PDA

View Full Version : Hair advice.... Frizzies

lalasmama
09-23-2012, 11:22 PM
I've started making an effort to pay attention to what I actually look like, and something has always alluded me....

Gorgeous hair.

Long story short, I don't use products on it, but SO thinks there's got to be something to control it so that I will like it. Main issue: it's frizzy. It's been colored using Sun-In, but that's it, and only 3 times over the summer. I use a Fructis "triple hydrated for dry/damaged hair" shampoo and conditioner every day (my scalp is pretty oily, so if I don't wash my hair daily, I look like I haven't washed it in a week by the second day). I don't blow-dry it very often (less than once a month). Typically, I wash it, towel dry it, comb through it, and head off to work with a slightly damp 'do. It's dry by the time I get to work, usually.

Suggestions on how to change this routine that will give me gorgeous hair? Or, if not "gorgeous," at least calm, well-behaved hair that doesn't leave me looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket? I've tried some spray gel when it's damp, but when it dries, I have crunchy product-hair... There's got to be something! :)

mjs64
09-23-2012, 11:32 PM
You need some sort of serum to apply to your towel dried hair--there are many available. Frizz-Ease is silicone based and works, but now I'm using Redken's finishing serum. There are likely other (maybe better?) options for the product, but I can tell you for sure that the serum is a must. Huge difference in my hair's life.

Oh, there's also a website (forgot the name), something like naturally curly, that may be helpful to you. On phone now but try googling it.

boilermakermom
09-23-2012, 11:56 PM
I love Alterna Bamboo Shine Silk Sleek Brilliance Cream. It is amazing!!!! I have always had wavy/frizzy hair. This makes my hair smooth and shiny!! I wish I would have found it years ago!

I use a dime size amount and smooth it on my hair the blow dry.

AshleyAnn
09-24-2012, 12:01 AM
My hair is difficult and frizzy like you described. I use Suave's Smothing Shampoo/Conditioner (Keritan infused line) to wash and condition it and it is by far my favorite of any brand I've tried. I wash mine every 2 - 3 days -the natural oils help with the frizz. Have you tried washing at night so you have some oil in your hair?

After I wash it I use Frizz-Ease's 'secret weapon finishing creme" after towel drying it (I see now it says to apply to dry hair but I find it works well to use on damp hair) I let mine air dry unless I'm pressed for time. Then before styling I apply a small dab of Suave's anti-frizz cream (Sleek line) over the top to tame the most obvious frizz. I style it with no other products. If I know its going to be humid I will apply a light layer of anti-humidity hair spray (I think mine is frutis, I perfer the nonaresol types they are less crunchy)

Tondi G
09-24-2012, 02:15 AM
I recently heard that the Mixed Chicks products are great for curly/frizzy hair. Might be worth checking out their products.

http://www.mixedchicks.net/

pinkmomagain
09-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Are you willing to use a straight iron? It's one of those inventions that I can't even remember what life was like before it. Oftentimes I let me hair air dry and then use it.

momm
09-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Have you heard of "no-pooing"?

Basically the concept says that there's no point in using a shampoo. Just use a little bit of conditioner instead of shampoo to wash your hair. Then use conditioner as you normally would. At first I thought yuck, how does the scalp and hair get clean? But it does!

I do no-pooing, and then no towel drying!! Just squeeze out water from hair, pat it with a towel. No blow dry ever.

Apply a serum while still damp. Let air dry.

This has worked best for me. I used to love/ hate my hair. I love how thick and wavy it is, but hated how frizzy and unruly it was. Now I love it.

Also second the straightener for meetings, anywhere I can't go with damp hair.

carolinamama
09-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Are you willing to use a straigt iron? It's one of those inventions that I can't even remember what life was like before it. Oftentimes I let me hair air dry and then use it.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

That's one of the things I could NOT live without. I have very frizzy hair if I don't use product and my flat iron. Love it. And if you have a good one, you can use it on your hair after it air dries.

I have used the Redken Smooth Down line in the past and liked it. Right now I'm using the Loreal Eversleek line shampoo, conditioner, and a defrizzer serum.

infomama
09-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Have you heard of "no-pooing"?

Basically the concept says that there's no point in using a shampoo. Just use a little bit of conditioner instead of shampoo to wash your hair. Then use conditioner as you normally would. At first I thought yuck, how does the scalp and hair get clean? But it does!

I do no-pooing, and then no towel drying!! Just squeeze out water from hair, pat it with a towel. No blow dry ever.

Interesting. This may push me to try this!
http://www.uniquelynormalmom.com/2011/06/2-years-of-no-poo-questions-pictures.html
Here's another blog..she uses a shampoo bar from Chagrin valley soap, too! Love them!! http://babyrouge.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-i-only-wash-my-hair-once-week-and.html

barkley1
09-24-2012, 09:25 AM
The difference between when I air dry and blow dry my hair is off the charts. I HAVE to blow dry it if I want nice smooth hair. I use Shine Shock by John Freida on it first and love that product. You need to use a round bristled brush too.

m448
09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
When you were younger what was the natural texture of your hair? A lot of the issues most women tend to have with their hair are usually aggravated with traditional methods. Piling on occlusive silicones makes for even more strawlike hair, overwashing due to oily scalp could be stripping your hair follicle of much needed natural sebum. Sunin, doesn't that stuff have a good amount of alcohol in it? Straightening iron? Not a fan but I'm a curly and our hair follicle has a different shape and believe it or not also a bit more fragile that those with straight hair.

I'm a no pooer and have been for the past 5ish years. I don't do the baking soda/vinegar method but the wash with a simple conditioner one. I'm also a former naturallycurly.com member and highly recommend it for more the huge amount of awareness you can glean about your hair. From wavy to curly to kinky you'll find a wealth of information. I remember when I first joined more than 12 years ago finally sick of straightening my hair with heat and/or chemical methods but not quite sure how to style my curls.

I wash with conditioner scrubbing my scalp well. It's a method that needs a good 2-3 weeks of transitioning as your scalp dials back the oil production in response to not being stripped anymore. I use a simple conditioner that won't strip my hair yet cause residue. NC.com is a great place to figure out the chemistry behind products and find the right one for your. I only detangle my hair in the shower with a wide tooth comb from the bottom up to avoid breakage. I put on quite a bit of a simple gel while in the shower making sure to coat everywhere including the nape of my head, the crown and all along the edges. Then I scrunch my hair with a microfiber towel to shape, remove moisture but not frizz the hair up like a regular terry towel. Otherwise my hair would not be dry until nighttime and the excess moisture pulls the curl down.

I do the scrunching upside down to promote volume. The difference between a good 'do and a bad one is usually lack of volume even for straighties. In an hour or two my hair is usually dry and I flip my head over, stick my finger tips into the root of my hair and fluff/crunch out the root only, then gently the ends of my hair. Some curlies use a diffuser to avoid having to wait on their hair to dry but I'm all about the easy. Also, never ever fuss with curly hair when wet but already styled. You'll pull out the curl and end up with a frizzy mess.

However, this only applies if you are a curly. Even if you're not, it doesn't hurt to be a bit more kind to your hair and work with its natural tendancies to bring out your personal style.

doberbrat
09-24-2012, 12:52 PM
are you wearing your hair straight or curly? These days I'm wearing mine curly. I detangle in the shower w/conditioner in it. Then I apply a smidge of coconut oil and comb it to style (ie, part it ) Then I quickly rinse the long part (leaving the scalp alone) and squeeze the water out of my hair. I apply curling custard I think its by kinky curly and I wrap in a towel for a few minutes. During the winter, when I need dry hair in the car, I turn the heat on high and aim the jets toward my hair. at the lights, I bend my head and work on the back a bit.

Once I comb it in the shower, I do not touch it again.

marymoo86
09-24-2012, 01:11 PM
When you were younger what was the natural texture of your hair? A lot of the issues most women tend to have with their hair are usually aggravated with traditional methods. Piling on occlusive silicones makes for even more strawlike hair, overwashing due to oily scalp could be stripping your hair follicle of much needed natural sebum. Sunin, doesn't that stuff have a good amount of alcohol in it? Straightening iron? Not a fan but I'm a curly and our hair follicle has a different shape and believe it or not also a bit more fragile that those with straight hair.

