PDA

View Full Version : Update after recent breast cancer diagnosis

Binkandabee
10-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Wanted to update since my last post a few weeks about my breast cancer diagnosis.

I've gone through the process these past few weeks of educating myself, talking with Dr.'s, weighing my options, and have finally made some decisions.

My diagnosis is Multi-focal ductal carcinoma in situ (multiple areas of cancer in the milk ducts that hasn't spread outside the milk ducts). Because of this, I am not a candidate for a lumpectomy....mastectomy is my only option. I have many, many areas throughout my left breast. Because of my family history, extent of disease, and my age (35), I am going to also have a mastectomy on my right breast, although, at the moment there is nothing there indicating cancer. I feel the need to do this because I want to do everything I can to avoid ever going down this road again. My intuition tells me its only a matter of time before cancer appears in my right breast.

I am scheduled for surgery on the 24th. I have the bilateral mastectomy followed immediately by a reconstructive procedure known as DIEP, where they essentially take my belly fat and transplant it to my chest. I was floored when I even found out this was an option....as far as I knew the only reconstructive option was implants. So, I will use my own tissue for the reconstruction and will have a tummy tuck at the same time...not a bad outcome I'd say! This is a major, major surgery, and the recovery time is long and hard, but in the end, I hope to have the best outcome possible!

TwinFoxes
10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
You must be reeling. :grouphug: Your attitude is really inspiring. Sending you P&PT for an easy healing process, and a full recovery. Stay strong!

hillview
10-03-2012, 02:56 PM
HUGS -- sending you P&PT and thanks for updating us!

Philly Mom
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Good luck. Sounds like positive steps. Make sure that you have all the help you need during your recovery. Do not be afraid to ask for help and make sure you get the rest you need for a full recovery.

brittone2
10-03-2012, 02:58 PM
That is a lot to handle. I wish you strength and courage as you move toward your recovery :grouphug:

Fairy
10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Wishing you the absolutely very best with this outcome, I think I would make the same decision in your circumstances, and I'm sending you P&PT.

kaharris83
10-03-2012, 03:01 PM
:grouphug: Wishing you the best!!

Tondi G
10-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks for updating us. It is interesting to hear that they can do reconstruction with your own tissue as opposed to having to go the implant route. Sending you P&PT for a smooth surgery and healing process, and a full recovery. Good Luck!

larig
10-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks so much for the update. Know you have the army of BBBers behind you and wrapping you in healing, loving thoughts.

ZeeBaby
10-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Wishing you the best and a quick recovery. I will pray for you.

BabbyO
10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Truly wishing you the best and thank you for the update and education.

Know you have the army of BBBers behind you and wrapping you in healing, loving thoughts.

:yeahthat:

Larig - very well said! Add me to the list of those sending P&PT!

waitingforgrace
10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Wishing you all the best as you continue on your journey

mik8
10-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I had my bilateral mastectomy less than 2 years ago due to the exact findings as yours - multi-focal form DCIS. It was on my left breast but I personally opted to undergo for right mastectomy myself. I researched it extensively and in the end I knew this is what I wanted. I suppose you already had your stereotactic biopsy for confirmation from the mammogram. I am a bit of a rare specie as "I" opted not to have reconstructive surgery done. I wanted it that way. I am very petite and am like Kiera Knightly who has small boobs. My breast surgeon told me I can always change my mind later on although immediate reconstruction is the most optimal. DIEP procedure achieves the most natural look compared to silicon implant, not to mention the instant tummy tuck. They did the intra-op frozen section pathology report and my surgeon knew right away that mine was stage 0, i.e., it has not spread beyond axillary lymph nodes. I still had to endure the dreaded waiting time for the actual final pathology report post surgery thinking the many "what if?" I am 41 and mine was accidental finding because I went for my 40 year mammogram upon the recommendation of my OB. Multi focal DCIS is something that would not have been detected by just plain manual palpation. In fact, I just had my annual physical exam. with OB right before my mammogram and nothing was palpated. One good thing about immediate intervention with DCIS is that the prognosis is literally 100% so when I was diagnosed, I took comfort with that. Take one day at a time. That's how I stayed afloat. I know what you're going through. Hugs and kisses to you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

amldaley
10-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Sending you P & PT for a safe & successful surgery and speedy recovery.

wellyes
10-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the update - I am glad you have some answers and a plan. I am sure a tummy tuck was the last thing from your mind when you got the diagnosis! Good luck with the procedure, and with as easy a recovery as possible.

