PDA

View Full Version : music class or lessons for DS (3.5yrs)?

lmh2402
10-02-2012, 10:29 PM
DS loves music and singing. he has memorized (and performs...this clearly comes from DH...not me) so many songs

he just loves everything about music. will hear a single beat or two of a song and immediately rattle off the song title and band/artist.

he breaks into song all day long

i think he would just love to do something more with music...but not like music together. we've done MT many times over and he liked the classes...but didn't love it.

i'm not really sure what i'm looking for. or what would be available or appropriate for someone so young. i just want him to have fun and be excited and enjoy himself.

any ideas?

ahisma
10-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Music Together, without a doubt.

We tried a few programs and this on was the best, hands down. Once DS outgrew the group class he moved to lessons. It is clear that his Music Together experience really helped him with his lessons.

Also, our lesson teacher is firm in her belief that while you *can* start really young, you don't gain anything long term from it...by 6 they are all at the same spot, more or less.

Music Together really gave them a core understanding of musicality, and brought them a lot of joy.

ETA - okay - somehow I missed that part of your post! Maybe another teacher? I think the instructor makes a big difference. Our was amazing. She's also the owner of the studio that DS now takes private lessons from , it was a perfect transition.

candaceb
10-02-2012, 10:55 PM
I just learned about the Dalcroze method for music instruction. It mixes movement and rhythm. If you live where I think you live, there are classes in your area. Google it.

lilycat88
10-02-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Harmony Road program. DD started at age 3.