PDA

View Full Version : Fabulous, my hy home is flooded....

mctlaw
10-02-2012, 09:40 AM
5 days ago we noticed a puddle of water in DS1's closet (finished basement). Cleaned it up in case DS spilled something & didn't fess up. It was back the next day so we reported it to the landlord. The water is coming in at the baseboards and their are no interior pipes that are clearly the source. Clearly a plumbing issue, though, RIGHT? "Handyman" sent out the next day by Landlord, putzed around, tightened up an exterior faucet on the opposite side of the house & said to monitor so he could avoid cutting into drywall unles necessary. Of course water continued to come in (Friday). Handyman could not come back til Sunday so we continued to clean up the water to the tune of about 2-3 gallons per day. Why not call a plumber? :banghead: Because they are cheap, I guess. Now, since yesterday the water is filling the bedroom, you can't mop it up, and here I sit, finally waiting for yes, a plumber. Landlord came over last night and shop-vacced it up but it's covered half of a large bedroom this AM. I had to move DS to the guest room last night.

Thankfully only one piece of furniture, a bookshelf, is exposed to the water as we had already cleaned out the closet and the rest of the furniture is on the other side of the room. I can't use the water, shower, cook, you name it until this is figured out now and may have to schlep us all to a hotel if this goes on beyond this afternoon. DH is out of town, of course.

This probably should be in the bitching post, but I do have a question. The shop vac (and its cord) the landlord left here is sitting in a large puddle of water. I'm afraid to electrocute myself so I haven't attempted to use it. Am I being silly?

vonfirmath
10-02-2012, 09:45 AM
WOW! Let us know what happened.

I'd pull the shop vac out, dry it out well and then use it. Yes this is the landlord's house, but if mold grows it is going to affect YOU as well.

brittone2
10-02-2012, 09:50 AM
I know you are an attorney and are probably on this already, but take pics and so forth just in case. Unfortunately, you never know if it might be necessary down the road, IME. Better to have it and not have to use it than not have the documentation if you end up with a mold issue or other problems that need to be addressed.

AngB
10-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Ugh, what a PITA. Sorry you have to deal with this.

I'd pull the shop vac out, dry it out well and then use it. Yes this is the landlord's house, but if mold grows it is going to affect YOU as well.
:yeahthat:

amldaley
10-02-2012, 10:12 AM
5 days ago we noticed a puddle of water in DS1's closet (finished basement). Cleaned it up in case DS spilled something & didn't fess up. It was back the next day so we reported it to the landlord. The water is coming in at the baseboards and their are no interior pipes that are clearly the source. Clearly a plumbing issue, though, RIGHT? "Handyman" sent out the next day by Landlord, putzed around, tightened up an exterior faucet on the opposite side of the house & said to monitor so he could avoid cutting into drywall unles necessary. Of course water continued to come in (Friday). Handyman could not come back til Sunday so we continued to clean up the water to the tune of about 2-3 gallons per day. Why not call a plumber? :banghead: Because they are cheap, I guess. Now, since yesterday the water is filling the bedroom, you can't mop it up, and here I sit, finally waiting for yes, a plumber. Landlord came over last night and shop-vacced it up but it's covered half of a large bedroom this AM. I had to move DS to the guest room last night.

Thankfully only one piece of furniture, a bookshelf, is exposed to the water as we had already cleaned out the closet and the rest of the furniture is on the other side of the room. I can't use the water, shower, cook, you name it until this is figured out now and may have to schlep us all to a hotel if this goes on beyond this afternoon. DH is out of town, of course.

This probably should be in the bitching post, but I do have a question. The shop vac (and its cord) the landlord left here is sitting in a large puddle of water. I'm afraid to electrocute myself so I haven't attempted to use it. Am I being silly?

First - ugh. What a mess!

As for electrocution...is it in standing water or just touching on it's wheels? If just damp, go and unplug. Wet vacs are made to be used in wet areas so the cord is sealed, etc (unless you see damage to the cord/exposed wired inside). If in standing water, I would leave it.

mctlaw
10-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks. Shop vac dried off and I'm using it now. I'm all over the pictures... one of the landlords is an atty too, lol, which is one reason I can't believe they're being so cheap. Plumber is here now and has already called for backup, says he needs to get a snake with a camera to see what is happening way down the pipe (he is digging around an outside pipe). Will post again later...

KDsMommy
10-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Good luck, KUP

mctlaw
10-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Water line in the ground cracked in numerous spots and this will be at least a 2 day fix. Schlepping the kids to a hotel after DS 1 gets out of school and boarding dog. Poor nanny will be bored out of her skull in a hotel room tomorrow and I have to make sure I carry everything I need for her to heat up milk for DS2. Ugh. DS1 will probably have a blast and want to swim in the pool though. LOL.