Globetrotter
10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
:grouphug: That is a lot to take in.

I would have made the same decision, I think.

o_mom
10-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I know it was mentioned in your other thread, but I would encourage you to talk to a genetic counselor about testing as even with a bilateral mastectomy, there are ovarian risks as well as the information it will give your family.

I wish an easy surgery and quick recovery!

ourbabygirl
10-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow, that *is* a lot to take in. Kudos to you for acting so quickly for your health and for your great attitude! :jammin:
Best wishes to you on your surgery and recovery! You'll be in our thoughts and prayers. :hug:

TxCat
10-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Best wishes on an easy surgery and a smooth and easy recovery. I think I would have made the exact same decision in your decision. Sending you lots of healing vibes and energy!

Binkandabee
10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I know it was mentioned in your other thread, but I would encourage you to talk to a genetic counselor about testing as even with a bilateral mastectomy, there are ovarian risks as well as the information it will give your family.

I wish an easy surgery and quick recovery!

I am definitely going to do the genetic testing. I want to get through this, then will get the testing done, because it may very well show that I also need to have my ovaries removed. I just can't deal with that right now. I want to get cured of what I know I have, then face what I could potentially have if that makes sense.

One of my Dr.s also said if it came back that I actually don't carry the known gene mutations (there are certain to be more than just the few we know of) that I might get grief from my insurance about having the prophylactic mastectomy on the right breast, which my mind is already made up that I definitely want to do that, known gene mutation or not. Without the genetic testing, it is clinically recommended that I also remove the right breast, just based on family history, age, and extent. The genetic testing could potentially change that, and I really do want to reduce my recurrence rate to the greatest extent that I can right now.

It's something I am going to do, probably within the next year, but not right now.

MamaSnoo
10-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Just wanted to give you a hug after reading your updates! It sounds like you are really organized and prepared for what you face. I wish you all the best. :grouphug:

liz
10-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Binkandabee, many hugs to you. I am wishing you all the best and will keep you in my prayers. Please update if you can :hug::hug:

wendibird22
10-03-2012, 03:46 PM
I am so glad that you updated us. Your courage and strength shines through your post. I am sending you many P&PT for the best possible outcome and swiftest of recoveries.

mik8-thank you also for sharing your journey. That is a very informative post.

o_mom
10-03-2012, 03:47 PM
I am definitely going to do the genetic testing. I want to get through this, then will get the testing done, because it may very well show that I also need to have my ovaries removed. I just can't deal with that right now. I want to get cured of what I know I have, then face what I could potentially have if that makes sense.

It does make sense and I understand. :hug:

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't overlooked. I have a friend who her doctor had no clue about what the testing would even show and how that might change things. There are many doctors out there that try to counsel patients on something they don't understand. :)

infomama
10-03-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm rooting for you. Stay strong and remember you are in our thoughts and prayers!

Binkandabee
10-03-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I had my bilateral mastectomy less than 2 years ago due to the exact findings as yours - multi-focal form DCIS. It was on my left breast but I personally opted to undergo for right mastectomy myself. I researched it extensively and in the end I knew this is what I wanted. I suppose you already had your stereotactic biopsy for confirmation from the mammogram. I am a bit of a rare specie as "I" opted not to have reconstructive surgery done. I wanted it that way. I am very petite and am like Kiera Knightly who has small boobs. My breast surgeon told me I can always change my mind later on although immediate reconstruction is the most optimal. DIEP procedure achieves the most natural look compared to silicon implant, not to mention the instant tummy tuck. They did the intra-op frozen section pathology report and my surgeon knew right away that mine was stage 0, i.e., it has not spread beyond axillary lymph nodes. I still had to endure the dreaded waiting time for the actual final pathology report post surgery thinking the many "what if?" I am 41 and mine was accidental finding because I went for my 40 year mammogram upon the recommendation of my OB. Multi focal DCIS is something that would not have been detected by just plain manual palpation. In fact, I just had my annual physical exam. with OB right before my mammogram and nothing was palpated. One good thing about immediate intervention with DCIS is that the prognosis is literally 100% so when I was diagnosed, I took comfort with that. Take one day at a time. That's how I stayed afloat. I know what you're going through. Hugs and kisses to you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for sharing this.

I went for my very first mammogram at 35, based on my Dr. recommendation also (family history). Thank goodness I did because had I waited until I was 40 (which is standard without family history), I very well may not have made it that far. My DCIS is extensive, although not believed to be invasive yet. I am still worried because like you said, they really don't know until they test lymph nodes during surgery and get the final pathology after surgery whether its actually invasive or not.

