PDA

View Full Version : Favorite frosting recipe?

MSWR0319
10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
I need to make DS's birthday cupcakes tomorrow night and am looking for a new frosting recipe. I'll be coloring it with food coloring so it doesn't have to be white white (the old ones had turned a little off white).

eagle
10-04-2012, 07:30 PM
i really like the pioneer womans "That's the Best Frosting I've Ever Had". it doesnt melt and its fluffy. some people dont like it because it has flour and its cooked.

i use it a lot.

weech
10-04-2012, 07:47 PM
i really like the pioneer womans "That's the Best Frosting I've Ever Had". it doesnt melt and its fluffy. some people dont like it because it has flour and its cooked.

i use it a lot.

:yeahthat: I'm not a big fan of the super dense, overly sweet buttercreams, so this icing is much more up my alley. It's lighter and absolutely delish!

crl
10-04-2012, 08:11 PM
I like this whipped cream and cream cheese frosting:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sturdy-whipped-cream-frosting/

It is sturdy enough to pipe but lighter than buttercream (which I adore, but in smaller quantities).

I think I have done something similar with butter and whipped cream as well, but can't find a recipe at the moment.

Catherine

TxCat
10-04-2012, 09:12 PM
If you like cream cheese...

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/yellow-sheet-cake-with-chocolate-frosting-10000001054821/
(Just take out the cocoa powder)

My new go-to for the Eating Well Died and Went to Heaven Chocolate Cake (will be making this as cupcakes this weekend for DD's birthday):
*Note - the cocoa is optional if you want chocolate flavor instead

Quick Vanilla Buttercream//Quick Chocolate Buttercream

2 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons trans-fat free organic shortening (I usually just replace with butter)
pinch salt
2 to 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted (or not)
1 teaspoon vanilla
(1/4 cup cocoa)
2 to 3 tablespoons milk

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, shortening and salt until light and fluffy. Mix in 1 cup confectioners' sugar until combined. Add vanilla and 2 tablespoons milk, alternately with the remaining confectioners' sugar, beating until completely incorporated and smooth, and beat in cocoa. If the frosting is too thick, add in remaining milk to thin.

Makes enough to frost about 12 cupcakes or an 8"/9" square cake with about 1/2 cup leftover.