PDA

View Full Version : Liquid antibiotics on plane?

boilermakermom
10-02-2012, 08:16 PM
DD was prescribed amoxicillin this afternoon. We are leaving Thursday morning for a week.

This is the first time I have flown while she has been on antibiotics. How do I get them on the plane? Doesn't it need to stay cold? Will I have dump them out? Anyone done this before?

edurnemk
10-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Medication is exempt from the 3 oz rule. Do you have a small cooler? We have the Playtex Fridge-to-go and like it a lot for travel.

ETA: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/make-your-trip-better-using-3-1-1

candaceb
10-02-2012, 08:19 PM
The last time I flew, I noticed signs at the beginning of the security line that clearly said medication was excluded from the 3-1-1 rule.

LMPC
10-02-2012, 08:35 PM
You should have no problems getting meds on the plane.

ecofem
10-02-2012, 09:29 PM
i have flown with liquid antibiotics during the past year. I had a little soft sided lunch cooler and an ice pack to keep it cold. I just presented it at TSA, had the ice pack outside of the cooler and let the TSA folks look at it. It was fine both times (coming and going)... no problems what so ever. Just be upfront about it and it should not be a big deal.

boilermakermom
10-02-2012, 09:29 PM
thanks!!! i knew i would get an answer here!

next question - would you take it in a small cooler and ice packs? we refrigerate the amoxicillin at home. I called the pharmacist and she said it should be fine to go from the refrigerator to room temp for the day and back into the refrigerator at night (once we reach our destination).

Think that is ok?

Philly Mom
10-02-2012, 09:32 PM
With amoxicillin you only need to refrigerate for taste so it should be fine. It may not taste as good at room temp but should be fine once it is cold again.

Melbel
10-02-2012, 09:47 PM
We travelled with DS' liquid medication this summer. They did test it (Ph?). It was an easy process.