I knew from the moment that the radiologist wanted to send me for biopsy that I had DCIS...just intuition speaking to me. But, I also knew that I would be fine because the survival/cure rate is so amazingly high.

Binkandabee
10-03-2012, 03:57 PM
It does make sense and I understand. :hug:

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't overlooked. I have a friend who her doctor had no clue about what the testing would even show and how that might change things. There are many doctors out there that try to counsel patients on something they don't understand. :)

That is truly frightening.

cuca_
10-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Good luck with your surgery. I hope you have a quick recovery. You will be in my thoughts.

SnuggleBuggles
10-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Very best of luck to you for a smooth surgery, good recovery, and good pathology report!

firstbaby
10-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Thank you for the update. Many hugs, prayers and positive thoughts to you and your family over the next several weeks!

elliput
10-03-2012, 04:31 PM
:hug::hug::hug: This is a major event in your life, I wish you all the best as you navigate through it.

A good friend of mine had the DIEP reconstruction done and if you did not know she had surgery, you would never guess. Her breast are amazingly natural looking right down to the reconstructed nipples.

Kindra178
10-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Been thinking about you so thank you for the update. Good luck with everything.

nala
10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
I normally just lurk here, but registered today to add my support. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 30, and also opted for a bilateral mastectomy for prophylactic reasons. I also had to do 8 rounds of chemo and 2 years of Herceptin as my cancer was Her2 positive and a grade 3 (very aggressive) cancer. But, I am still here, 7 years later, to tell my story. But, the first days after diagnosis, and surgery are hard, very very hard. It is okay to not be okay sometimes. I hope you have a good support system around you. Someone who will let you cry and vent is crucial. Also, I suggest having a "send off party" for your breasts. Take a good look in the mirror, and even take some pictures....it sounds weird, I know, but many years later, you may want those pictures. Saying "goodbye" can help you mentally heal faster. As for physically healing, make sure you get moving asap. Your shoulders and chest will feel SO tight and make it really difiicult to regain your range of motion. The longer your wait to start moving, the tighter things will get.
I will keep you in my thoughts. I hope everything goes smoothly. :hug:

twowhat?
10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Hugs to you. A old neighbor went through this at about the same age (mid-30s) and it was a long, hard road in terms of recovering from the initial surgery and the following reconstructive surgeries. But she looks GREAT today. Hang in there!!

tmahanes
10-03-2012, 04:42 PM
:hug::hug::hug: This is a major event in your life, I wish you all the best as you navigate through it.

A good friend of mine had the DIEP reconstruction done and if you did not know she had surgery, you would never guess. Her breast are amazingly natural looking right down to the reconstructed nipples.

I just wanted to say good luck and agree with elliput...... I have seem several of our patients with that reconstruction and they look great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

crl
10-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Wishing you as smooth and speedy of a recovery as possible.

Catherine

arivecchi
10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Wishing this difficult process is as easy as humanly possible for you and that you are cancer free soon. :grouphug:

123LuckyMom
10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I've been praying for you, and I'll continue to do so. I know you'll come through the surgery with flying colors. Recovery may be a bitch, but you can do it!!!

Binkandabee
10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I normally just lurk here, but registered today to add my support. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 30, and also opted for a bilateral mastectomy for prophylactic reasons. I also had to do 8 rounds of chemo and 2 years of Herceptin as my cancer was Her2 positive and a grade 3 (very aggressive) cancer. But, I am still here, 7 years later, to tell my story. But, the first days after diagnosis, and surgery are hard, very very hard. It is okay to not be okay sometimes. I hope you have a good support system around you. Someone who will let you cry and vent is crucial. Also, I suggest having a "send off party" for your breasts. Take a good look in the mirror, and even take some pictures....it sounds weird, I know, but many years later, you may want those pictures. Saying "goodbye" can help you mentally heal faster. As for physically healing, make sure you get moving asap. Your shoulders and chest will feel SO tight and make it really difiicult to regain your range of motion. The longer your wait to start moving, the tighter things will get.
I will keep you in my thoughts. I hope everything goes smoothly. :hug:

Thank you for sharing this. It truly helps to hear from people who have already gone through this journey.

It has been very hard. I found out on a Thursday and somehow found a way to make it through Friday at work with most of my composure. I fell apart Friday night, and just tried to mentally come to grips that whole first weekend. Cried a lot, a whole lot, that weekend. Since then, it's much better, but I do still get hit with emotions at what seem like random times.

