PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the name Landry?

jhmom
10-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi! We are expecting our 4th baby and we are struggling with girl names. My 5 yr old DD is Hadley so we are looking for something different that goes with her name. We get compliments on her name all the time.

I like the name Landry- DH isn't so keen but may come around. He thinks it sounds like laundry. :)

What are your thoughts on Landry for a baby girl? Middle name may be Landry Kate or Landry Elizabeth but those aren't certain.

THANKS!!!

Kerri

TwinFoxes
10-05-2012, 08:17 PM
First thought: football. Legendary coach of the Cowboys as well as a character on " Friday Night Lights". But it's an OK name, different but not bizarre.

fivi2
10-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Landry's Seafood is a chain restaurant. That is what I think of. Laundry maybe next.

I usually try not to say anything negative about people's name choices, but to be completely honest, I really don't like it. Have you tried that name suggestion site everyone always mentions? Totally blanking on the name, but you input sibling names or other names you like and it spits out suggestions...

pinkmomagain
10-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Don't love it, to be honest.

Snow mom
10-05-2012, 08:29 PM
I expected it to be a DS name but I guess so many names that I associate with boys are now swinging toward girl names. I just saw the name "Ashbey" on a friends FB account and your DD1 name as well as Landry kind of made me think of that.

ABO Mama
10-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Sounds boyish, but really reminds me of laundry.

babyonway
10-05-2012, 08:33 PM

I agree. Not a fan. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

KCR4
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM
If our suburb of Dallas is a "data point" for you....we personally know several here (4 to be precise)! Some are boys and some are girls. Sounding like "laundry" actually hasn't crossed my mind. I would guess there are a whole bunch around here.....

Melbel
10-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I actually mis-read the thread title as "Laundry", but think the name is fine. I personally like it better as a middle name - Kate Landry, Elizabeth Landry.

Other similar names:

Ansley/Ainsley
Delaney
Arden

SnuggleBuggles
10-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Not my taste. Plus, I'd have thought it was a boy's name.

gatorsmom
10-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Isn't there an actress named Ali Landry? That was my first thought.

I actually like the name but I think she'll have the "laundry" problems with it.

hellokitty
10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Landry's Seafood is a chain restaurant. That is what I think of. Laundry maybe next.

I usually try not to say anything negative about people's name choices, but to be completely honest, I really don't like it.

:yeahthat: I also feel like this is a boy name, not a girl name. I think you could swing it as a middle name, but IDK about it being a first name. I also think that there's potential for teasing since the name is only one letter off from, "laundry."

LMPC
10-05-2012, 08:58 PM
My mind went to football first, too. And for that reason (I know, call me sexist) it sounds more masculine to me. Having said that, I think if you live in the deep (or more shallow) south you could add something like Kate and you'd be good to go.

american_mama
10-05-2012, 08:59 PM
This came up once before on BBB, and I think "sounds like laundry" was repeated several times. There's always the Landrie spelling, which avoids that a little. I assume this is the thread, http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=442842&highlight=landryalthough I didn't read all 10 pages. But since it's all about girl names, you may want to.

Do you like gender neutral names? Because, to me, Hadley could be a boy and Landry definitely could be a boy name, so maybe that's a category you like. For a name that goes with Hadley:

Delaney or Delancey
Harper
Harlow
Piper
Dylan
Addison
Adelaide (the sounds go together, but the styles are different)
Meadow... kind of out there, but the D in the middle is similar
Hannah, if not too rhyme-y for you
Hailey, same comment as above
Hera (I think that would be a cool name, queen of the gods)
Hope
Haven
Hilken (went to school for 13 years with a girl named this; I think she said it was Danish)
Olivia
Camille or Camilla
Celia (SEEL-ya)
Dh has a female friend name Dailey with a D, which I think is cute and fits with Hadley.

For gender neutral names:
Peyton
Landon?
Leighton?
Ryan
Whit (I know a boy Whitford, boy Whittley, and girl Whitley)
McKenzie?
Logan
Shea
Finley
Sydney
Schuyler or Skylar
Cameron
Teagan
Adair
And a host of K names... Kendall, Kelton, Kellen

katydid1971
10-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I first read Laundry when I looked at it and then corrected myself. I don't love it and I do love your other DD's name. I really like Delaney that PPs suggested.

vonfirmath
10-05-2012, 09:30 PM
IT's a last name too me, as well as male. We have a Father-son pair in our company with that last name

boilermakermom
10-05-2012, 09:50 PM
First thought: football. Legendary coach of the Cowboys as well as a character on " Friday Night Lights". But it's an OK name, different but not bizarre.

