PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an Ikea bed for your DC?

lchang25000
09-23-2012, 09:50 AM
DS is still sleeping in his crib and we need to start looking for a regular bed for him. Does anyone have an Ikea bed and which one do you have, do you like it, how is it holding up? Thanks! :)

larig
09-23-2012, 10:20 AM
hemnes daybed w/ 3 drawers. It's great. Drawers are wonderful for toys.

hillview
09-23-2012, 10:56 AM
we have the basic platform bed (no drawers -- low to the ground)

daniele_ut
09-23-2012, 11:51 AM
DS1 has the black-brown Hemnes bed and has been using it for the past 5 years. We moved it once 4 years ago and it still looks brand new.

mikeys_mom
09-23-2012, 12:01 PM
We have the blue Mammut toddler bed. It has gone through 3 kids and is still in pretty good shape. The wood is all fine. In a couple of places the blue coating is bubbling a bit but I suspect that's from the kids dripping water on it. For the price, I have no complaints.

theriviera
09-23-2012, 12:13 PM
We have the Leirvik bed for DD1:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99849961/

We have only had it a few months but so far, so good.

MelissaTC
09-23-2012, 12:15 PM
My son is sleeping on an Ikea bed my mother purchased in 1992 or 1993. It is made of solid pine and very sturdy. DH and I are considering a Hemnes bed for him eventually to upgrade on style and color, maybe size. The Hemnes line is made of solid wood.

DH and I are sleeping on the Leirvik and love it. It's so pretty but not sure a little guy would appreciate it. ;)

waver
09-23-2012, 12:21 PM
We have the Odda, with 2 large drawers. There is also a choice for a trundle underneath. Very pleased with it.

endlessheather
09-23-2012, 12:33 PM
We have the Malm for our youngest son in black and love it. It's low to the ground and sturdy.

KDsMommy
09-23-2012, 12:43 PM
DS sleeps in the loft bed with the tent, can't remember the name. We love it

fivi2
09-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Question - we are debating this for a potential guest room (if our renovations ever happen). How does it work when you open it? Do you use the mattresses they recommend? Is it comfortable?

Thanks!

lmwbasye
09-23-2012, 01:00 PM
I can't find ours on the website but pretty sure it's the Trofast one. We've had it a few years now and really like it. Very sturdy and can hold us fine. This one starts at this size, extends a bit longer, and then one more time to twin. We like that versatility and DS loves his bed.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss176/lovingliam/5760081872_780124c8c3_b_zps8216bd2b.jpg

Nooknookmom
09-23-2012, 02:02 PM
DD2 has a queen Ikea bed. It was DD1's and when we added a room for her DD2 got it. Ironically DH and I also have the same queen headboard and frame but a different mattress.

DH And I had another Ikea bed, a full, that was solid wood. We had it for EVER! It held DH and I, 2 German shepherds, DD1 when she was born!!! Lots of memories :).

Gave it up when DD2 was born and got the queen!

BayGirl2
09-23-2012, 03:34 PM

We have the Hemnes daybed too. Ours is the dark wood and I believe it has 2 drawers not 3. It also extends out into a queen. We haven't even used the storage underneath. But it will come in handy later I'm sure. So far all of our Hemnes furniture has held up well, other than some little nicks which are to be expected.

BayGirl2
09-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Question - we are debating this for a potential guest room (if our renovations ever happen). How does it work when you open it? Do you use the mattresses they recommend? Is it comfortable?

Thanks!

Ours has 2 foam mattresses stacked on top of each other. (The ones they recommend) When you extend it the extra area slides out and you lay them side by side. I lay on it sometimes with DS and although its firmer than I'd personally prefer, its pretty comfy. Certainly fine for him and an occasional guest. It doesn't have the springs that make a sofa bed uncomfortable over time. It feels really sturdy for an extension, the entire base slides out.

doberbrat
09-23-2012, 04:02 PM
we have the extendable bed b/c dd1's room is teeny but we love it. no issues. and we got it used. Mattress isnt great but certainly comfy enough for us to sleep on occasionally. and dd1 has no complaints at all.

mommyoftwo
09-23-2012, 04:16 PM
We have had or are currently using three of their beds and have no complaints. For the money, you can't beat them.

fivi2
09-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Ours has 2 foam mattresses stacked on top of each other. (The ones they recommend) When you extend it the extra area slides out and you lay them side by side. I lay on it sometimes with DS and although its firmer than I'd personally prefer, its pretty comfy. Certainly fine for him and an occasional guest. It doesn't have the springs that make a sofa bed uncomfortable over time. It feels really sturdy for an extension, the entire base slides out.

Thanks! So when the mattresses are unstacked and spread out to make the queen size they aren't too thin for adult guests?

Pyrodjm
09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
We have a Malm twin in white for DD1. We love it. It's low to the ground which is great because she moved into it at 3yo from our king and rolled out a lot at first. DD2 can easily climb in and out too which is nice since they play together in it a lot. I let her decorate the white headboard with flower wall decals and she really enjoyed that.

larig
09-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks! So when the mattresses are unstacked and spread out to make the queen size they aren't too thin for adult guests?

No it is a king when pulled out 2 twins=1 king. I have 2 of the foam $149 mattresses. Not the cheapest foam. It is super comfy when pulled out. They're regular mattresses. I keep the mattresses both made up with sheets, and it has been a lifesaver on the few nights that DS has thrown up, and I had to change sheets--I just pull off the dirty sheets and swap the mattresses. Eta: sultan fonnes are the mattresses I bought.

fivi2
09-24-2012, 09:11 AM
No it is a king when pulled out 2 twins=1 king. I have 2 of the foam $149 mattresses. Not the cheapest foam. It is super comfy when pulled out. They're regular mattresses. I keep the mattresses both made up with sheets, and it has been a lifesaver on the few nights that DS has thrown up, and I had to change sheets--I just pull off the dirty sheets and swap the mattresses. Eta: sultan fonnes are the mattresses I bought.

Thanks! That sounds perfect. Do you change the orientation of the mattresses when open?

Melaine
09-24-2012, 09:14 AM
The girls each have a Kura and we love them. They have been great, and I will probably get one for DS as well. We have serious space issues and this helps.