PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with this eggplant?

crl
09-29-2012, 05:15 PM
We got one small eggplant in our veggie box this week. Dh and ds aren't eggplant fans so I haven't ever realy fixed it much. What should I do with it? Preferably and easy side dish since its not a favorite around here and I only have one small one. I am going to the store tomorrow so I can get any other ingredients there.

(Maybe just mixed oven roasted vegetables?)

Thanks!
Catherine

elbenn
09-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I would just roast it with a little olive oil and salt.

Beth24
09-29-2012, 08:37 PM
I usually roast or grill it, either in chunks for roasting or slices to grill, with olive oil salt and pepper. Whichever way you go, cut it in advance and let it drain on paper towel first. Draining the moisture first helps it carmelize more, and not steam!

theriviera
09-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I love this recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/orzo-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe/index.html

LMPC
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
This is what I would do, too.

Aishe
09-30-2012, 03:27 AM
Is it light purple or dark purple? (I ask because you say it's small and the light purple eggplants are usually small.) The light purple ones are Asian eggplants and are excellent in stir-fries.

TwinFoxes
09-30-2012, 07:16 AM

:yeahthat: So good.

crl
09-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Is it light purple or dark purple? (I ask because you say it's small and the light purple eggplants are usually small.) The light purple ones are Asian eggplants and are excellent in stir-fries.

Light purple. Would it still be good oven roasted? I don't have a stir fry planned this week.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

Aishe
10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Light purple. Would it still be good oven roasted? I don't have a stir fry planned this week.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

I've never roasted Asian eggplants, but I'm sure it would be fine. They are just more mild in flavor (not so bitter), with a more tender skin, which is why they're nice in stir-fries.