I have been kicking around the idea of doing a boudoir photo session. I might just have to move that up on the to do list, as it could be a good way to say goodbye to the girls.

theriviera
10-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Sending you lots of hugs and PTs that this goes as smoothly for you as possible. :grouphug:

sntm
10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Lots of support.

I have never ha a patient's insurance refuse to pay for contralateral mastectomy, even if BRCA negative, particularly if young. So get tested whenever. Recs for removing ovaries of positive are usually 40 or when done with childbearing

The DIEP looks fabulous. Weirdly we only have one or two surgeons in town that do it so I've only had a single patient get it but je looked wonderful.

Best of luck to you and hoping path stays DCIS

Melbel
10-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Sending prayers and positive thoughts for a speedy recovery.

MMMommy
10-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Big hugs and lots of P&PT for you. :hug:

Binkandabee
10-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Lots of support.

I have never ha a patient's insurance refuse to pay for contralateral mastectomy, even if BRCA negative, particularly if young. So get tested whenever. Recs for removing ovaries of positive are usually 40 or when done with childbearing

The DIEP looks fabulous. Weirdly we only have one or two surgeons in town that do it so I've only had a single patient get it but je looked wonderful.

Best of luck to you and hoping path stays DCIS

I am travelling to New Orleans to have my surgeries because there is not a single local surgeon who does DIEP. A local plastic surgeon told me about the procedure, qualified it with the fact that he didn't perform it, but said if it was something I was interested in there is a center in New Orleans that specializes in it. I really appreciate his referral, because I'm very confident in the place I have found. Their results are nothing short of stunning.

3isEnough
10-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Sending hugs, P&PT and huge amounts of support your way. I hope it all goes very smoothly for you :grouphug:

hellokitty
10-03-2012, 05:35 PM
:hug: I'm sorry you are going through this. Wishing you the best regarding your surgery and recovery.

California
10-03-2012, 06:20 PM
A boudior session sounds like a wonderful idea- Something to honor the body you have now. There's something very special and soothing about having a photographer and makeup artist fuss over you for a boudoir session. Maybe you could do a session now and make a promise to yourself that you'll be back for a session to celebrate your 40th birthday!

A relative went through the same surgery, and based on her experience she was very surprised at how little motion she had with her arms right after the surgery and how uncomfortable it was to sit up all the way (she preferred a gentle recline.) Another relative made a ton of freezable meals for her. If you can stock your freezer before hand (or have friends who will bring by meals) it'll help take care of your DH, too. Clothes were a challenge at first because of the limited range of motion. Maybe those on here who've had the surgery can offer tips as to what feels comfortable to wear during recovery. Bed Bath and Beyond used to sell bed wedges that put her at an angle she liked, not sure if they still have them. Snd she had a special three pillow pile for her couch. Gentle physical therapy and eventually specialized yoga for cancer surviviors helped her regain her full range of motion. She also paid very close attention to her diet and felt that drinking veggie and fruit smoothies helped her skin heal.

It is funny how going through the surgery may make you willing to flash the "new girls" to show off how fabulous you look. This happened quite regularly at our GTGs. Her husband was... very happy with the results, too!

ecofem
10-03-2012, 07:06 PM
For reasons not immediately pertinent or helpful to this thread, I have been researching breast surgeons and this particular surgery. I am considering it.

A very dear friend's mother had the DIEP surgery at the New Orleans clinic and had great results. The New Orleans docs are leaders in their field... ladies fly in from all over the US and abroad to have the New Orleans docs work their magic. You are in very good hands. Best of luck to you!

lizzywednesday
10-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Good luck with the surgery & recovery!

I've been involved on-and-off with the breast cancer awareness & activist community since 2004 after a friend of my dad's received her 2nd breast cancer diagnosis, which resulted in a bilateral mastectomy & TRAM-flap reconstruction. (I sat with my dad & his friend's brothers in the waiting room during that surgery - it was crazy-long, but the surgeon and her team were great about communicating with us.)

lovin2shop
10-03-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this! Wanted to let you know that my mom had the same reconstructive procedure after her mastectomy at age 44. That was well over 20 years ago, so rest assured that this is a time tested procedure. She also had DCIS along with another large aggressive tumor. She is doing wonderful, and did I mention cancer free for over 20 years! She does have weight lifting restrictions due to the movement of her abdominal muscles, but this has been a very minor side effect in the whole scheme of things. This restriction may not even be the case anymore, but it is something to ask about if it hasn't been mentioned yet.

