PDA

View Full Version : Update- all set!-Frontier install q re. positioning block

SnuggleBuggles
09-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks!!

We are installing the Frontier 85 in harnessed mode and dh did the install with the positioning block in the back before he saw in the manual it should be in the front. The install looked so much better when it was in the back though! He can fit his arm behind the seat now and it hangs over the edge. It was flush and looked great before. I did read Jools reply in this thread (see, I tried to search first!) and it looks like the overhang is normal/ ok http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=371219&highlight=frontier%2C+positioning+block
but, I wanted to verify. The whole part about the big gap behind the seat doesn't seem ideal.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
09-23-2012, 10:23 AM
The gap's fine. Having a harnessed seat more reclined reduces head excursion and helps in side impacts, and the official standard for a good install is having 80% of the base of the seat on the vehicle cushion, so don't fret about back gaps (as annoying as they are...especially on jeans, hehehe).

SnuggleBuggles
09-23-2012, 10:57 AM
This is the husband, aka car seat installer. I'd have to switch it back to be sure, but I don't think 80% of the base is in contact with the seat. There's sort of a well where your butt would go in the back seats. It seemed like the contact was pretty much at the front positioning block and at the top where the versa-tether attaches, but the rest was floating slightly above the seat. It just seemed really wrong. I remember with older carseats folding or rolling towels under the carseat in my civic so that there would be more contact. I understand carseat designs change though :).

The carseat back is probably at 10-15 degrees recline with the block in the back. Son is nearly 5 if it makes much difference.

Joolsplus2
09-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Any way you could post us a picture? Sounds like you have fairly curvy vehicle seats? Does the seatback recline at all, or the headrest remove to allow things to move back a bit?