PDA

View Full Version : slow cooker recipe adaptation question

TwoBees
10-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Hoping some of the slow cooker gurus can answer this. I have an oven recipe for beef brisket that calls for one can of soda (which I assume is because the acidity and carbonation help to tenderize the meat). Should I omit the soda for the slow cooker? The meat should tenderize just by cooking for 6 or more hours, correct? Or do I need the added liquid?

o_mom
10-01-2012, 12:28 PM
My favorite crock pot recipe calls for a can of soda, so I would just go with it.

logan's mom
10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I would just go with it. I have a Spicy Dr Pepper Pork crock pot recipes that calls for a can of Dr. Pepper.

m448
10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
It's likely the citric acid (most sodas have it I think) and the sugar aside from the fluid. I would use fruit juice if I had it on hand, like apple or white grape. Or you could do sparkling cider as well. Otherwise I'd just add some broth or half the amount of water since most crock pot recipes end up with a huge amount of liquid if the vessel is filled to the proper halfway point.

lizzywednesday
10-01-2012, 12:47 PM
It'll be fine.

We used root beer to make pulled pork 2 weeks ago and I used the whole bottle (12 oz) ... came out fine, though I did drain it before shredding & combining with BBQ sauce.

The only time I'd reduce the amount out of the bottle is when you're using alcohol - maybe half alcohol and half reduced sodium broth.

If you want the cola to help flavor the meat, stab it a few times on both sides with a fork before tossing it into the slow cooker & pouring the cola on top.

daisymommy
10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Yep, I have several Crockpot recipes such as pulled pork that call for a can of soda.