PDA

View Full Version : Halloween and Thanksgiving ideas for Room Parents?

Mamma2004
10-04-2012, 10:36 AM
DS is in 3rd grade and while I don't yet have any details, I am sure I (room parent) will be invited to do a project with the kids for all upcoming holidays.
I am looking for great crafts! Halloween is approaching and I want to find something fun.
For Thanksgiving, I have more time but welcome your ideas.

TIA!

Asianmommy
10-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Patterned pumpkins (http://www.countryliving.com/crafts/projects/pumpkin-decorating-1009#slide-4) or Frankenstein Luminaries (http://crafts.kaboose.com/frankenstein-luminaries.html)?

sariana
10-04-2012, 04:08 PM
I would avoid Hallowe'en themes and stick to the harvest or something similar. Apples, squash, and corn all make good themes.

What kind of a budget do you have (or what supplies)?

Mamma2004
10-04-2012, 04:13 PM
I still need to ask parents for money for the year, so at this point I could ask for either $x.xx per craft or - depending on the scope of this first one - I could also ask that they send in certain materials (a pumpkin/apple/squash, a sock, a jar, etc.).

I like the Frankenstein luminaries, though since the party is just a few days before Halloween, maybe a harvest/fall theme would endure much longer.

I'm open to ideas!

SnuggleBuggles
10-04-2012, 05:22 PM
This is what I came up with at my school one year:
Halloween:
12 arrival, play with Play-Doh;
12:20-12 get started on Paper Bag Gargoyles and/ or Acorn necklaces;
1:00: games

Games (Help will be needed to supervise and determine winners.)

1. Sort seeds from pumpkin guts. Seeds into one bowl, guts into another. Each seed collected is worth 1 point and any guts dropped on the floor or any other mess is -2 seeds.

2. Mummy relay race. 4 teams, each team gets 3 rolls of toilet paper and has to wrap 1 of their players up head to toe (not over mouth, nose or eyes). When they have successfully wrapped their mummy the mummy has to run across the finish line.
Prizes- mini pumpkins (I purchased enough for all kids).

Crafts (Help is needed to tie yarn onto acorn necklaces and any other needs.)
1. Acorn necklaces.
2. Paper bag gargoyles.

SUPPLIES NEEDED
Paper Bag Gargoyle Supplies
paper bags
glue sticks
markers
glitter glue
yarn
magazines
scissors
bags of sand*
tea lights*
*give these out at the end so the kids can take the gargoyles home and make luminary out of them

Acorn Necklace Supplies
acorns
yarn
tacky glue
decorations
glitter glue

Pumpkin Guts' Game Supplies
4 bags of guts
4 bowls for seeds
4 bowls for guts

Mummy Race Game
toilet paper
a finish line

Other
M&Ms for guessing game if needed to fill time (how many in the jar)
Halloween or class story

Favors
Mini pumpkins- all kids will get them at the end (game winners can get them after the winning contest)
Finished crafts

Snack:
draw jack o'lantern faces on clementines
mini pumpkin muffins (mini is better than full size, ime)
apple cider

Thanksgiving:
Activities
Ask the kids what they are thankful for and record their answers. Compile all the answers and leave off the kids' names. Send it home for the families to enjoy as there are almost always some silly answers on there.
Have everyone bring in a vegetable to share in soup. Chop up the veggies and put in a Crockpot with broth. Serve the soup at the end of the day. Read Stone Soup.
Make butter in baby food jars by shaking.
Make a tree by tracing kid's arm and hand on paper. Use fingers dipped in paint to make the tree's leaves.
Make turkeys out of pine cones.
Make pine cone bird feeders so the birds can have a treat too!
Make place cards for Thanksgiving dinner. Family Fun has some great ideas! One includes making turkeys out of fingerprints.
Find some activity sheets (mazes, puzzles, word hunts) and distribute them for when the kids finish eating or get done with a craft. There are lots of free printables online.

Pinterest is a fantastic resource, btw, for class parties! I created a board for our room parents and we all pin good craft, snack and game ideas we find.

pakin
10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Faux stained glass candy corn!
http://craftsbyamanda.com/2011/09/faux-stained-glass-candy-corn.html

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

Jen841
10-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Someone asked for ideas the other day, let's see if I can remember what I wrote...

For Thanksgaving hands down I LOVE doing Charlie Brown Thanksgiving DVD viewing, then serve the meal to the kids (toast, popcorn, pretzels and jelly beans). The kids LOVE it!

For Halloween crafts check Familyfun.com. Their toilet paper pumpkins are a hit. I have made these for years with classrooms. I love pulling them out year after year.

I saw today making spider webs with paperplates, we are going to try it at home. I think I saw it here http://spoonful.com/create/fall-harvest-crafts-gallery?cmp=NLC-NL|spoon|SpoonfulCrafts|Hero|FallHarvestCrafts||10 0412|||famM|&#carousel-id=photo-carousel&carousel-item=2

Candycorn BINGO is a classic fun one!

3rd Grade - you can do themed Mad Libs

Bookmarks were a BIG hit last year in 3rd grade. It was am impromptu halloween center and the kids asked to do them at the future events. Who would have guessed?

Maybe have them write a story with the names of candy it it? "Skittles the dog and Snickers the horse went to the Milkyway on Payday with Mindy & Mike (the M&M team)..."

Mamma2004
10-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Ladies! Please keep your ideas coming.
Part of the issue is that we are not allowed to involve FOOD! There are issues with severe allergies so even as a craft item, it is just not permitted.

Beth, I'll have to check Pinterest (I avoid it because, you know, it consumes all my time...much like the BBB used to!).

I love the idea of themed Mad Libs. Do they sell Halloween ones? Thanksgiving? Hmmm.

I am always eager to have kids write (great idea!), and bookmarks are my preferred "favor". Lots of great ideas so far - thank you, all!

sariana
10-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Sorry for not returning to this thread sooner. I thought of something that would work for any holiday, really, but is best for this time of year. It's super simple, maybe a bit messy, but does not require the use of any food.

Napkin Holders

Have each child bring in two toilet paper rolls (or half the number of finished napkin holders they want--each tube will make 2). Cut each tube in half to make a ring about 2 inches long. Have themed beads, paper scraps, ribbons, or whatever else you can think of/get your hands on, and some type of glue. The glue can roll on to the tube, or they can roll the tube in the glue. Then they just stick on whatever types of things they want. My DD made some with seeds for Thanksgiving last year, and they're really cute.

It's really simple, doesn't cost a lot of money, and gives them something to take home. And it can be adapted to any holiday or event.