PDA

View Full Version : Upper age for doll stroller?

ljackson
09-23-2012, 02:13 AM
DD would like a doll stroller for her 6th birthday and I will get her one but am wondering whether it is worth spending more on a better quality one or if she won't be playing with it for years and years so a cheaper one would be just fine. (I am in Europe so not really looking for specific brand recommendations: I could go for a brand that is probably comparable to PBK or one that is maybe more like Target.) At the moment she has one that is too small for her (the Maclaren quest) which she likes to play with, and I am fairly sure that if I got her a new one she would play with it enough to make it worth buying but she is fairly gentle on her toys so I don't expect it to see a lot of rough play. The options I am looking at are the ones that convert to take a carry cot or have a sitting up doll.

katydid1971
09-23-2012, 01:02 PM
I think it depends on your child. I visited a DGF this summer and her 12 yo still plays with her baby dolls. Her mom said that at her school the girls are either like her DD and very "young" or dressing like a pop star and texting the boys all day. Personally if you can "buy" her youth a little longer I would. But on that same note, since your DD probably won't be sitting in the doll stroller I don't see why you shouldn't get her the cheaper one.

GrammyK
09-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Would that be an option? When my DD wanted a doll stroller at that age we got a real inexpensive stroller and it worked out well. It fit larger baby dolls as well as stuffed animals. She was fine with the handle when she was younger and didn't have to bend over when she was taller.

Karen R

georgiegirl
09-23-2012, 06:51 PM
I like the idea of getting a cheap regular umbrella stroller. The handles would be perfect for a 6 year old. My 6 year old will still play with her doll stroller. It's a maclaren pram and its mostly a bed for her American girl dolls.

lalasmama
09-25-2012, 12:45 AM
DD's 8.5yo, and her Graco doll stroller still gets a ton of play--nearly every day. She's definitely starting to get pretty tall for it, but she doesn't seem to notice and/or care. She's had it for 6.5 years, and it's still going strong. Ours is almost identical to this one: http://www.apinkprincess.com/Travel-System-Doll-Stroller-and-Toy-Car-Seat-p-1771.html except Graco brand, and a different color scheme.

ljackson
10-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I never would have thought of buying a cheap real stroller but they don't seem to exist here. We went into a shop selling the cheaper one recently and DD specifically asked for that one, so I think that makes the decision easy. Glad to know she might play with it for a few years yet!

new_mommy25
10-07-2012, 04:15 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say I bought DD a pram for her 6th birthday. It was what she asked for and it's really cute. She already had an umbrella stroller but wanted the pram with removable carrycot. I bought her a navy Chicco pram for about $25 from Barnes&Noble. It's similar in style to PBK but without the price. Like you I didn't want to spend a large amount of money on something that wouldn't see too many years of play.