PDA

View Full Version : It's been over 5 years

infomama
09-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Just made our final payment for our November trip to WDW! Haven't been there in 5 years and we went in September last time. Any tips? The mouse boards can be SO overwhelming.

hillview
09-29-2012, 08:40 AM
If you are considering staying on site consider renting points for a DVC -- we did BLT and rented points and it was great!

ray7694
09-29-2012, 08:54 AM
hillview I am looking into this. Where did you stay and any tips?

infomama
09-29-2012, 08:56 AM
If you are considering staying on site consider renting points for a DVC -- we did BLT and rented points and it was great!
We are staying on site. We stayed at POR last time and chose that again. Tell me more about this.
OK...I looked into it a bit and went to the suggested site (Dave's?) and all the point values for our dates are 0. I am assuming that means there is nothing available. I'm OK with POR.

hillview
09-29-2012, 09:11 AM
we did it from here.
http://www.dvcrequest.com/rental_process.htm
we rented a 1 br at BLT. It was less than staying at the poly and we had an extra room, extra bathroom and a kitchen so we could make small meals as we wanted.

how many days are you going? Remind me how old the kids are?

WatchingThemGrow
09-29-2012, 09:26 AM
We like POR - just went there less than 6 weeks ago. They've refurbished the rooms, although ours had wet carpet in one corner (a foreshadowing of what our next month of housing would be like!!) DD slept on the kid murphy bed. Actually, DS1 started out sleeping there, but got scared by the alligator drawing behind the bed, lol.

The playground is nice, as is the boat ride and the walk over to POFQ. We went over there for breakfast (huge beignets!) for our 7th anniversary.

Fantasyland has started opening some stuff, so that's cool. Read this page to find out what's new. http://allears.net/tp/mk/mk.htm

Something that freaked me out was that fast passes are ONLY good during the window as of this spring. That stunk as we missed out on riding Peter Pan this time since we didn't know that. Also, the embroidery shop where you can buy mouse ears has moved from the next-to-the castle location to the shop at the exit of Mickey's Philharmagic.

Something that hasn't changed is the kindness factor. DH was on the magical express heading to the airport (leaving us in FL to visit my mom) when he realized he had an expensive pocket knife in his briefcase. He doesn't fly often for work, and just didn't realize it until he was almost at the airport. He texted me about it when we were at the Mr. Potato Head kiosk getting parts, and I told him to wrap it up in a box/envelope/something and put my name on it and POR. He got a box from the driver, packed it up, and asked him to deliver it to the front desk for me to pick up. Worked perfectly. Crisis/arrest averted!!

infomama
09-29-2012, 09:37 AM
we did it from here.
http://www.dvcrequest.com/rental_process.htm
we rented a 1 br at BLT. It was less than staying at the poly and we had an extra room, extra bathroom and a kitchen so we could make small meals as we wanted.

how many days are you going? Remind me how old the kids are?

Six nights...... 5 and 9
I think we're cool with POR. I just emailed my ta and requested the alligator bayou room as we stayed in the mansion last time. Love the idea of a newly remodeled room. We're on the dining plan, too.

infomama
09-29-2012, 09:55 AM
We like POR - just went there less than 6 weeks ago. They've refurbished the rooms, although ours had wet carpet in one corner (a foreshadowing of what our next month of housing would be like!!) DD slept on the kid murphy bed. Actually, DS1 started out sleeping there, but got scared by the alligator drawing behind the bed, lol.

The playground is nice, as is the boat ride and the walk over to POFQ. We went over there for breakfast (huge beignets!) for our 7th anniversary.

Fantasyland has started opening some stuff, so that's cool. Read this page to find out what's new. http://allears.net/tp/mk/mk.htm

Something that freaked me out was that fast passes are ONLY good during the window as of this spring. That stunk as we missed out on riding Peter Pan this time since we didn't know that. Also, the embroidery shop where you can buy mouse ears has moved from the next-to-the castle location to the shop at the exit of Mickey's Philharmagic.

