PDA

View Full Version : The Mom Stays in the Picture

BabbyO
10-04-2012, 08:51 AM
DH sent this to me last night. I think if you are human it will choke you up a little...but it's got a great message for all us mamas (& daddys) who think we're less than perfect looking these days...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allison-tate/mom-pictures-with-kids_b_1926073.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

KDsMommy
10-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this, I know it's given me a new perspective. I vow to "get in the picture" with DS much more often.

infomama
10-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Good stuff. I look back on newborn mama pictures taken of me and I just smile. That's a chapter in my life and i embrace that chapter. i looked just like I should in those pictures....a new mom.

Nicsmom
10-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Thank you very much for sharing. I always worry about not being in the picture with my kids, I'm always on the other side of the camera. This is a very moving article.

BigDog
10-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Thank you for sharing this. It brought tears to my eyes. I always tell my DH how we need to make an effort to be in pictures with the kids. This was a great reminder.

Seitvonzu
10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
tears! that was a great article :) it also put words to a lot of the little things mom do that go unappreciated. cool!

BabbyO
10-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I thought it was great. We actually need to focus on getting DH in the picture more often since he's the shutterbug...also on getting more photos of the whole family.

I really thought the author got it right when she was describing pictures her mother was in...I feel the same way when I see pictures of my mom...so young and clearly tired, but youthful, fun, loving...that is how my always is in my mind...and my dad, too. I was floored to realize my dad is 70 because I still see the guy who ice skated with me and carried me on his shoulders...

dhano923
10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Thank you!

stinkyfeet
10-04-2012, 01:14 PM
That was really sweet...and so true. :)

pomegranate
10-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Thank you for sharing this article! It really hit home.

citymama
10-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Love it - thanks!

ast96
10-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I wrote it. :)

And I have to tell you, I kept checking here to see if anyone posted it here, because I knew if it caught your attention, I really had made it. Thanks, BBB mommies!

smiles33
10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
WOW, seriously? HOW COOL!!!! There's another thread I already posted in because right when I saw it flashing up on FB, I thought of the BBB threads here that inspired me to stop running out of the frame whenever DH was about to take a photo.

The column was poignant and beautifully written, Allison. Loved the photobooth photos, too!

Myira
10-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Loved it and rings so true!

swissair81
10-04-2012, 06:25 PM
This speaks to me. My grandmother loved videoing everyone and everything and my father hated being a subject. We have one video of him and it's of him putting his hand in front of his face and running away from the camera. It's the only record we have of his voice anywhere. He wasn't fond of pictures either. He died when I was 6 and I treasure all the pictures of him- even the goofy ones. I should really start practicing what I preach...

sunshine873
10-04-2012, 06:52 PM
This one definitely hit home for me. Thanks for sharing!

queenmama
10-04-2012, 07:13 PM

And I have to tell you, I kept checking here to see if anyone posted it here, because I knew if it caught your attention, I really had made it. Thanks, BBB mommies!

Awesome! Way to go, mama!

I already posted my response in another thread about the article, but yeah, I agree that these times are precious and I want to be able to look back and say, "I was there."

Globetrotter
10-04-2012, 07:18 PM
:love5:
I can totally relate to what you wrote! Well done!

LD92599
10-12-2012, 08:37 PM
I am bringing this back to the top since i just saw the new post and hadn't read the article! Excellent article allison!

gamma
10-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Loved reading it and loved your segment on Katie!

Sweetum
10-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Love it, Allison. Thank you...proud to be in your company!

babybunny
10-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Great article. I can totally relate on all levels. I was coincidently talking about family portraits tonight and how I need to have another, or at least take a photo with DS. We have a whole book of Daddy and me (i.e. Daddy and DS) ...the first five years ...Shutterfly book...and yes, not one photo of Mommy can be found.

Now I have the motivation to take care of this. Maybe I will even try to get into the Holiday card photos this year. That would be pushing it. LOL.

g-mama
10-12-2012, 09:50 PM

:yeahthat:

So cool, Allison! Such insipirational words that ring true for all of us moms and it's so awesome that it's reaching so many people!

Momit
10-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Wow! How cool that it was written by a BBBer. It hit home for me too. My MIL was always running from the camera and since she passed away 10 years ago my DH is sad to have so few pictures of her. It's certainly not easy to fight my own tendency to delete all the pics where I'm not looking my best.

sweetsue98
10-12-2012, 10:37 PM
It's funny how we see ourselves so differently than how our children see us! Thank you for the reminder!

theriviera
10-13-2012, 01:09 AM

Same here!

This made the rounds on my Facebook feed and I love it.

solsister
10-13-2012, 02:39 AM
Your words brought tears to my eyes.
Tears, as I nod my head in understanding and agreement. I am a photographer, and am behind the camera, most of the time. I do have many treasured photos (thanks to my husband's insistence) of me with my daughter, and I am so thankful for them.

My daughter is my biggest fan, and loves me more than anyone else in this world. Of that, I am sure. I treasure the moments when I walk down from my bedroom, feeling nowhere near as cute as I want to feel, and there is my daughter, gasping, "Wow, Mommy, you look beautiful!". It always surprises me, then I realize, she sees me with love. I wish that we could all see ourselves through our children's eyes...

Gracemom
10-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Loved it Allison! Thank you so much for sharing yourself with us. I saw you on Katie and you are beautiful!!! I loved the way they did your makeup. :) The picture of your grandma in curlers was my favorite! That's how your kids will remember her - in a fun, loving way. I have similar memories of my grandma. Unfortunately, my mom hated being in pictures because she was self-conscious of her teeth. She is not smiling in the few pictures I have of her and it makes me sad. I don't mind being in pictures, but I detest being in video. Thanks for the reminder that some day our kids will want to see how we hugged them, how we interacted, how my voice sounded. I treasure the few videos I have of my Dad since he passed away. And I can show my kids (who barely remember him) what he was like. Your kids are precious too!

MichelleRC
10-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Great article Allison! I just saw you on the Today Show and you are beautiful :)
My kids and I went to a water park yesterday and I made sure to get in at least one picture. Thanks for the reminder!