PDA

View Full Version : Help! Sudden postpartum blood loss

ExcitedMamma
09-23-2012, 06:25 PM
I had my DD 11 days ago. Last night I got out of bed to use the bathroom and after a few steps had a sudden huge gush of blood and a baseball size blood clot. Called the hospital and they were perplexed but said to call back if I soaked a pad in an hour which I didn't. I'm in so much more pain now, the horrible cramps came back immediately after the blood and so did the internal pelvic pain. Anyone have this happen?

I didn't bleed much after delivery which confused me because I had heavy bleeding after DS but the nurses and the OB said my uterus was just contracting better this time and probably because DD was such a great nurser. I've been mostly resting and nursing DD so minimal activity and I wasn't laying down last night anymore than usual. I did walk more than I had been on Friday for DDs doctor appointment and following that went from no bleeding to some bright red bleeding again but not heavy. This has me freaked out! Any advice? Thanks!

hopeful_mama
09-23-2012, 11:25 PM
I have no advice but just wanted to give you hugs. That must be so scary, and I hope everything is ok. Lots of PTs for you! Keep us updated. :hug:

ArizonaGirl
09-23-2012, 11:48 PM
When I had my DD about a month ago, the Dr told me to call them if I passed a clot larger than a golf ball, so I would definitely call the on-call number.

HTH and hope you feel better, :hug:

MommyAllison
09-24-2012, 01:06 AM
I agree with the PP, my midwife said 1 golf ball size clot within the first few days was ok (maybe first week?), and anything bigger or later than that = call. :hug:

brittone2
09-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Ditto PPs. I've always been told to call if I passed any clots larger than a baseball. I think they will want to see you. Thinking of you! :grouphug:

Melaine
09-24-2012, 09:12 AM
I hope you are feeling better already, but I would definitely call about it too.

karstmama
09-24-2012, 09:25 AM
i agree you should call your ob - not the hospital - and let them know.

what happens is that if there is a clot, your uterus can't squeeze down as effectively. then, when the clot comes out, you cramp as your uterus works to 'take up the slack'. if it isn't happening a lot, they might not want you to come in (since it happened yesterday), but i bet they'd want to know.

but happening once & not again isn't too worrisome. keep an eye on it, but breathe - it sounds ok.

MSWR0319
09-24-2012, 09:38 AM
This happened to me at 7 days pp with DS1. I kept bleeding though and went to the ER. I had two more clots in me and they did a D&C to get them out. If I had gone to a larger hospital I'm guessing they may not have done the D&C but we went to the closest one. I too didn't bleed much after delivery. They never really gave me an explanation as to why it happened, but we did take some precautions with DS2 to prevent it as much as possible. My midwife said for some reason I probably clotted and the clot blocked blood from coming out until the preassure pushed the clot out. My uterus then had to begin clamping down again so it would shrink. Did you have any problems urinating after delivery? I did the second time and my dr said if your bladder doesn't empty your uterus gets pushed aside and increases your risk for clots. They had to cath me e second time because I couldn't go to the bathroom 4 hrs after delivery. I'd definitely call your OB. They may want to check blood levels. I'm sure it's rare, but I became severely anemic afterwards and had to have a transfusion a week later. Since you didn't bleed after the clot came out, I'd say you're probably fine but it can't hurt to check.

ETA I just remembered you had a long labor. I too had 40 hrs of labor with DS1 and after the clots came out they also told me it could have been from laboring so long. I guess your uterus gets worn out and then it's harder for it to contract properly after birth. I think I got at least 3 possible explanations but they couldn't confirm exactly what happened, just give me hypotheticals. I do remember finding online that long labors put you at a higher risk for clots.

edurnemk
09-24-2012, 10:41 AM
When I had my DD about a month ago, the Dr told me to call them if I passed a clot larger than a golf ball, so I would definitely call the on-call number.

HTH and hope you feel better, :hug:

:yeahthat: