PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep most of your dc's toys?

fivi2
09-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Bedroom, playroom, living room, other?

We are slowly working toward a remodel. The girls will have a slightly bigger room than they do now. There will be an extra space that I was thinking would be like an office/art/craft/homework room. But then the bulk of their toys would have to go in their room. I could make that space a play room, but then the computer goes in the guestroom, which I don't love... And the girls wouldn't have a dedicated homework/game/craft area. Sigh.

This is a very small house, so most rooms will do double or triple duty.

Toys - they do a lot of art work. We have a bunch of games. The bulk of their remaining toys are building type - legos, blocks, marble run, magnetic thingies that aren't magnatiles (can't remember the name), and 1.3 trillion stuffed animals. (They are in first grade. Future dc looking very unlikely.)

The extra space is off the family room, near the kitchen (was going to be our dining space, but I am moving that elsewhere. I think.)

So where do you keep toys, and where do dc do homework?
Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
09-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Toys- family room and their rooms.
Art supplies- I store them in a built in cabinet in our dining room.
Homework- done at the dining room table.

trcy
09-23-2012, 01:37 PM
So where do you keep toys, and where do dc do homework?
Thanks!DD's toys are in the living room, art supplies are in stored in her room and pulled out when used. When she gets older I hope to move the toys into her room. She is too young for homework, but I am guessing it will be done at the kitchen table.

fivi2
09-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks! I just had the realization after typing it all out, that most of the toys could go in the guestroom, and then the extra space could still be more of an office/craft/art room.

We won't have a separate formal dining room, just one eating area, so I am afraid to store art stuff in there as it tends to take over our current eating area. My hope was that the office type room could have a table for arts and crafts...

swrc00
09-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I am moving a lot of stuff around since we will no longer have an office. The office will be DS2's room.
All of DS's toys used to be downstairs, but this needed to change because we needed an office space.
DS has two bookcases in his rooms with his toys on it. There is one 3x3 bookcase downstairs with baskets in it downstairs.
All of his board games are at the bottom of the linen closet.

brittone2
09-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Most toys are in the basement playroom

Each kid has a few basic (read: not especially messy) art supplies, paper, etc. in their room for quiet time
Each kid also has a few toys in their bedroom (Lego for DS1, AG dolls and accessories for DD, as well as some Lego for her too).

Most art supplies are in an armoire in our 3 seasons room/mudroom as that's the space we tend to use them in.

In the main floor living spaces, we keep a few toys that all 3 kids use, like magnatiles.

We HS, and they do work at the kitchen table, peninsula, or a long desk we have. Our study off the kitchen has our HSing and nonfiction books in a 5x5 expedit. That room has a long countertop with two computer stations set up for the kids, and kinderzeat type chairs for ergonomic seating. Since it is just off the kitchen, I can monitor what they are doing online once they have more options of places to go online ;)

In one of our previous homes, we didn't have a playroom or basement, so we had two 5x5 expedits on a long living room wall and we stored most of their toys and books there. The couches were centered with the fireplace, and the Expedits were kind of more toward a corner than the center of the room, so not so central as to make it look like a giant toy store. We also rotated toys a lot there so there wasn't as much out at any given time. In that place, we didn't have a DR, just an EIK, and we kept art supplies in a jelly cupboard kind of like this: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/abington-painted-cabinet-console/?pkey=cbar That way the top worked as a sideboard, and the inside had baskets with art supplies.

hillview
09-23-2012, 04:54 PM
playroom has most of them. Legos and some others in the bedrooms. They find their way to our living room and kitchen but back they must go.