PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Generic version of antidepressant Wellbrutin pulled off the market

Melbel
10-03-2012, 05:23 PM
http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/03/14204716-generic-version-of-antidepressant-pulled-off-the-market?lite%3Focid=twitter

This is not a med that I know much about other than reading about it here in the anxiety threads.

candaceb
10-03-2012, 07:45 PM
That's really interesting. I insist on brand name wellbutrin because the generic made me drool in my sleep. Glad I protected myself from worse side effects unknowingly!

Mommy_Mea
10-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Very interesting. I was on the generic Wellbutrin after having DS1, and the insomnia was awful (combined with the anxiety and a baby who didn't sleep).

BabyDahl
10-03-2012, 10:11 PM
This is one specific generic of the XL formulation only. There have been many reports of problems with Teva's generic since it first became available, so I'm not surprised. The problem seems to stem from difficulties with the extended release mechanism, Teva's just wasn't equivalent to Glaxo's and thus people had difficulty when switching between different generics or between brand and generic.

Katigre
10-03-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm not surprised. When DH switched to the generic from name brand wellbutrin four years ago it was like he was taking no med at all - we've paid a lot of money out of pocket over the years to do name brand since generic doesn't work well for him.

Aishe
10-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm not surprised. When DH switched to the generic from name brand wellbutrin four years ago it was like he was taking no med at all - we've paid a lot of money out of pocket over the years to do name brand since generic doesn't work well for him.

Exact same scenario for me. I'm wondering now if my insurance will pay more for the brand name if the generic is pulled off the market.

OP, thanks for posting this.

BabyDahl
10-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm wondering now if my insurance will pay more for the brand name if the generic is pulled off the market.

Maybe, but not necessarily. There is another generic available, I think made by Par. You can have your physician write the brand name prescription as "do not substitute" and that might lower your copay cost.