PDA

View Full Version : Advice on job change after 12 years

melwe
10-05-2012, 12:09 AM
I have a professional job that requires an advance degree. I have had the same job for the past 12 years, which was my first job directly out of college. I have really loved working there and saw myself there for a long time. As cheesy as it sounds, I really love the support staff and colleagues that I work with everyday. It is a small business, less than 20 employees.

Lately, my boss (owner of business) has been taking the business in a direction that is becoming increasingly more uncomfortable for me. He is dictating and micromanaging more and trying to direct procedures that previously I have had free reign over. My performance has never been an issue, so I am not sure where this coming from. He is doing this to my colleagues too, so I am trying not to take it personally. We have a general staff meeting regarding these issues tomorrow that I am dreading.

So for the first time in 12 years, I feel like it's time to get my resume together and see what's out there. I don't even know where to start. It has been so long since I have had to job interview. I took my previous job really quickly, so I don't feel like I ever had any practice. I am also stressed because I am the primary breadwinner for this family. We cannot live off DH's salary. We have some savings, but also have a lot of bills (medical debt from DS birth, new AC/furnace, etc). This job has been very secure: I have a good salary and the most seniority. I'm not ready to leave my job yet, but I want to be prepared in case he draws "a line in the sand" that I feel I cannot cross.

Any BTDT? Any great sites for resume building, working on job interviewing skills? I'm on LinkedIn but have no idea how to use it. I've heard of networking but really don't know what it means. LOL. I'm considering pursuing a corporate/industry job, but have no idea how to approach that. Can you "cold call" a company even if you don't have an inside contact or know of a job opening? I know I'm going to need help to get another great job in this economy. I'm just sick thinking about it.

gatorsmom
10-05-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't think it ever hurts to get your resume together or to scan the employment section of the newspaper or online sights. I've been out of HR so long now, that unfortunately, I don't know the latest sights to search. I'd just do a google.

Networking is always a good idea. Are you in contact with any of your professors? Do you think they'd remember you if you contacted them? Have you stayed in contact with any of the students in your graduate course? You don't say what profession you are in but are there any organizations for professionals of your industry? Do they have meetings you could attend? Do they publish newsletters? That would be a good way to start networking.

You could contact an executive recruiting firm. They could help you spruce up your resume and let you know what the market it like right now for those with your degree and education. An executive outplacement firm will also help prepare your resume, teach interviewing skills, help you search, etc.

But first and foremost, I'm always about trying to salvage a employee/company relationship. If you are the most senior employee, I'm guessing you are one of the most highly valued. Do you feel you can talk privately with the owner and try to find out what direction he wants the company to go? Can you ask him why he is suddenly micromanaging and directing your work? There is a good chance this has nothing to do with your performance at all. But I think talking to him about where the company is headed and how you can best help the company go in that direction, might be warranted. If he sees the future of the company changing drastically, explain that you are in it for the long haul but that for the sake of your family, you really need a heads up if your position will be eliminated. After 12 years of faithful service, that is the LEAST he could do.

melwe
10-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Thank you for your very thoughtful response. Thank you for reminding me that I need to stay on track to mend our current relationship, as that would be beneficial for all. I'm going to try to stay optimistic that we can come to a mutual understanding regarding our differences. I think a private meeting would be in order at this point.

If worse comes to worse, I will probably reach out to classmates in the region as they may know people who are looking to hire. I also had one of my mentors recently move into the region and can reach out to him.