PDA

View Full Version : WWYD--kids walking down the middle of school throughfaire?

lalasmama
10-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Encountered this on the way to DD's school this morning, and would love to know if/what you ladies (and men!) would have done... or if I overstepped my boundaries, LOL!

We're a small town. DD's 1st-5th grade elementary school has 1 road in and out. There are two "shifts" when kids get dropped off--generally 7:30 and 8:00am, based on breakfast or no breakfast. DD gets breakfast, so I drop her off at 7:30ish. So, we were driving down the only street to the school, and up ahead are 2 kids standing in the middle of the road. I thought maybe they dropped something. As we got closer, I saw that they were playing a 3rd or 4th grader version of "chicken"--basically running back and forth across the street, seeing who would go over to the side first when a car came near. I slowed down to 15mph, then 10mph when I saw they had no intention of getting out of my way.

And here's where I want to know if I crossed a line, LOL. When I got up to them, I rolled down my window, saw that it was two kids around 3rd grade age, and said in my best serious-trouble mom voice, "So not safe! What if I wasn't paying attention? You two almost got ran over just now!" They both looked at me with a dumb-founded look. When I started driving again, they were walking on the side of the road for as long as I could see them....

So, did I overstep a line? I'll admit, I had visions of a "stranger danger" warning going out about the mean lady who "yells" (ie, talks in a serious-trouble voice) to children she doesn't know!

What would you have done?

Cam&Clay
10-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I would've done the same. I think the school needs to know that kids are playing in the road. It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

GvilleGirl
10-03-2012, 11:44 PM
I don't think so. I would have let the school know as well.

wellyes
10-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I think "stop being idiots" is an ok message to other people's kids when safety is involved.

crl
10-04-2012, 12:22 AM
I would have done the same and I think it is a good idea to let the school know as well.

Catherine

snowbunnies300
10-04-2012, 09:05 AM
This has become a real problem in many communities. Kids - even teenagers are "playing" this game. I don't think they really understand what can happen to them. I would contact the school and request that they have an instructional period (whether it be in the classroom or an assembly) to talk about the dangers of running into roadways.

ahisma
10-04-2012, 09:14 AM
I think you did the right thing. If my kids were doing that I would definitely be supportive of anyone who yelled at them for it.

I've told me DD that there are hundreds of moms watching her every day, especially around the school. She fully assumes that anything she does will get back to me, and it often does.

infomama
10-04-2012, 09:16 AM
You did the right thing. Done give it another thought unless you want to bring it to the schools attention.

jjordan
10-04-2012, 09:25 AM
You absolutely did the right thing. I would definitely talk to someone at the school if it happens again.

KDsMommy
10-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I completely agree with what you did in response to this. I also think it would be a good idea to let the school know.

ErinMC
10-04-2012, 10:25 AM
I think your response was perfect. I also think you should call the school and let them know what happened, so that they can keep an eye out for it in the future.

doberbrat
10-04-2012, 10:56 AM
In order to get that 'stranger danger' warning out they'd have to tell their parents or teacher. What are they going to say? I was standing in the street playing Chicken with cars when a mom yelled at me and said it wasnt safe?

I'd hope any decent parent would turn around and say good for that mom! What were you thinking??

Good for you!

amldaley
10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Echoing the chorus - you did not overstep bounds at all! I think I would have been inclined to be more harsh about it!

I also agree with others that it should be reported to the school.

LMPC
10-04-2012, 12:02 PM
I would have done the same thing! And I hope that if my DD is stupid enough to do that one day, that someone tells her to knock it off!!

edurnemk
10-04-2012, 12:21 PM
I would have done the same thing! And I hope that if my DD is stupid enough to do that one day, that someone tells her to knock it off!!

:yeahthat: