PDA

View Full Version : Car seats and airline travel Qs

twowhat?
09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
This is kind of a cross-post from my question in the Lounge.

We're taking the girls to DL next year - they will be 4.5 years old and it will be their very first flight. They are currently 31-32 pounds and 37-39 inches tall. We plan on bringing their Safety 1st Avenues (our secondary seats).

From my Lounge post it seems pretty clear that they're fine to sit on the plane without their car seats.

2 questions (I hope Jools is here!)

- I assume they will NOT be old enough for boosters. Am I correct?

- In terms of making sure we get our car seats in usable condition at our destination, I should put the car seats in travel bags and gate check them? Is there anything else I can do to assure that we get our car seats back in usable condition? I'm just paranoid that we will get there, and one car seat will be broken. Or lost. Then we'd be stuck at the airport since we need the car seats to install in a rental car.

Thanks!

jjordan
09-24-2012, 02:12 PM
I would not put a <40 pound 4 year old in a booster. You mentioned renting a car, but if you decide to not do that and use Disney transportation instead, you might not need car seats at all. I'm not sure about DL, but for DW, the "magical express" that takes you from the airport to the hotel is a huge bus where you can't use car seats, and then the transportation around the resort is also hotels. (If you do end up renting a car, then you definitely should bring your own seats.)

As far as how to bring the seats, I would definitely bring them and use them on the plane, just because that is the best way to ensure that they do not get lost or damaged. The girls would probably be fine without them on the plane, but the seats might not be fine.

Incidentally, how much growing room do the girls have in their Avenues? Obviously they need to have not outgrown them by height if you're planning to use them on the trip. :)

Joolsplus2
09-24-2012, 07:11 PM
:yeahthat:
But check in again closer to your flight, in case you hammer out any more travel details or someone invents a cool new carseat/harness thingie you might want to take (hey, things move fast, ya never know what will be out in a year!)

Mommy_Mea
09-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Any chance you still have the boxes for the carseats? I was just reading old threads to get ideas for our flight in 2 weeks. We are planning on getting a CARES harness for DS1 and checking the carseat. Luckily, we kept the box for the carseat (holding winter coats), and someone recommended that in another thread.

sariana
09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
I don't think Disneyland provides any kind of transportation from the airport(s), and there is no "in-park" transportation (besides parking shuttles) because it just isn't that big. So I don't think that type of bus is an option.

I have no advice about the seats, though. Sorry. Are you flying to LAX or Orange County?

twowhat?
09-24-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't think Disneyland provides any kind of transportation from the airport(s), and there is no "in-park" transportation (besides parking shuttles) because it just isn't that big. So I don't think that type of bus is an option.

I have no advice about the seats, though. Sorry. Are you flying to LAX or Orange County?

Our friends who live in the area said to fly into John Wayne if possible. We will definitely need the car seats though - we will be combining a DL trip with a trip to visit these friends so we definitely need our own transporation.

So yeah, it makes sense that the way to ensure we have our seats at the end of the trip is to take them on the plane, but I'm really thinking the PITA component of that outweights the risk that something might happen. Not sure how we'd wrangle 2 kids, 2 car seats, plus all our carryons...

We didn't keep the boxes (darn) but I am sure they sell some good car seat bags that would be more protective than the ones they hand out at the airport? Gonna look into that next...

And, yes they are still well within the height limit FF in these seats and I expect them to still fit fine in 6 months!

spunkybaby
09-25-2012, 08:37 AM
I just posted in your other thread, but what about buying the Ride Safer Travel Vests for your DDs?

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com

We bought ours exactly for this kind of situation--plane flight when DD1 was too small for a booster. It has come in very handy over the years.

AnnieW625
09-25-2012, 12:28 PM

Magic Express goes from DL to Orange County, and LAX.

In regards to car seats for a vacation type trip like this I would be fine with my daughter in a booster seat esp. if it is just to get you from the airport to the resort, and honestly if that is all you are going to be doing then I would just take the Magic Express. I believe it is free, but you have to stay on the property. If you are fine with chain restaurants and eating at DL for your entire trip then I don't really think you will need a car and there is stuff that is walkable near the resort. The Anaheim Garden Walk area is pretty new.

Like I said in the other post I have never had a car seat damaged when I have checked it at the ticket counter. I just use the clear plastic bag they provide. I have figured WCS if the seat gets lost then I would send my DH or I would find the nearest Target to get a cheapo seat(s) for the trip, but it has never once happened to us (and we fly at least twice, if not three times per year).

BabbyO
09-25-2012, 03:44 PM
I just posted in your other thread, but what about buying the Ride Safer Travel Vests for your DDs?

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com

We bought ours exactly for this kind of situation--plane flight when DD2 was too small for a booster. It has come in very handy over the years.

So wait...these vests are ok to use in a car. Without a booster or any other type of carseat? And from the website it look like it can accommodate kids from about 3 yo (30lbs and 34 in tall) and older. Why not use this instead of a carseat on a regular basis?

I'm truly trying to understand...and have to say I WISH, WISH, WISH I'd seen this 3 weeks ago prior to our trip to the Bahamas...where the only thing I convinced my husband of was the fact that I'm insane and he NEVER wants to travel with carseats on a plane again.

Please...tell me more about these. It says the best alternative to a booster...but the weights and heights seem to be for smaller kiddos, too?? DS is 3 yo, just turned FF in his convertible at 35 lbs (max RF limit on our seat) and 36-38 in or so...

twowhat?
09-25-2012, 03:56 PM
So wait...these vests are ok to use in a car. Without a booster or any other type of carseat? And from the website it look like it can accommodate kids from about 3 yo (30lbs and 34 in tall) and older. Why not use this instead of a carseat on a regular basis?

