PDA

View Full Version : New recommendation? No antibiotics for ear infections

joonbug
10-03-2012, 09:40 AM
DD has been not well for the past almost 2 weeks. It started with constipation issues (I posted here), followed by a visit to the pediatrician, who doubled the dose of Miralax. What happened though, she started having diarrhea bouts, stomach aches most of the time. I was getting really concerned it might be some underlying stomach issue so I made an urgent appointment with a GI. At this point, her stomach hurt most of the time, wouldn't eat (no wonder but she's tiny and in feeding therapy so it's a major setback to not gain/lose weight), would have those explosive diarrhea bouts right after taking a few bites of something. So yesterday we went in. The previous night she had started complaining about her left ear, ran a high fever at night, still stomach pains. Needless to say, got sick all over the GI office (I think they should be used to that, having to deal with kids with gastro issues LOL). GI said all the problems are most likely caused by an ear infection (some virus, cold, stomach and ear, all related) and sent us back to the pediatrician. Here's my question.
I know the overuse of antibiotics causes antibiotic-immune bacteria. The pedi advised us to continue with Ibuprofen for fever and ear pain and plenty of rest and fluids. If it doesn't improve or get better, then we can fill in the antibiotic Rx. HOWEVER, she still ran fever at night 102-103, complains about her stomach, now TWO ears and just doesn't look good overall. Would you give her the antibiotic or wait more? She doesn't seem any better than yesterday.
Honestly, I don't think she's ever been that sick yet. Yes, minor colds OR stomach bugs OR an ear infection. But never all three at once! (Hello Preschool...). She got maybe 2-3 ear infections yet to date in her 3.5 years of life. So what would YOU do? (I want to fill in the Rx, I think I'm looking for more validation....)

kbud
10-03-2012, 09:50 AM
fill it! We always do antibiotics for ear infections. They are very, very painful and w/in 2 doses my kids are painfree. Why make them suffer through when they can feel better so soon.

mommylamb
10-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Buy yourself organic meat and fill the Rx. I think the overuse of antibiotics is more an issue in the meat industry than it is for us.

teresah00
10-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I wouldn't fill it. The fever is the body's response to the infection. Having had more than my fair share of war infections as an adult and child, I know they suck. I would treat the pain. I personally like using a hot water bottle in a pillowcase and lay tHat ear on top of it.
I have also seen a DO that specializes in osteopathic manipulation that did techniques to help drain things. A good chiropractor can do the same (I see one now).
In the meantime google galbreath (think that's the spelling) technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daisysmom
10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Absolutely fill it, IMO. And get some probiotics too and start using them.

Our DD had an ear infection when she just turned 4 that came right back (or never left) after the first round of antibiotics (we went to Disney in there, and the ped told us that a week long trip to Disney plus first airplane rides was the equivalent of her running a marathon and he was not surprised that the antibiotics didn't get rid of the EI). So she went on another EI for another 10 days, this time a stronger one. Still had the EI at the end of that - so he put her on ANOTHER antibiotic that was stronger still. By this time, she was having diarrea 3x a day from the darn strong antibiotic. We were giving probiotics but they just weren't having enough of an effect. So with the ped's blessing, we stopped that antibiotic to see if her body was going to fight off the EI on its own (it was better at this point, but still infected). He told me that if she ran any fever at all to bring her back in.

Her body ended up doing its thing and the infection was gone by the next check, 5 days or so later.

I have learned that sometimes, you don't need an antibiotic for an EI and your body can fight them off. But I wouldn't ever choose this route if I had the antibiotic option -- the only reason we did this was because her stomach was so violently messed up by all the medicines.

That's just my view though - I am the daughter of a doctor and I run for the antibiotics whenever I can!

AngB
10-03-2012, 10:14 AM
DS is nearly 18 months and has never been on antibiotics yet for anything. But in this case, I would fill it.

JElaineB
10-03-2012, 10:28 AM
I would give her the antibiotics. DS's earddrum burst once from an ear infection that wasn't treated properly (first health care provider we saw prescribed an inappropriate antibiotic/wrong dose). It wasn't fun for him. He improved quickly on the correct antibiotic/dose.

AnnieW625
10-03-2012, 10:32 AM
I am not a fan of antibiotics, but for ear infections they are a must esp. if combined with a fever.

Anytime as a preventive measure we use warmed Garlic Oil. The trick is though making sure your kids tell you when their ears hurt. My DD1 never did this.

poppy
10-03-2012, 10:37 AM
If mild or moderate, then Dr. Sears recommends 2 drops of garlic oil in the ear.
http://www.amazon.com/Mullein-Garlic-Compound-Drops-Ounces/dp/B001E8DBU8/ref=sr_1_6?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1349275008&sr=1-6&keywords=garlic+oil

It worked for my DS, who had a mild case.

