PDA

View Full Version : Flying and booster seat questions...

lexie's mom
09-23-2012, 10:42 AM
I have an 8 year old (whom is on the skinny side, she is 50 pounds and about 50 inches.) And, a 4 year old (whom is 43 inches and 45 pounds.) We use the Graco Nautilis (both still harnassed) but also have the Grace Turbo Boosters for my mom. We are flying to Disney and renting a car.

I am wondering:
Is it safe for them to sit on the plane without any carseat/booster seats?

Can I get away with just bringing the just the bottom of either the Nautilis or the Turbobooster seats for the rental car?
Is the Nautilis a better backless booster option? Or should I go with which one is lighter?

The condo we are staying at is very close to Disney and I do not think either of them would fall asleep in the car.

If they no do need to sit in it on the plane, am I able to get check it?

Thanks!

edurnemk
09-23-2012, 10:48 AM
At 40 lb they can sit on the plane without car seats and just use the lap belt. You can't use boosters ona plane, just harnessed seats.

I'm not sure about the other part of your question since my kids are still too young for boosters.

Joolsplus2
09-23-2012, 11:10 AM
I'd just bring the bottoms of the Turbos, they are easier to dismantle than the Natilii. Carry them on the plane (but, right, don't sit on them, kids are fine in just plane belts, they are low and crash forces are different) so they absolutely don't get lost in luggage and you end up with nothing at the other end (they are kind of heavy as boosters go, maybe you want to splurge on a couple of Harmony Youth Boosters from walmart or Cosco Top Sides from Target, each are only $13 and really super light to haul around).

lexie's mom
09-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks so much, I feel much safer about the plane situation. I will check the other boosters out. We can always use as as a spare of if we have an extra child with us.

ETA: I just ordered the Harmony ones and the girls were so happy that they are sitting in "Real Booster" seats in the rental car. I think DH and I are even happier that we don't have to lug a heavy seat around with us.