Thank goodness you did the early mammo! I'm on a first name basis with our local imaging center, and it definitely gives me comfort that if they do find something, it will be early. Lot's of prayers coming your way, and please reach out for as much support as you can, (in real life and here)!

Eta: I just looked up the Diep procedure compared to the Tram flap (which I think is actually what my Mom had), and even better there is no muscle loss. You probably already knew this, but I was just excited to see the difference and improvement over time!

Momit
10-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Sending many, many positive thoughts your way for your treatment and recovery. You sound like one strong woman.

JenaW
10-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts for you. I also have a friend who had the reconstruction done with an abdominal flap over 15 yrs ago. She is also cancer free today. Lots of good wishes for a quick-as-possible recovery.

sophiesmom03
10-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Wishing you a quick recovery and long years of health to come!

lmh2402
10-03-2012, 07:40 PM
i'm so sorry you're dealing with this, but your attitude seems really positive.

sending lots of prayers and mojo and all the good stuff that can possibly be sent

please continue to keep us posted

:hug: :hug:

pinkmomagain
10-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Thinking of you through this crazy time. I know someone who has just come through a double mastectomy with reconstruction extremely well and hope the same for you.

Mommy_Mea
10-03-2012, 08:48 PM
My thoughts are with you and your family, and hope for a quick recovery!!:grouphug:

maestramommy
10-03-2012, 09:07 PM
:thumbsup: I'll be saying prayers for your upcoming surgery! :hug::hug:

malphy
10-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I am sorry you have to go through this. You will be in my prayers!

echoesofspring
10-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Lots of P&PT for you, you sound so strong and collected. Wishing you a speedy recovery and that you can beat it!

hopeful_mama
10-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Lots of PTs and best wishes for you, I hope everything is successful and your recovery is as easy as possible.

wendmatt
10-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Lots of PT&P for a speedy full recovery.

goldenpig
10-03-2012, 10:56 PM
:hug: Huge hugs. You have such a positive attitude, I really admire you. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery! Goodbye, cancer! :waving4:

sweetsue98
10-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Best of luck on your surgery! We will be thinking of you.

WatchingThemGrow
10-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Many prayers for you binkandbee, as you go through these next steps. How awesome that mamas who have BTDT are just a pm away! :grouphug:

TwoBees
10-04-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm so sorry. Sending lots of P&PT. You're a very strong woman. :grouphug:

urbanmommy
10-04-2012, 09:04 AM
So sorry you're going through this and I hope you have a speedy recovery. I'll be getting a mammogram as soon as I can after nursing because of your posts. Thanks for sharing what you're going through as you're helping to educate those who have a family history but might have still waited until after 40 to get a mammogram.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

KDsMommy
10-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Many many P&PTs coming your way. A good friend of mine went through this 3 years ago and she's doing wonderfully.

AngelaS
10-04-2012, 09:58 AM
praying for you

citymama
10-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Sending P&PT and BBB mojo your way for a very successful surgery and treatment, rapid healing and a complete return to good health. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your update - I've been thinking about you since your diagnosis.

jayali
10-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Prayers and positive wishes coming your way!

smiles33
10-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I missed the first thread (just found it) and wanted to just wish you strength and a speedy recovery. Your strength is inspiring in the face of this unexpected diagnosis and major surgery. Thank you for sharing your story and for being so resilient. It makes me less scared about my impending mammogram. My maternal grandmother had breast cancer and I've just been asked by my doctor to have my first one at age 36 because of my family history (and the increase in breast cancer in Asian American women). If I am in your same shoes in the future, I hope I can be as strong, gracious, and resilient. Go, mama, go! You will kick cancer's ass and come out stronger and more beautiful than ever!

SkyrMommy
10-04-2012, 08:17 PM
:grouphug: Thinking of you and many P&PTs for a successful surgery and recovery. You are a strong mama!!!

oneontheway
10-05-2012, 08:05 AM
You are an inspiration. Many prayers and thoughts for a fast and successful treatment!

missym
10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Sending lots of P&PT for a successful surgery and recovery. We'll all be thinking of you and sending out the BBB mojo! :grouphug:

trales
10-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Thinking of you.

Twoboos
10-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Sending P&PT for your surgery and a speedy recovery!

This also reminds me I need to schedule my mammogram. I've been getting them since I was 30 and I'm still petrified each time.

Melarina
10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
prayers for health and strength!

mctlaw
10-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Sending P & PT for you. You sound like a very strong woman.