PDA

View Full Version : Wheel of Time series, worth it?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
09-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Looking for a wee break from Outlander (love). The first three books of WOT get amazing reviews but then some people seem to become disenchanted with the writing and I don't want to start something so extensive that then ends badly. Anyone read the whole thing, thoughts? Many thanks!!

misshollygolightly
09-22-2012, 12:23 PM
IMO, the first three books or so are pretty fun reading. I read them in high school and enjoyed them. It's totally not necessary to read the whole series to enjoy the first couple books, and reading the whole series would be a MAJOR time commitment! I think most people (myself included) lose interest after the first couple of books, but those couple are still worth reading. I would also say that you could read the first couple now and then, next time you're looking for something to read, maybe try a few more if you feel like it. I don't think you'll feel compelled to sit down and read through the entire series all at once (as you might feel with, say, the Hunger Games trilogy).

wellyes
09-22-2012, 12:44 PM
First couple of books are OK. That is the best thing I can say about it. And I am a fan of magic-swords-wizards-horses type epic fantasy.

By the way, my husband just walked by and said you have the best screen name ever :)

s7714
09-22-2012, 03:00 PM
My DH has listened to all of them as audio books and loved them. I read the first book and liked it a lot, but not so much that I felt compelled to read the sequel immediately. I bought the sequel, just haven't gotten to it.

At the very least I'd give the first one a try!

Katigre
09-22-2012, 03:03 PM
I love WOT. The books are all pretty good except for Winter's Heart which DRAAAAAAAGGGGGGGEEEEEEDDD. But the benefit is that the last three books of the series got good again. The final volume is coming out in March and I hope it answers a lot of questions from the prevoius ones and ties up the story well.

elizabethkott
09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm on book 11. I love them!

Jupiter
09-22-2012, 06:38 PM
My husband has read, reread, and rereread them ALL. My brother also loved them all. I know Robert jordan can be very detailed but I hear they are amazing.