PDA

View Full Version : Cooking scrambled eggs in stainless steel pan - are they always going to stick?

sewarsh
10-04-2012, 08:59 AM
I got a brand new set of stainless steel pots and pans (Tramontina from Walmart - LOVE them!)

Anyways, I'm new to cooking in stainless steel but am doing pretty well except for scrambled eggs.

Is there a way to cook scrambled eggs in the pan without them sticking? I have the heat on 4/10. If I lower it they seem to take forever and I just don't have that much time to wait around trying to get kids out the door to school.

I've used spray, coconut oil, olive oil too but still some sticking.

Not the biggest deal, just curious and looking for tips.

THanks!

egoldber
10-04-2012, 09:09 AM
I use Pam, but you really do have to use low heat and be patient. I set the pan to preheat and then do other things like pack lunches.

ETA: My eggs never stick.

ahisma
10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Cast iron was always our go-to pan for eggs.

fedoragirl
10-04-2012, 09:20 AM
I use a wooden spoon and keep scraping while the pan is hot. I immerse it immediately after use in hot water. It still sticks but is easier to get off.

lhafer
10-04-2012, 09:32 AM
I use a well seasoned cast iron skillet when I make scrambled eggs. But when I do use my stainless steel pan, I use some butter in the pan first. It does stick regardless of what I do.

Contrary to normal logic - wash the pan in cold water afterwards! It really helps get the egg off fast.

marie
10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
I heat it on high until it is rippin' hot. Pour in canola oil to cover the bottom of the pan (swirl around). Add eggs. Let the bottom set a bit before scrambling. This results in larger curds, which is my preference, and rarely sticks.

Heating the pan causes metal to expand and close up the microscopic divots in the surface creating a solid surface to cook on. (Someone here linked to an article about this once. . .)

Pear
10-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I add a bit of butter.
I was also converted to slow cooked scrambled by an article I read a few years back. They take longer, but you get absolutely silky scrambled eggs. I only make them when we have plenty of time though.

rin
10-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I do butter; melt it and let it bubble for a few minutes before you put the eggs in, then make sure the scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon after a few minutes. My eggs sometimes stick a little, but if I put water in the pan afterwards the stuck bits just float right off.

I have not had good luck using coconut oil; seems like things stick *horribly* whenever I do. Better luck with canola/olive oil, but butter seems to be the best for non-sticky eggs.

mytwosons
10-04-2012, 11:32 AM
I just made them this morning and nothing stuck.

I heat on about 5. I turn it on for about 30 seconds and then add olive oil. Don't skimp - make sure there is enough to cover the entire bottom. Let it heat until the oil shimmers, run the oil around the pan one last time and then add the eggs and begin to stir around. I don't stir much, then flip and let them finish cooking.

edurnemk
10-04-2012, 12:24 PM
I preheat the pan on mid-high heat for a two minutes, then turn the heat down, add oil (generously, cover the whole bottom), let it heat up about 20-30 seconds and then add the eggs. I also use a wooden spoon to scrape whatever sticks to the bottom.