PDA

View Full Version : Tick

unlisted
10-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I found a tick on my son. I pulled it off and am pretty sure I got the whole thing. What should I do next? We are in VA. Take him to the doctor?
I can't stop itching. Gross.

mom2binsd
10-03-2012, 11:35 AM
If you search Lyme Disease on this forum you should come up with lots of info one of our members has a wealth of information as she's been dealing with this and knows the prootocol and what to ask at the doctors (her name is melbel on the boards).

TwoBees
10-03-2012, 01:06 PM
If you search Lyme Disease on this forum you should come up with lots of info one of our members has a wealth of information as she's been dealing with this and knows the prootocol and what to ask at the doctors (her name is melbel on the boards).

:yeahthat:
I'd take him to a doctor. Also keep an eye on him because even if the doctor finds nothing now, he could still have Lyme with symptoms that develop later. So yes, take him just to be safe.

squimp
10-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Keep the tick and call the ped. If it's little (deer tick), it could be a Lyme carrier, if it's large (dog tick), it could carry other diseases. It depends where you live as to how prevalent Lyme is - it's common on the eastern seaboard. Keep an eye out for the bullseye rash which is common with Lyme.

sophiesmom03
10-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Keep the tick and call the ped. If it's little (deer tick), it could be a Lyme carrier, if it's large (dog tick), it could carry other diseases. It depends where you live as to how prevalent Lyme is - it's common on the eastern seaboard. Keep an eye out for the bullseye rash which is common with Lyme.

I learned after tossing the tick that you can have the tick tested (at least where I am in CT - Lyme central). I'd call the ped and ask. Ours didn't want to see her unless 1-we had the tick tested or 2- the bite became inflamed, rashy, or she became ill within a week or 2 of the bite.

ezcc
10-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't think many drs bother testing ticks any more. I would google what a deer tick looks like (really, really tiny). If that's what it was, just watch for symptoms over the next few weeks- fever, rash, fatigue, achiness. We come across ticks pretty frequently and I don't go to the dr, I did have lyme a few years ago but recovered easily.

queenmama
10-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Are you really supposed to save every tick? DH & DS come home covered with them when they're hanging out at my MILs in the summer. Our state had only a handful confirmed cases of Lyme last year.

Yuck. This is another reason I hate this place. My home state (CA) had more than 10x the amount of confirmed cases, but in 21 years I NEVER had a tick from playing outside, even in the woods. I hate the idea of them all over my son, Lyme disease or not!

dogmom
10-03-2012, 01:45 PM
You would probably find this helpful:

For tick identification:http://www.tickencounter.org/tick_identification

This has information on how to tell how long a tick has been attached:
http://www.tickencounter.org/resources/tick_biteology