Exactly. And at first glance I thought you missed spelled laundry.

ha98ed14
10-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Honestly, I thought you had misspelled laundry.
I think it's similar to the Letitia problem: If you live in a place where people are sophisticated enough to know how to pronounce it, it's fine. Otherwise people are gonna think your daddy was a boob guy...

boogiemomz
10-05-2012, 10:20 PM
My mind goes straight to Landry in Friday Night Lights. :heartbeat: Love the show, love the character, and it's not a bad name, but I think of it as a boy name too.

citymama
10-05-2012, 10:41 PM

:yeahthat: no disrespect, but I thought this thread was about detergent!

ETA Definitely would have thought it was a boy's name.

candaceb
10-05-2012, 11:24 PM
My first thought was of the seafood restaurant. I vote no.

JamiMac
10-05-2012, 11:36 PM
I never would have thought of laundry. My daughters have had three different girls named Landry in their sports teams and classes. I've not heard it for a boy.

zukeypur
10-05-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm in Texas where girls named Landry are pretty common.

ett
10-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Laundry came to my mind and I also thought of it as a boy's name.

AnnieW625
10-06-2012, 01:13 AM
I like it, and I think it goes great with Hadley. They are both traditionally last names so i like that connection. Based on where you live I don't think many people would get most of these references. Maybe the connection to Tom Landry, or Landry from FNL show, but there are no Landry's restaurants on the west coast. I read the name Landry, and not laundry.

lovebebes
10-06-2012, 01:54 AM
I dont want to hurt your feelings but I really dislike it also, and this is coming from a person who is extremely open to unusual names. It just does nothing at all for me, it is not beautiful or "cool", not traditional or old school, it just sounds bad to me, im really sorry, but i figure you are seeking honest opinions.

trickyhop
10-06-2012, 06:38 AM
I like it, and I think it goes great with Hadley. They are both traditionally last names so i like that connection. Based on where you live I don't think many people would get most of these references. Maybe the connection to Tom Landry, or Landry from FNL show, but there are no Landry's restaurants on the west coast. I read the name Landry, and not laundry.
:yeahthat: I agree with everything Annie said! I think its lovely.

wellyes
10-06-2012, 06:40 AM
I have to confess, until page 3, I didn't realize we were talking about a girl (missed that detail).

unlisted
10-06-2012, 07:46 AM
I know someone that has a daughter named Landry. They are from the south:). What about the name Maren? Or Maryn.

Momit
10-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Funny. I never would have thought of laundry but I did think of Tom Landry. I've seen girls here named Landry, so I think of it as the feminine version of Landon, which seems to be crazy popular here. I think it's a cute name. We also know girls named Peyton, Ansley and Ashton.

Drag0nflygirl
10-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Just another idea to throw in the mix. I had a friend named Avery. It's somehow pretty and strong at the same time.

tmahanes
10-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I like it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

infomama
10-06-2012, 10:00 AM
really reminds me of laundry.
:yeahthat: Sorry...not a fan.

lhafer
10-06-2012, 11:34 AM
First thought was that it was for a boy. Second thought was that it reminded me of Landry's Seafood restaurant.

What about Harper? Or Harlow?

MaiseyDog
10-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm in Texas where girls named Landry are pretty common.

I'm in Mississippi and we know 3 girls named Landry- one on DD1s grade at school and 2 at preschool.

lizzywednesday
10-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I also think football coach.

However ... I did know a girl named Landry. She interned for my DH's radio station about 9 years ago.

If you're set on it, go for it. It's NMS, but it seems to go pretty well with your other DD's name.

Corie
10-06-2012, 05:04 PM
I don't think of laundry at all.

Being from Dallas, TX, I do think of Tom Landry. He was a past
coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

But, that doesn't really bother me. I like the name. I'm a HUGE
fan of boys' names for girls.

Gracemom
10-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I like it for a girl, but around here it is much more commonly a boy's name. A friend named her DD Logan, and she was put on an all-boys soccer team even though the mom made it clear she was a girl. So if you're OK with people assuming it's a boy's name, I'd go for it.

MSWR0319
10-06-2012, 06:18 PM
I really like the name Landry, but I thought it was for a boy until I reread the post.

almostamom
10-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I, too, think of Tom Landry, but that's why I like it so much! :) Mr. Landry was a well respected man of high moral character. He valued hard work and honesty. Clearly, I am a fan of Mr. Landry's, but if someone were to say the name made them think of him, then I think that's a very positive thing! I do think it's beautiful and original. If you love it, then go with it. Many years ago, I posted a similar thread asking about the name we were thinking of for our son. It was not well liked. We still used that as his name and I've never regretted it for a second.

jacksmomtobe
10-06-2012, 08:49 PM
As others have said my first thought was Tom Landry and maybe because of that I thought boy's name. I do like some different names but on this one unless there are other girls named this in your area would end up being confusing .

connor_mommy
10-06-2012, 08:52 PM
I like it! I didn't think of it as football nor a boy's name. I thought it was a name that could go either way. But then I like it when girls have boys names.

diegosmom
10-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Another person who thought of the Restaurant when I first read it. Although I say name your child whatever makes you happy and don't worry to much what other people think. :-) Although from your post you might have some convincing to do with your hubby.

happymom
10-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Pretty name! I did think "laundry" when I first saw it, but I think PP's suggestion of spelling it "Landrie" would solve that problem and maybe make your DH feel better about it. Landree could work too, and is also more feminine IMO.

