmark it for repairs instead. I think it is unlikely that you would get more than that amount of value out the warranty.

SnuggleBuggles
09-22-2012, 11:07 AM
I would not buy it. There are almost always too many exclusions even though they make them sound so comprehensive when you buy them. I would put $1800 in a savings account and earmark it for repairs instead. I think it is unlikely that you would get more than that amount of value out the warranty.

That's what I told dh and the dealer. :)

SnuggleBuggles
09-22-2012, 11:08 AM

When we bought our Odyssey earlier this year, we got the Extended Care Warranty. Initially we bought it from the dealer, but then I found out I could get it cheaper elsewhere. It doesn't matter where you get it, you can get it from any Honda dealer. I found out from the Edmunds forum that most people get it from this dealer because they have the best prices:
It was $1295 for 8 yr/120K miles. It was about $400 less than what I paid so I cancelled the plan I bought from the dealer and switched to them. It was all done via email. We've never gotten an extended warranty before, but since this car had so much more technology (Nav, DVD, audio with hard drive, backup, collision avoidance etc) than any of our previous cars, we decided to get it for peace of mind. Basically DH wanted it, I wasn't sure we needed it, but I didn't want him to blame me if anything ever went wrong with the car and we ended up paying for an expensive repair.

Crossing my fingers that dh doesn't say, "I told you so." I already got him to buy the car I wanted (Civic) vs what he wanted so i may already be doomed!

vludmilla
09-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Extended warranty for a civic? Civics are super reliable. I would think the chances that you would make out ahead on the extended warranty on a civic are infinitesimally small.

AnnieW625
09-22-2012, 11:40 AM
We bought one for the Pilot. We got 100k miles and 6 yrs. for $1000. I wouldn't pay $1800 for one. We knew we would drive 36k miles in two yrs. vs. 3 though, and we ended up hitting 100k miles wise before 6 yrs., we hit it at about 5/1/2 iirc. It was good to have a piece of mind though just in case.

If we buy another Honda I will decline the warranty and buy from another dealer. Codex did some research on finding cheaper warranties at other dealers. I believe one is in Massachusetts. The other might be Autowest Honda near Sacramento, but I am not 100% sure on those recs. though.

niccig
09-22-2012, 02:16 PM

:yeahthat:

We got one on DH's prius because of all the electronics. Of course the only thing we needed to use it for was 6 months after it had expired. And it was the touch screen display console. It cost aout $1000 to fix...so we paid for extended warranty and never used it. Should have put the warranty money in bank and would have had it for the display.

We didn't get it on my Honda.

happymommyof2
09-22-2012, 05:42 PM

We also used Saccucci honda to buy our extended warranty for our Odyssey. We had read it on Edmunds too. It was quick and easy. I believe that the Civic extended warranty was even cheaper than the Odyssey. They no longer show the prices online, but you can email to get the rate, they are fairly quick.

JenChem
09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Putting in the bank would have been such a better idea. My DH insisted on one for the Sienna we just bought even though I really pushed back against it. Of course when the salesman saw how hard I was pushing back he did drop the price by $250. Make sure you he sees your reluctance if you get it and try to get a price drop. But maybe I'll suggest cancelling ours and banking that money...

goldenpig
09-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Crossing my fingers that dh doesn't say, "I told you so." I already got him to buy the car I wanted (Civic) vs what he wanted so i may already be doomed!

You don't have to buy the warranty right away. You have until 6000 miles I think to buy the extended warranty so you can research prices with that dealer I listed or others after you buy. I doubt we'll need it for the car itself since Hondas are usually very reliable, but with all the computers and electronics on the car DH wanted to get it this time.

LD92599
09-22-2012, 08:37 PM
We used hyannis honda based on reviews both here and other sites. Saved a TON of money!

stillplayswithbarbies
09-22-2012, 08:43 PM
we had the 7 year 100,000 mile extended warranty on our 2004 Toyota Sienna and it paid for itself many times over. We got it at another dealer who sells it much cheaper. In 2004, we paid $750 for it. That's a no-brainer.

we just traded that in on a 2012 Toyota Sienna and again got en extended warranty, this time 8 year 125,000 mile and again got it cheap by telling our dealer the price we were able to get and they matched it. Definitely do the research online to find the dealer who is selling it cheap for your make of car.

We keep our cars for 8 or 10 years and we put miles on. We had 155,000 miles on the '04 we just traded in. The extended warranty is well worth it for us.

I am certain that the touch-screen audio system is not going to last for 125,000 miles. I expect that alone to make the warranty worthwhile.

123LuckyMom
09-22-2012, 11:56 PM
As PPs have mentioned, there are several dealers that sell Honda Care very inexpensively, and you can still purchase it if you choose. The best price we found was from Hyannis Honda. I did get one for my Ody after reading about transmission issues. If you are going to get the warranty, shop around!!!

chlobo
09-23-2012, 09:51 AM

What transmission issues? We just bought a 2010 Honda Odyssey with 5600 miles. My husband wants to decline the warranty but I think we should get it. Just last week I was unable to get out of park b/c the button was stuck. Who knows how much that would cost to fix. And our manu warranty expires in Nov.

secchick
09-23-2012, 11:25 AM

This, except I got the online quote from Saccucci and my dealer matched it, even though they said it was below cost.