I'm a no pooer and have been for the past 5ish years. I don't do the baking soda/vinegar method but the wash with a simple conditioner one. I'm also a former naturallycurly.com member and highly recommend it for more the huge amount of awareness you can glean about your hair. From wavy to curly to kinky you'll find a wealth of information. I remember when I first joined more than 12 years ago finally sick of straightening my hair with heat and/or chemical methods but not quite sure how to style my curls.

I wash with conditioner scrubbing my scalp well. It's a method that needs a good 2-3 weeks of transitioning as your scalp dials back the oil production in response to not being stripped anymore. I use a simple conditioner that won't strip my hair yet cause residue. NC.com is a great place to figure out the chemistry behind products and find the right one for your. I only detangle my hair in the shower with a wide tooth comb from the bottom up to avoid breakage. I put on quite a bit of a simple gel while in the shower making sure to coat everywhere including the nape of my head, the crown and all along the edges. Then I scrunch my hair with a microfiber towel to remove shape, remove moisture but not frizz the hair up like a regular terry towel. Otherwise my hair would not be dry until nighttime and the excess moisture pulls the curl down.

I do the scrunching upside down to promote volume. The difference between a good 'do and a bad one is usually lack of volume even for straighties. In an hour or two my hair is usually dry and I flip my head over, stick my finger tips into the root of my hair and fluff/crunch out the root only, then gently the ends of my hair. Some curlies use a diffuser to avoid having to wait on their hair to dry but I'm all about the easy. Also, never ever fuss with curly hair when wet but already styled. You'll pull out the curl and end up with a frizzy mess.

However, this only applies if you are a curly. Even if you're not, it doesn't hurt to be a bit more kind to your hair and work with its natural tendancies to bring out your personal style.

I've been toying with this as well. My hair doesn't get oily until 5-6 days after I wash. Have been using TJ's tea tree oil. Thinking the transition to no poo might not be difficult. Do you make your own conditioner or buy?

m448
09-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Nah, I just use a fragrance free cheapie from earth science. I used to use giovanni but one of the slip ingredients was starting to dry my hair out. My gel is conventional but a compromise since it's so difficult to find one that works and isn't too expensive since I go through a lot. I use the LaBella curls gel which is also insanely cheap.

infocrazy
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
The difference between when I air dry and blow dry my hair is off the charts. I HAVE to blow dry it if I want nice smooth hair.

:yeahthat:
but I still don't blow dry it...maybe a few times a year for special events, but it makes a big difference. Another thing is that I keep a brush in my car and brush my hair when it is dry. Makes a big difference than just air dried.

liz
09-25-2012, 01:38 PM
I have frizzy color treated hair. I bought this product from my hair salon after my hairstylist used it on me. It's like magic for my hair- it actually tames the poof and frizz I have on the ends of my hair. The only downfall is the price. I was really hesitant to try it because of the cost (I have spent SO much money on drugstore hair products), but honestly the stuff works amazingly well. I am trying to make it last longer so I only use one pump which is about a dime size. For much better effects I would use 3 pumps and then voila- sleek hair. When I use other products I have to use a ton of product and NOTHING has worked as well as this product.

FTR, I blowdry and then straighten my hair. I cannot go longer than 3 days without washing as it is too oily.

http://www.amazon.com/Kerastase-Resistance-Fibre-Architecte-Treatment/dp/B005TW5N0G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

DrSally
09-25-2012, 09:58 PM
I mix both a serum and cream. Works wonders. You might want to lay off the sun-in. Idk, but I wonder if the bleaching effect isnfrying your hair.

liz
09-29-2012, 10:51 AM
I mix both a serum and cream. Works wonders.

Mind sharing what products you use?

DrSally
09-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Mind sharing what products you use?

A variety of things, but most often I use this Organix argan oil serum from CVS-- recommended by another BBBer and Suave styling cream. I also like Frizz ease mousse if I don't want the heaviness of a cream. I have coarse, thick, wavy hair.

SnuggleBuggles
09-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Blow drying my hair has made a world of difference. Sorry!