PDA

View Full Version : air duct cleaning- waste of money or worthwhile? (Groupon)

Reader
09-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Anyone done an air duct cleaning? Groupon for my area currently has one for $39, and I'd love to do it but would love to hear reviews from anyone who has personally had it done. This is through Quality Air Cleaning, which I think is a national chain.

flashy09
09-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I had mine done and it was amazing and gross how much dog hair and dust they got out. For ages my house was much colder downstairs in the winter and (like a 5-10 temp drop as you come down the stairs) and the cleaning cured that. So it worked for me! If you have pets I think it's especially helpful.

smiles33
09-22-2012, 02:59 PM
I think it works. When we did the inspection on our first house, I had to leave the house because I was hacking so hard when they tested the furnace (the seller had cats). DH hired someone to clean the ducts to ensure all the cat hair settled in there would be removed. Now, we also removed all the carpet and the draperies, so it's possible it wasn't just the duct cleaning, but I had been fine until we turned on the heater and it presumably blew out cat hair.

kristac
09-22-2012, 05:51 PM
We had ours cleaned out a few years ago when our AC unit caught fire (hence smokey air ducts). I think it was helpful but I would recommend checking into the equipment the company uses. You want truck mounted equipment. Not someone with a hoover and a long hose.

sophiesmom03
09-22-2012, 07:42 PM
It did wonders on our house when we moved in almost a year ago. I'd guess the previous owners had never done it. The ducts were gross, the air smelled bad coming out of the vents, and the filter was really dirty.

I think we paid around $300 and our house has way too many ducts for its size (like 25 ducts for a 2000 sf cape).

c914
09-22-2012, 09:00 PM
make sure you do your homework about the company you hire:

"HVAC companies are among the top 10 industries with the most complaints, according to the Better Business Bureau."

http://www.jsonline.com/sponsoredarticles/how-to/clearing-the-air-what-an-hvac-cleaner-should-really-do-in-your-home8062660304-168091896.html

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/pi/98981619.html

EllasMum
09-22-2012, 09:08 PM
I just had my ducts cleaned about a week ago, and I am really surprised at how much it seems to have improved the airflow out of the ducts! At first, I thought it was just my imagination but I am convinced the air really is flowing better. I highly recommend it!

infomama
09-22-2012, 09:28 PM
make sure you do your homework about the company [/url]

This is what I love about Angie's list.

Reader
09-23-2012, 12:55 AM
I don't have angle's list (probably should) but it does have an A+ BBB rating, so I went ahead and sprung for it. Thanks for the input!