PDA

View Full Version : Men & Downton Abbey?

amldaley
10-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Ladies, has your DH watched DA? Did he enjoy it or merely tolerate it?

Fellows, please feel free to help educate me - is this interesting to you or merely a soap opera?

MommyofAmaya
10-05-2012, 09:12 PM
DH almost cried when I confused the UK season premiere date with the US one.... and he isn't very emotional normally. ;)

american_mama
10-05-2012, 09:15 PM
My DH is into it and I haven't watched more than 10 minutes of it. He's watched several episodes, which is a lot for him since he usually gets too busy/loses interest after several episodes of anything. He really doesn't like soap opera tv, but liked Upstairs, Downstairs apparently. I have a male Facebook friend who likes Downton Abbey too; I think he likes the quality and have no idea whether he perceives it as soap opera-ish.

speo
DH and I love watching it together. I do think of it as a bit of a soap. I can't think of any other soapy shows he would/will watch. He refuses to watch my guilty pleasure, the Real Housewives of NY or OC.

ETA: I am curious to see if season 3 veers too far into soap land. He may bail if that is the case.

amldaley
dh almost cried when i confused the uk season premiere date with the us one.... And he isn't very emotional normally. ;)

:rotflmao:

KpbS
10-05-2012, 09:16 PM
My DH loves it! I think it is key to watch it from the beginning together, fwiw.

Cam&Clay
10-05-2012, 09:18 PM
DH is the reason I started watching. He was watching it on DVD in Afghanistan so I bought a DVD for me here and we watched it "together." It was fun to discuss each episode via email.

He is the one who also insisted we visit Highclere Castle when we went to London in June. It was awesome! We toured the castle and grounds where they film the show.

It is like a soap opera in that the story continues from episode to episode, but it's soooooo good. Love, war, family drama...doesn't get any better than that.

Needless to say, he loves it just as much as I do. We already have plans to rewatch both seasons before the new season starts in January.

brittone2
10-05-2012, 09:25 PM
DH watched with me and likes it. He's excited about the coming season.

I watched and episode or two on my own, thinking he wouldn't be into it. Once I watched, I thought maybe he'd like it, and he did.

hellokitty
10-05-2012, 09:26 PM
My DH loves it, we watch it together. I only have one other friend IRL who watches it. So, I'm glad that this is a common topic at this forum, lol.

LMPC
10-05-2012, 09:48 PM
DH loves it but he's British, so I think he has to :P

Beckylove
10-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Dh started watching to please me, but ended up really liking it. He liked it enough to mention liking it in front of some of his fantasy football buddies.

I think some of the male characters were really compelling and they dealt with some "masculine" issues, it isn't all parlor talk and romance.

rin
10-05-2012, 10:14 PM
DH really enjoyed seasons 1 & 2, although he did find it to be soap-y. So far he wasn't very impressed with season 3, although he says he's willing to watch the next episode.

jent
10-05-2012, 10:19 PM
My DH loves it! I think it is key to watch it from the beginning together, fwiw.

This. DH rolls his eyes at the soap-y plot twists (we're currently near the end of season 2), but he's as addicted as I am.

sntm
10-05-2012, 10:29 PM
DSO doesn't but DS1 loves it! Other than that, just gay male friends.

trentsmom
10-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I watched season one by myself - didn't even tell DH about the great show I was watching. Early on during season two, DH came into the room partway through one of the episodes. That was enough to get him hooked! He liked it so much that he would do marathon viewing sessions of season one to get caught up. When I told him season three was already airing in the UK, he told me he was going to try to see if he could find it to watch online.

boogiemomz
10-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Dh started watching to please me, but ended up really liking it.

:yeahthat: He's a little embarrassed how much he got into it, he tried so hard to hang on to the ruse that he was being such a good hubby for watching it with me, but then he started asking me if we could watch an episode tonight, or when we'd finish one he's say "okay, just one more." He thinks Lord Grantham is a "stud," and sometimes (jokingly) asks me to call him that. :ROTFLMAO: So, yeah, definitely agree that it appeals to men too.

elliput
10-05-2012, 11:02 PM
My DH enjoys costume dramas, so yeah, he likes DA.

Globetrotter
10-05-2012, 11:26 PM
DH is hooked, but he also watch Desperate Housewives with me :ROTFLMAO:

AnnieW625
10-06-2012, 01:17 AM
I think DH might have seen a bit of an episode, but he spent a lot of time studying last spring so he did not watch it regularly. I think my dad watches it occasionally.

citymama
10-06-2012, 01:52 AM
My DH loved it and he usually hates anything in the chick flick/rom com genre. This is really good stuff!

niccig
10-06-2012, 04:22 AM
DH finds most BBC productions to be too slow in terms of plot. I say he's jaded from working on 1/30th second time frames from his job to make a 2 minute trailer. Anything is slow compared to that!

I haven't gotten into DA as I just don't have the time. But come winter break, I'm going to catch up.

azazela
10-06-2012, 06:32 AM
My hubby loves it as much as I do. We watched seasons 1 and 2 together and (not very patiently) waiting for season 3. He is not embarrassed about liking it and tells anyone and everyone what an awesome show it is. We didn't find it all that soapy, if anything he'll gladly admit that the real soap in his TV-watching life is Star Trek. :rotflmao:

lfp2n
10-06-2012, 08:36 AM
My DH hates it and he's British :)

Green_Tea
10-06-2012, 08:40 AM
My DH loves it - so much so that we watched last season's finale with HIS friends and their wives!

Melaine
10-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Wow...I'm surprised so many guys are into it. DH hasn't watched it but I really like it. But he plays video games a lot at night so I need something to watch by myself since we follow a lot of shows together.

anamika
10-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Dh is totally not into it. I'm not surprised at all. He loves a good scifi show and hates sentimental stuff so yeah...
He loves Sherlock though and I will take that any day. I like discussing it with him and DA with you guys ;)

wendibird22
10-06-2012, 09:47 AM
dh hates it. He makes fun of it every time I watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liamsmom
10-06-2012, 10:53 AM
My DH sat down with me when I watched the first episode and kept on watching with me through my two week marathon! He won't watch my soapier shows (like Revenge) but he liked DA.