PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your pressure cooker

baymom
10-03-2012, 01:57 PM
DH just threw away our dying pressure cooker that was 13 years old because he was worried it was going to blow. :tongue5: I use it at least once a week and need to replace it as soon as possible. Our old one was a T-fal (wedding gift) and 10 quart. My mother complains about a leaking gasket on her Presto pressure cooker and I found an old BBB thread recommending Fagor. I'm also open to an electric pressure cooker this time around. I never thought I'd like an electric water kettle, but I actually love it, so maybe a pressure cooker would be the same....?

So, if you love (or hate!) your regular or electric pressure cooker...please share! Also, do those of you who experience steam leaking out cook a lot of starchy food in yours or is that un-related? I had that problem (hence DH throwing it out) and I wonder if it was because I used it mostly for lentils and all the bubbling... Or, if it really was just dying...

Myira
10-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I replaced my old jiggle-top pressure cooker 2 months ago with a 4 and 8 qt Fagor Duo. I use it everyday, it is fast and have had no trouble so far with starchy foods leaking out, like my jiggle-top had. I do cook a lot of lentils, beans, quinoa and rice.

I love that it is stainless steel and the pot is dishwasher safe, though I have only hand washed it so far. I did a lot of research and then settled on the Duo line of Fagor. I got mine at Kohls, with a 30% off coupon and with Kohls cash it was a good deal.

baymom
10-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks Myira! I will look into the Fagor Duo. Can I ask how much yours ended up costing at Kohls?

Myira
10-03-2012, 07:37 PM
It came to about $100, plus $20 in Kohls cash.

hellokitty
10-03-2012, 08:34 PM
I have a fagor too, and love it. I just wish I would have bought one size larger, now that I know that you really shouldn't fill them up more than halfway, Kwim? Bed bath and beyond has these, although they may be online, but maybe you can use a coupon? I tried an electric pressure cooker and was underwhelmed. After the second time using it, I couldn't get it to pressurize, so I returned it to amazon. Someone here at bbb has the cuisinary elec one and raves about it, if you are considering that option.

AtlantaMom
10-03-2012, 08:37 PM
I have this 6 quart Fagor and I love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-Splendid-6-Quart-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0000717AU

It is very simple but works great. I was given it as a gift, but if I were buying one myself I think I would get an 8 quart.

baymom
10-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks Ladies! I'll probably go with a Fagor. Now to compare prices...

OKKiddo
10-03-2012, 10:00 PM
I have the electric one from Walmart (don't remember the brand) but I LOVE it. It's quiet and fast and I can even use it as a slow cooker.

theriviera
10-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I have the Fagor multi cooker. I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349318661&sr=8-1&keywords=fagor+3+in+1+multicooker

nrp
10-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I have the Fagor multi cooker. I love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349318661&sr=8-1&keywords=fagor+3+in+1+multicooker

:yeahthat:

I had an 8-qt Fagor stovetop model and it exploded twice - maybe I just had a dud, but I wasn't chancing it again. I *love* the electric model. I use it several times a week.

theriviera
10-03-2012, 11:29 PM
:yeahthat:

I had an 8-qt Fagor stovetop model and it exploded twice - maybe I just had a dud, but I wasn't chancing it again. I *love* the electric model. I use it several times a week.

Do you mind sharing your favorite recipes? I have not used mine in a while and need some inspiration.

baymom
10-04-2012, 01:05 AM
NRP--Is it an electric Fagor? Does it seem to cook faster than a stove top? DH is leaning towards electric, so I'm curious! Thanks!