But would use antibiotics for severe cases.

khalloc
10-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I would fill it. My kids have only had a few ear infections each, but I had many ear infections as a child - they hurt! Our pediatrician does not give antibiotics if the ear infection looks very mild and if the child is not complaining about ear pain, but she will give them if she thinks they need it. I would definitely fill the prescription if I were you. Why suffer?

Philly Mom
10-03-2012, 10:59 AM
My DD seems prone to ear infections. I treat with antibiotics and I am not a huge fan in general. When we have tried to wait it out, the fever won't go down and she is miserable. Within 24 hours of antibiotics, fever is gone and she is much happier. I understand the thought process of not using them and try to minimize my own use. FWIW, my bff had an untreated ear infection lead to loss of hearing in that ear. She was a teenager and was away from home at the time and the responsible adult just kept telling her it was a cold. I know children ear infections are different from teen ones, but as I have no way of monitoring whether DD's ears are getting better on their own, I use antibiotics.

marymoo86
10-03-2012, 11:35 AM
The problem is that ear infections can be viral (so antibiotics won't help) or bacterial. A look in the ear won't be able to discern which it is. If you are hesistant, then you can try garlic oil and see if that helps. Otherwise, I would give probiotics and fill the prescription if you think it isn't getting better.

mytwosons
10-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Our ped told us if the child can be made comfortable with tylenol and drops, to give the ear time to heal on its own. If the child is uncomfortable, fill the prescription.

aa2mama
10-03-2012, 12:38 PM
As a lifelong sufferer of ear infections I would FILL IT!!! If the ear infection is severe, oil drops can make it worse.

edurnemk
10-03-2012, 01:00 PM
It doesn't sound like she's getting better so I'd fill it.

joonbug
10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Thank you for the insight. I gave her the first dose earlier today.. Yes, she was not feeling better at all :(, still complaining about the ear pain 2 hours after motrin. Now I hope she'll feel better each day. She's going to miss the whole week of preschool. I'm afraid that will happen often now. That kid has no immunity! I started her on probiotics as well, but I just guess that happens once they start preschool right..

JElaineB
10-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Thank you for the insight. I gave her the first dose earlier today.. Yes, she was not feeling better at all :(, still complaining about the ear pain 2 hours after motrin. Now I hope she'll feel better each day. She's going to miss the whole week of preschool. I'm afraid that will happen often now. That kid has no immunity! I started her on probiotics as well, but I just guess that happens once they start preschool right..

It will probably take a while for it to kick in. Hope she feels better soon. Yes, she should have a good immunity by the time she hits kindergarten!

Tondi G
10-03-2012, 03:54 PM
glad you filled it and got her started. If she is complaining of ear pain then it's time to get those antibiotics! I never messed around with EI's in my boys. I had EI's as a child and my ped never suggested tubes until I went to an ENT in 3rd grade who found that my frequent reoccurring EI's had done some real damage. I have hearing loss in both ears and I have a small bone in my ear that disintegrated because of the EI's.

Hope she is feeling better in 24-48 hours! in the future the ped can call in some ear numbing drops to help with the pain if the motrin doesn't work. I always have them on hand in my cabinet in case one of my boys wakes in the middle of the night crying with ear pain .... they are like magic.... within minutes the pain is gone and they can get back to sleep.

edurnemk
10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm afraid that will happen often now. That kid has no immunity! I started her on probiotics as well, but I just guess that happens once they start preschool right..

Honestly, yeah, the first few months DS missed about 30% or more of preschool due to EI's, colds, etc. But then they grow more resilient and get sick less often

cckwmh
10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
The issue is that studies show that in mild to moderate inner ear infections there no difference in cure rates or length of infection if treated with antibiotics versus placebo. I am in favor of evidence based medicine, and the evidence doesn't support antibiotics in uncomplicated cases. alternating tylenol and ibuprophen actually provide better relief than antibiotics alone.

I know I am going against the group here, but I am not anti- antibiotics, in complicated cases I am very-pro antibiotic use. I am glad your daughter is feeling better. I just wanted to point out the reason why it isn't recommended to treat AOM with antibiotics.

TwinFoxes
10-03-2012, 10:20 PM
DDs have only had one ear infection (at the same time, of course) which were minor and we didn't get antibiotics, and I was fine with that. But from what you described, I think your decisions was the right one! I hope she's feeling better soon

daisymommy
10-04-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't use meds often for my kids, but with those kinds of symptoms and sickness, ABSOLUTELY I would use the antibiotics! And I wouldn't feel bad about it one bit.

llama8
10-04-2012, 03:22 PM
I hate to treat with antibiotics but ear infections are MUST! Not treating an ear infection leads to pain and bursting of the ear. My DD2 had frequent ear infection and tubes at 9 months, It would never go away without the antibiotic.

okinawama
10-04-2012, 03:55 PM
We have tried to wait them out in the past, but it always ends in 4-5hr screaming night wakings and 103 fevers. Now, I treat them almost immediately with antibiotics. I hope your LO is on the mend soon!