PDA

View Full Version : Lead screening...necessary?

barkley1
10-05-2012, 10:21 PM
DD just had her 1 yr checkup and the dr gave us a form to take to the health dept for a lead screening. I remember this with DS, too, when he turned one. The nurse kept saying something about it being required, but I couldnt' find anything that said it was req'd in the state of TN, unless you wanted to participate in the Head Start program (something for low income families, I'm not sure of the details, but we are not in that program). We ended up not doing it with him because it was going to be a BLOOD DRAW, not just a finger stick. I didn't want to put him through that.

We don't live in an older house with lead paint, don't let them chew on keys, etc so I'm relatively sure we don't have a high risk for lead poisoning.

Did your ped do a lead screening at 1 yr old?

SnuggleBuggles
10-05-2012, 10:24 PM
We didn't do it. Our ped. ranked our risk factors and then left the decision to me.

AngB
10-05-2012, 10:26 PM
They also tested DS for anemia at the same time. Our house was built in the early 80's so I was okay with it for the peace of mind, but now that I can be reasonably certain it's not in our home, etc. (SAHM), I probably will refuse for DS2 unless they will do the finger prick. (And also because it really sucked to hold down DS for it!)

ETA: There IS a finger prick test, it might not be as accurate but I would try telling them it's that or nothing.

MamaMolly
10-05-2012, 10:28 PM
We did based on risk factors. I'd ask your ped about it and go from there.

rin
10-05-2012, 10:32 PM
We did because it was required for childcare centers where we were living at the time. We had no risk factors and I thought it was pointless, frankly, but it wasn't a big deal; just a finger prick for us as far as I recall.

Giantbear
10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
For DD's 1 year lead test, the dr made us draw blood and it was a nightmare, they could not get in the vein on either arm and we had to go back. For the two year, we had a new dr and they did it in office and with a finger prick. still had tears, but much easier

Kindra178
10-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I would do it. People often think older homes are the sole source of a child's lead paint exposure. Actually, polluted soil is common throughout the US and a major source of lead exposure. A researcher named Mielke published a well respected study in 1998.

Katigre
10-05-2012, 10:50 PM
We tested each child. I found a blood draw with a skilled nurse to be easier than a finger prick in terms of discomfort for the child.

AngB
10-05-2012, 10:54 PM
For DD's 1 year lead test, the dr made us draw blood and it was a nightmare, they could not get in the vein on either arm and we had to go back. For the two year, we had a new dr and they did it in office and with a finger prick. still had tears, but much easier

I am still really annoyed that our dr didn't even mention a finger prick was an option. I looked it up (because he also told me it was a law...silly me for not questioning that...it is a law for kids on Medicaid and probably WIC...neither of which apply to us), and even our state health dept. website mentions a finger/heel prick is sufficient for an initial screening of not high risk children (houses built before '78, etc.).

AngB
10-05-2012, 11:00 PM
We tested each child. I found a blood draw with a skilled nurse to be easier than a finger prick in terms of discomfort for the child.

"Skilled nurse" being the key words. Our ped office just gives a lab slip. I asked our doctor's office for a rec of somewhere child (baby)-friendly and they weren't helpful at all, said just use the lab in their medical building, which was not kid friendly at all and the lab tech wasn't great either.

niccig
10-05-2012, 11:15 PM
I would do it. People often think older homes are the sole source of a child's lead paint exposure. Actually, polluted soil is common throughout the US and a major source of lead exposure. A researcher named Mielke published a well respected study in 1998.

:yeahthat: DS's screening turned up with higher level of lead than normal. That led us to getting the house checked. Lead is in way more than just paint. You can still buy tiles/pottery with lead glaze - it's fine unless damaged, but I didn't know our tile in bathroom had lead glaze until the test. We got rid of all painted areas of lead and the tile is fine until we go to renovate, then it can not be smashed with a sledge hammer w/o proper precautions to abate the lead - most contractors would just smash it and not even bother with checking it has lead.

Even though DS's levels were still w/i normal range, new research has shown that levels w/i normal range can have an effect. I talked to someone from our county health department who said they would get involved if over a certain number for cost reasons, but I REALLY should take steps to find the lead and get it ouf of DS's environment.

We did the finger prick and it was horrendous as they had to keep squeezing DS's finger to get enough blood. The next check a year later we did the blood draw and I insisted on their best person for kids. I was told when to come back to the lab for that person's shift. It was much easier.

cckwmh
10-06-2012, 06:42 AM
We did the lead screenign once, and DD daycare required yearly. I had her pediatrician write a letter stating that due to her low risk, the initial screening was all that was requited.

In terms of blood draw, I called the lab the ped recommended snd asked who they would recommend to take a toddler to. once they told me the person's name, I asked would you want your baby drawn by her. When the woman on the phone said yes, I asked her that person's schedule for the week, and when I went requested that person. It was great, DD didn't cry (It was not the finger prink, but a butterfly instead). Now when we have had to get bloodwork, I always call to see when this person is working.