PDA

View Full Version : am I over reacting? school issue

cckwmh
10-03-2012, 05:35 AM
My DD, who is in first grade, told us yesterday that she can never talk in school. I asked her why and she said the teacher told the class last friday (she finally told us this yesterday) that she was going to shine a flashlight in her eyes if she wasn't quiet. I think this is INSANE!! DD has been out of school for recurrent fevers all week, so the teacher did not do this, to her knowledge. I asked DD and she said teacher told the class if anyone is loud, that is what she will do.

I immediately want to call the principal. DH told me not to because she is not actually doing it, just threatening it. I told DD to tell me if she did do this to any child in the classroom or if she tells them she is going to again.

Am I overreacting??

roseyloxs
10-03-2012, 06:07 AM
Maybe a little.

I would try and talk with the teacher. I usually prefer email but I think I would want to have a face to face conversation about this. I would stay very calm and only talk about how you think the new discipline tool might affect your child's participation. That dd has told you that she can no longer say ANYTHING in class.

I would definitely be concerned and at home I would be furious but I think the teacher deserves a chance to defend her position to you before you go above her head.

JBaxter
10-03-2012, 06:40 AM
That story doesn't exactly make sense. I would find out if she misunderstood what was being told to here before rushing to the admins. office. A simple email to chat with the teacher should clear up the rules.

TwinFoxes
10-03-2012, 07:06 AM
That story doesn't exactly make sense. I would find out if she misunderstood what was being told to here before rushing to the admins. office. A simple email to chat with the teacher should clear up the rules.

:yeahthat: How old is your DD? Maybe the teacher has a little flashlight she shines from her desk at the kid who is talking? Kids get things confused.

egoldber
10-03-2012, 07:46 AM
:yeahthat:

That sounds like a garbled interpretation to me.

kristenk
10-03-2012, 07:50 AM
That sounds like a garbled interpretation to me.

:yeahthat: Go talk to the teacher to find out what was really said.

cckwmh
10-03-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks- I sent an email to the teacher, explained what DD said, stated I thought it was a miscommunication and just asked for clarification.

DD is not liking first grade much and i don't want anything that would make her more afraid to participate.