PDA

View Full Version : Can't sleep

Jupiter
09-30-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm 19 weeks pregnant and exhausted. However I can't seem to get a good nights sleep. I wake anywhere from 2-6 times a night to go to the bathroom or just wake and can't fall back to sleep. On top of hat I'm uncomfortable and my lower back it killing me. Any suggestions??

Thanks

TwinFoxes
09-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Do you have any sort of body pillow? That might help. Or even a pillow under your tummy, and one between your knees. That's what I did. Good luck. :hug:

momm
09-30-2012, 07:38 AM
I use this body pillow when I'm pregnant

Leachco back and body (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002E7DIQ/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=fromonedesimo-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0002E7DIQ&adid=1WK95QPPHA39BBYGXXMV)

And let me tell you it's worth its' weight in gold.

Before I got it, I would get up in the middle of the night and go prop myself up on the couch and try to get a few winks. After this one, I only got up to pee, which was fine. You don't want to dehydrate yourself when you're pregnant!

Good luck.. hope you get some sleep!

SnuggleBuggles
09-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Doing the yoga cat stretch a few times while in bed, then laying down immediately to sleep helps reposition baby up and off of your bladder. Read that in the (awesome!) book, "the Birth Book" by Dr. Sears.

A walk in the evening could help the sleep too.

jam224
10-01-2012, 03:46 AM
Listening to relaxing music at bedtime helped me. I highly recommend this CD, The Comfort Zone (http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-Steven-Halpern/dp/B000008GCD/).

I had terrible tailbone pain at the end of my pregnancy, so I went to see a chiropractor that specializes in working with pregnant women. Oh, it was heavenly! I felt like a new woman! Took two appointments, but they did the trick. Total relief!

Jupiter
10-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try all the suggestions!

zag95
10-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I'd see if you can get some physical therapy for your lower back.... might help! It did for me!!

Also, ask your doc if there is something to help...maybe something to help you sleep or suggestions?

BabyBearsMom
10-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Body pillow + prenatal yoga

Jupiter
10-01-2012, 05:12 PM
I wish I could afford prenatal yoga.

lizzywednesday
10-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I wish I could afford prenatal yoga.

There are some great videos out there for not a lot of $$ if you're already familiar with yoga practice.

I liked this one with Shiva Rea:

http://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Yoga-Shiva-Rea/dp/B0000BYNMH

(There's also a posting by the Gaiam company on YouTube; you can find it if you Google "prenatal yoga shiva rea")

In addition to a nice-quality mat, it's helpful to have a straight-backed chair, a yoga brick (or even a quart-sized milk or juice container washed out really well & stuffed with newspaper and taped shut) and a beach towel or blanket that can be rolled & used as a bolster.

PearlsMom
10-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm working with a chiro who specializes in maternal medicine this pregnancy, and it's really helped with my comfort and flexibility. I feel about the same at 34 weeks as I did at 20, so that's pretty great. Insurance covers most of the cost. Might be worth looking into.

Last pregnancy I loved my snoogle body pillow; this time I can't stand it but like to have a bunch of regular bed pillows to tuck around. Experiment!

echoesofspring
10-03-2012, 02:49 PM
I have to have a pillow between my legs, or I just can't get settled right. I've also started taking my prenatal and some magnesium (restless leg) an hour or so before bed, that seems to help.

I found some free prenatal yoga videos on iTunes.