Something that hasn't changed is the kindness factor. DH was on the magical express heading to the airport (leaving us in FL to visit my mom) when he realized he had an expensive pocket knife in his briefcase. He doesn't fly often for work, and just didn't realize it until he was almost at the airport. He texted me about it when we were at the Mr. Potato Head kiosk getting parts, and I told him to wrap it up in a box/envelope/something and put my name on it and POR. He got a box from the driver, packed it up, and asked him to deliver it to the front desk for me to pick up. Worked perfectly. Crisis/arrest averted!!
Thanks!

infomama
09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Here is where I made reservations. Feedback please!
Cindys Royal Table(lunch-character meal)-i know the food is poor here but doing it for the experience
Rose and crown (dinner)
Crystal Palace (lunch)
Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner)
Sanna (dinner)
Les Chefs De France (lunch)

hillview
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Here is where I made reservations. Feedback please!
Cindys Royal Table(lunch-character meal)-i know the food is poor here but doing it for the experience
Rose and crown (dinner)
Crystal Palace (lunch)
Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner)
Sanna (dinner)
Les Chefs De France (lunch)

enjoy the castle (agree with you on food and experience)
Never eaten at the rose and crown
crystal palace is fun for the characters (typical disney buffet)
We like liberty tree -- I think there is still no alcohol at the MK so if that isn't an issue it should be great (DH would not do that)
Sanna we didn't do
Les Chefs was great! -- Make sure you book at a time when remy comes by if you can

the hoop de do is fun
cali grill is excellent food but very $$
we like the princesses at epcot (forgetting the name of the place)
the plaza at MK is a relaxing sandwich place -- we usually eat early (1130/1145)
the garden grill with chip and dale in epcot was a decent meal -- again relaxing
the kids really enjoyed teppan edo in epcot (japanese restaurant where they make your food on the hot surface in front of you -- some action!)
tusker house for breakfast with minnie and mickey is cute and the food is slightly better than regular buffet
the cape may cafe was good -- best of all a nice walking area around there
the grand Floridian cafe was also nice and a nice walk around that hotel

we usually go for 6 days and do 2x MK, one day each of the other parks and then let the kids decide on the other day. It has worked out well (we've gone to MK one of those times and to epcot the other time). We never bother with park hoppers and have no issues. Getting there at opening time/rope drop is key. Planning to either hit a park for EMH when it is AM and getting there at rope drop or avoiding the park all together if they have EMH is advisable. We usually leave the park after lunch and hang out at the hotel pool for the afternoon and then sometimes return to the park for supper.
ENJOY!

infomama
10-11-2012, 12:29 PM
enjoy the castle (agree with you on food and experience)
Never eaten at the rose and crown
crystal palace is fun for the characters (typical disney buffet)
We like liberty tree -- I think there is still no alcohol at the MK so if that isn't an issue it should be great (DH would not do that)
Sanna we didn't do
Les Chefs was great! -- Make sure you book at a time when remy comes by if you can

the hoop de do is fun
cali grill is excellent food but very $$
we like the princesses at epcot (forgetting the name of the place)
the plaza at MK is a relaxing sandwich place -- we usually eat early (1130/1145)
the garden grill with chip and dale in epcot was a decent meal -- again relaxing
the kids really enjoyed teppan edo in epcot (japanese restaurant where they make your food on the hot surface in front of you -- some action!)
tusker house for breakfast with minnie and mickey is cute and the food is slightly better than regular buffet
the cape may cafe was good -- best of all a nice walking area around there
the grand Floridian cafe was also nice and a nice walk around that hotel

we usually go for 6 days and do 2x MK, one day each of the other parks and then let the kids decide on the other day. It has worked out well (we've gone to MK one of those times and to epcot the other time). We never bother with park hoppers and have no issues. Getting there at opening time/rope drop is key. Planning to either hit a park for EMH when it is AM and getting there at rope drop or avoiding the park all together if they have EMH is advisable. We usually leave the park after lunch and hang out at the hotel pool for the afternoon and then sometimes return to the park for supper.
ENJOY!
I just saw this response...thanks!