MelissaTC
10-07-2012, 08:12 AM
I also thought of Landry's Seafood and then laundry. Sorry. :( There was a baby in Moppets at the church where I work named Landry and they still call him "Baby Laundry".

elbenn
10-07-2012, 08:32 AM
I think of it as a boys name. There was a character on Friday Night Lights (a boy) named Landry.

fivi2
10-07-2012, 08:39 AM
I agree that Landrie takes away the seafood and laundry association.

melissaflorida
10-07-2012, 08:44 AM
:yeahthat: I agree with everything Annie said! I think its lovely.

me too! my daughter's name is Spencer and I love gender neutral names for girls.

~Melissa

Corie
10-07-2012, 09:07 AM
my daughter's name is Spencer and I love gender neutral names for girls.

~Melissa

My daughter's name is Carson. I also love gender neutral names for girls.

carolinamama
10-07-2012, 09:54 AM
I haven't read through all the posts...

It isn't my cup of tea but DH and I tend towards very tradtional names, which of course isn't for everyone. That said, I think that you should name your DD what you and your DH like. There are many names out there and you will always have people who don't like what you choose. If I knew a little girl named Landry, I wouldn't think anything negative at all. It is a fine name that I don't think would present any more fodder for playground teasing than any other.

trcy
10-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Sounds boyish, but really reminds me of laundry.:yeahthat: IMHO; sorry

jhmom
10-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Thank you for all your thoughtful replies.... I really appreciate it. Sounds like a really mixed bag of reactions. :) I know in the end the decision is ours but it's nice to hear other people's opinions (who aren't family...LOL).

rlu
10-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Isn't there an actress named Ali Landry? That was my first thought.

I actually like the name but I think she'll have the "laundry" problems with it.

And before Ali there were the Landry sisters Audrey and Judy. I thought of Audrey first and then had to rack my brain for Judy's name. Audrey was on the tv show Dallas, and I'm pretty sure they had guest roles on CHiPs and Love Boat and whatever was on back then (goodness I am dating myself).

I think it is pretty. As far as the laundry issue, there is a way to make fun of any name if given enough time and inclination, so I wouldn't let that stop me.

eta: DH's first thought was Tom Landry

kristenk
10-09-2012, 10:11 AM
I have to admit that I wasn't a fan when I first read it. I thought Tom Landry and the restaurant. I also thought it sounded more like a boy's name.

I really like it, though, with the Landrie spelling. I think that feminizes the name a bit and takes away the restaurant association.

Penny's Pappa
10-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I thought of "Laundry" right off the bat as well. Sorry.

That being said, the more I say "Landry" in my head, the more I like it. I think it's cute, but the laundry association is probably going to come up at some point.

I personally don't like the "Landrie" spelling. Seems contrived.

Corie
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I personally don't like the "Landrie" spelling.

I don't like alternate spellings to any name!

twowhat?
10-09-2012, 11:32 AM
This is probably totally regional. I've heard both boys and girls named Landry here.

And lots of girls with gender-neutral names like
Parker
Hunter
Quinn
Finley
Kennedy
Alex
etc

I'm not a fan of Landry but I don't think it's an awful name or anything...just not one I would personally choose.

A1icia
10-09-2012, 11:43 AM
My first thought is definitely football - Tom Landry and LaRon Landry.

As a first name I'd think boy.

And of course there is all the potential "laundry" teasing.

jjordan
10-09-2012, 01:34 PM
The only Landry I know is a boy. And I think it is maybe *too* similar to Hadley. I would never keep those straight when I'm scolding kids! :)

sweet_pea
10-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Not a big fan of Landry, either. What about using the name Linden instead?

Some others:

Arden
Ellery
Eden
Sage
Skylar
Keely
Piper
Marlen
Teagan
Kendall
Maren

essnce629
10-10-2012, 02:27 AM
I also read it as "Laundry" at first. I also assumed we were talking about a boy's name. To me it is too similar to Hadley as well.

mom2binsd
10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Are you Cubs fans??

I know a few little girls around here (Illinois) named Wrigley and I love that name.

I first thought you meant Laundry, then thought of Ali Landry/Tom Landry BUT I did think it was a girls name.

almostmom
10-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Like others, I thought of the Friday Night Lights character who is a boy.

What about Avery? I love that name for a girl, and it might fit nicely with Hadley (actually I know a family with an Avery and a Hadley).

arivecchi
10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
I like it. Makes me think of an adventurous and brave girl.

One of my best friends named her second DD Hunter and I love it as well. Has the same connotation in my mind.