PDA

View Full Version : Gah. Need a great "regular" cake recipe!

bisous
10-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Today is DS1's b-day. We've got a LOT going on today. Homework assignments due, first day as a Bear Scout, dinner out with grandparents. We wrapped presents last night, prepared a class gift this morning, etc.

And somewhere in there, I forgot to arrange for cupcakes! DS3 is asleep. I've got a kitchen stocked with baking essentials but I've never found a great recipe for "regular" cake. DS does not like chocolate, spice, lemon, cinnamon or anything like that. He likes white or yellow cake.

Anyone got a dynamite recipe?

TIA!

candaceb
10-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I haven't made it, but remembered seeing this on my go-to baking blog:
http://www.cookiemadness.net/2012/02/yellow-cake-with-chocolate-sour-cream-frosting/

ABO Mama
10-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure where I got it from, but this is really good yellow cake!

2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups milk, increased to 1 1/3 cups with oil
1 stick butter, soft
1 tbsp vanilla
3 eggs

Oven 350. Two round cakes bake for about 30 min.

For the milk/oil combo, measure the milk in a glass cup, and add oil until you reach the 1 1/3 mark.

bisous
10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
That one sounds good. I'll have to see if I have sour cream!

bisous
10-04-2012, 03:01 PM
ABO Mama, I have all of those ingredients! I just figured out that the oil they need is 1/12 of a cup, lol. Since I don't have a glass measuring cup, I think I just determined that 1 T and 1 tsp oil is needed. Does that sound right?

queenmama
10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
This one is seriously TDF:
http://cakecentral.com/recipe/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc

Don't be turned off by the almond or the sour cream. DS isn't big on cake, and he prefers chocolate if he does eat it, but he LOVES this. It is divine.

AnnieW625
10-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Seriously if you can get out of the house go and buy a Betty Crocker Moist Deluxe cake mix. My mom makes the best cakes from that brand. I have made them as well and the only give away that they are home made is that I am not that great icing. AMAZING. Bakery quality in a box. Everyone thinks I make them from scratch.

anamika
10-04-2012, 03:19 PM
I just made the milk cake ( see recent thread!) - I bet you have all the ingredients at home too.
Of all things, I didn't have enough sugar.

mom2khj
10-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Duncan Hines French Vanilla. :ROTFLMAO:

Seriously, I get tons of compliments every time I use it!

ABO Mama
10-04-2012, 03:28 PM
ABO Mama, I have all of those ingredients! I just figured out that the oil they need is 1/12 of a cup, lol. Since I don't have a glass measuring cup, I think I just determined that 1 T and 1 tsp oil is needed. Does that sound right?

Yes, it's just shy of 2 full tbsp.

This cake is soooo good! Way better than box mix.

ABO Mama
10-04-2012, 03:35 PM
The yellow cake is really good as pineapple upside down cake.

In a big cast iron pan, melt one stick of butter with 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
Arrange slices of pineapple in the skillet (I use canned pineapple that is canned in juice, not syrup).
Pour yellow cake batter over the pineapple, bake at 350 for 30 min.

When it's done, turn it out onto a large platter.

mom2khj
10-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Don't be turned off by the almond or the sour cream. DS isn't big on cake, and he prefers chocolate if he does eat it, but he LOVES this. It is divine.

Definitely going to try this one! Perfect timing for DD1's birthday this weekend.

ABO Mama
10-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Chocolate frosting (I think this one is from Cooks Magazine).

2 1/2 sticks of butter
1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup Dutch coco
3/4 cup corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz chocolate, melted (your choice of dark or milk chocolate)

In food processor, mix butter, sugar, and coco for 30 seconds.
Add corn syrup and vanilla - mix 10 seconds.
Add chocolate - mix 15 seconds.

This frosting is easy to make, tastes awesome, and is easy to use! Way better than canned frosting. You could use it for truffles, it is so good.

stillplayswithbarbies
10-04-2012, 03:54 PM
The yellow cake is really good as pineapple upside down cake.

In a big cast iron pan, melt one stick of butter with 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
Arrange slices of pineapple in the skillet (I use canned pineapple that is canned in juice, not syrup).
Pour yellow cake batter over the pineapple, bake at 350 for 30 min.

When it's done, turn it out onto a large platter.

when you do this, replace the water in the cake batter with the juice from the pineapple. Makes it extra yummy.

we like maraschino cherries in the center of the pineapple rings too.

kellyd
10-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I love the crumb boss vanilla cake. This is the recipe I use when I bake for us, and for those I sell. It's super easy, the only thing is you need to be very careful not to overmix it.
www.crumbboss.com/vanilla-cake/ Watch the video to see the proper mixing instructions, it's super easy and quick.

stinkyfeet
10-04-2012, 04:10 PM

I really want to try this too!

bisous
10-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Lots of good recipes to try. Thank you!

I ended up making ABO Mama's recipe because it looked easy and I definitely had all the ingredients. I adapted it for cupcakes and they just came out of the oven! I have to say, I haven't tasted them yet but the batter was yummy, they look perfect and they smell delicious. Plus, the recipe could not have been easier.

Thanks again!

ladysoapmaker
10-04-2012, 04:53 PM
I personally like most of the cake recipes on King Arthur Flour's website.

Good luck and I'm sure whatever you make your DC will love it no matter what.

Jen

mom2khj
10-05-2012, 04:28 PM

Just want to thank you for posting this! Just finished baking it for DD1's bday party tomorrow and I had enough to make some "sample" cupcakes. Even without frosting, it's delicious!!! And it's a great density!