PDA

View Full Version : My Yahoo email was hacked, and my Debt card was compromised

Kymberley
10-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Thank goodness DH checked our bank account this morning and found an unauthorized purchase from Walmart.com. I called the bank and canceled my debt card and disputed the charge. Is there anything else I need to do? And am I wrong in thinking that this recently happened to someone else on the BBB? I seem to recall seeing a thread about a similar incident, but I can't be sure. Man, this is aggravating.

brittone2
10-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Thank goodness DH checked our bank account this morning and found an unauthorized purchase from Walmart.com. I called the bank and canceled my debt card and disputed the charge. Is there anything else I need to do? And am I wrong in thinking that this recently happened to someone else on the BBB? I seem to recall seeing a thread about a similar incident, but I can't be sure. Man, this is aggravating.
From the other post I thought I remembered the issue being with walmart's site?

Kymberley
10-02-2012, 07:50 AM
From the other post I thought I remembered the issue being with walmart's site?

I think you are correct, but I can't find the thread.

brittone2
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
I think you are correct, but I can't find the thread.
Yeah, I just googled and I can't figure it out. I saw one person commenting on woot that walmart's site wasn't asking for the security code, then other threads that made the walmart thing seem connected to some other stuff at amazon, etc. So I really have no idea...maybe it didn't originate with walmart's site.

I'm sorry that happened to you. So frustrating!

Kymberley
10-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I just googled and I can't figure it out. I saw one person commenting on woot that walmart's site wasn't asking for the security code, then other threads that made the walmart thing seem connected to some other stuff at amazon, etc. So I really have no idea...maybe it didn't originate with walmart's site.

I'm sorry that happened to you. So frustrating!

Thank you for trying to help, that's very kind of you! :) Hopefully it was a one time thing and no one else has to deal with it.

KrystalS
10-02-2012, 09:07 AM
It happened to me on Walmart.com, someone tried to order iTunes giftcards. The order actually went through but Walmart cancelled it from their end, I was never able to find out why. I'm not sure if the person was trying to change the email/shipping address on their order.
A few months after this happened I had several fraudulent charges on my bank account. I have not been able to figure out of they managed to get my card number from the Walmart site or if they somehow got it through my email. I was able to catch the bank charges before they actually posted to the account so my bank was able to cancel them.
I changed my password on everything and deleted the saved cards on all the sites I shop at. I don't know if Walmart was compromised or if someone actually got my password.

Kymberley
10-02-2012, 09:45 AM
It happened to me on Walmart.com, someone tried to order iTunes giftcards. The order actually went through but Walmart cancelled it from their end, I was never able to find out why. I'm not sure if the person was trying to change the email/shipping address on their order.
A few months after this happened I had several fraudulent charges on my bank account. I have not been able to figure out of they managed to get my card number from the Walmart site or if they somehow got it through my email. I was able to catch the bank charges before they actually posted to the account so my bank was able to cancel them.
I changed my password on everything and deleted the saved cards on all the sites I shop at. I don't know if Walmart was compromised or if someone actually got my password.

Ugh, so sorry that happened to you! I started to delete my debt card info from every site, but it's been canceled so I'm wondering if this is necessary? I only ever used the one card for online purchases, so hopefully I'm okay there.