I'm truly trying to understand...and have to say I WISH, WISH, WISH I'd seen this 3 weeks ago prior to our trip to the Bahamas...where the only thing I convinced my husband of was the fact that I'm insane and he NEVER wants to travel with carseats on a plane again.

Please...tell me more about these. It says the best alternative to a booster...but the weights and heights seem to be for smaller kiddos, too?? DS is 3 yo, just turned FF in his convertible at 35 lbs (max RF limit on our seat) and 36-38 in or so...

Whoa - I've heard of these before but thought they were only for airplane use. Whuck? You can use this in place of a harnessed seat or booster? And I was looking at the age/weights and my girls are in the range. But I'm a little, uh, weirded out that these could be used in place of a harnessed seat...Jools?? :)

BabbyO
09-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Whoa - I've heard of these before but thought they were only for airplane use. Whuck? You can use this in place of a harnessed seat or booster? And I was looking at the age/weights and my girls are in the range. But I'm a little, uh, weirded out that these could be used in place of a harnessed seat...Jools?? :)

My exact thoughts...though they can NOT be used on planes...there is a different vest (CARES Aviation Vest) that can be used on planes.

OP - sorry to hijack

Twowhat - you said "Whuck"!!!! You rock. It is my new favorite word as of a few weeks ago! :)

Joolsplus2
09-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Had one, loved it, would buy it again, recommend it a lot (if you ask the right questions! :ROTFLMAO:).
Why not always use it? It's a pain in the behind to buckle the kid up more than once or twice a day (oh man, bad memories of a house hunting trip in a new town...), and not terrific for sleep support. But for travel? Looooove it.

BabbyO
09-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Had one, loved it, would buy it again, recommend it a lot (if you ask the right questions! :ROTFLMAO:).Why not always use it? It's a pain in the behind to buckle the kid up more than once or twice a day (oh man, bad memories of a house hunting trip in a new town...), and not terrific for sleep support. But for travel? Looooove it.

Good to know! Hate when you don't know the right questions to ask.:shrug: Never even occurred to me there was another option.

Its ok for the smaller kiddos that are still normally in a convertible FF?? (Assuming they meet the weight and height noted on the vest)

twowhat?
09-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Good to know! Hate when you don't know the right questions to ask.:shrug: Never even occurred to me there was another option.

Its ok for the smaller kiddos that are still normally in a convertible FF?? (Assuming they meet the weight and height noted on the vest)

Thanks for asking all my questions for me, LOL:) I was just about to ask the exact same thing since mine are in a convertible FF at 31-32 pounds and 37-39 inches.

This might be our answer to not lugging 2 car seats through the airport! And it wouldn't hurt to have them as back-up for grandparents at home, though it looks like it takes some fiddling to install - hopefully do-able for grandparents' weaker hands (they have trouble buckling our radians and safey 1st avenues).

Jools, one other question - is the fit picky depending on the car like traditional car seats? We'll have a rental, and so we won't know for sure what we get until we get it. Does this install nicely in most cars?

BabbyO
09-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Ok, Jools, if you don't mind, one other question about the vest. The small says for kids 3 yo, with the low end of the weight/height range being 30 lbs and 34". Do all of these criteria have to be met to use the vest? Is height more critical than weight?

I'm thinking about my niece who is tall and skinny. At 3 yo, she'd meet the height criteria no problem, but not the weight...would it be ok for her to use the vest?

Further, what about a 2.5+ yo who meets both weight and height requirements? Can he/she use the vest. It wasn't clear to me on the website.

THX!

BabbyO
09-25-2012, 05:09 PM
My exact thoughts...though they can NOT be used on planes...there is a different vest (CARES Aviation Vest) that can be used on planes.

OP - sorry to hijack

Twowhat - you said "Whuck"!!!! You rock. It is my new favorite word as of a few weeks ago! :)

Thanks for asking all my questions for me, LOL:) I was just about to ask the exact same thing since mine are in a convertible FF at 31-32 pounds and 37-39 inches.

This might be our answer to not lugging 2 car seats through the airport! And it wouldn't hurt to have them as back-up for grandparents at home, though it looks like it takes some fiddling to install - hopefully do-able for grandparents' weaker hands (they have trouble buckling our radians and safey 1st avenues).

Jools, one other question - is the fit picky depending on the car like traditional car seats? We'll have a rental, and so we won't know for sure what we get until we get it. Does this install nicely in most cars?

Sorry, Twowhat - I didn't catch that you were the OP....brain foggy today, getting a cold...

Joolsplus2
09-25-2012, 08:31 PM
For older kids who will sit well in newer/rental cars, it's all good. The fit is weird, like, way up off the shoulder, but the point is that it positions the belt low on the lap and on the shoulder and spreads forces evenly.

Little kids on the bottom of the weight/height/age limits tend to be too wiggly, it really is more like a booster in that it doesn't hold them in place very well. I'd do it if I could sit right next to them and keep them in place, like if I were a frequent cab rider and sat back there with them on short trips. It's really a light, safe booster replacement that looks like a harness, more than the full-on safety of properly installed harnessed seat.

spunkybaby
09-26-2012, 11:28 PM
I learned about the vests on this board many, many moons ago. I guess they haven't been mentioned recently though.

They are a little bit of a pain to use (threading the seatbelt etc.), so I'm not sure they would be good for grandparent use, but they are great for air travel and for when you need a narrow "car seat" since they don't add very much extra bulk and are basically the width of the child.

My understanding was that the minimum weight was non-negotiable. I have the old version, where the minimum weight is 35 pounds. I was so happy when DD1 hit 35 lbs, and we could use this as a carseat alternative and just bring one harnessed carseat for DD2.

BabbyO--sorry that it's too late for your Bahamas trip, though. Twowhat--I hope this is helpful for your trip planning!