PDA

View Full Version : Refi and house title in revocable trust

niccig
10-05-2012, 11:10 PM
We're in process of refinancing the house. We hit a snag in that our title deed was put into our revocable trust when the trust was created a few years ago. According to DH, who talked to the broker, we can't get the mortgage in the name of the trust as it's revocable. If it was a non-revocable trust we could. So the title has to be changed to our names, then we get the refi, then we can put the house title back into the trust.

Is this right? If we do have to change the title back to the trust, can I do that or do we need a lawyer?

I can't ask the lawyer who did our trust as we had issues with her giving us all our estate documents. We did get them, but only after I go heavy with reporting her to the bar. We now have a friend whose father is an estate attorney, so I could get his help if we need to put the house back in the trust.

smiles33
10-06-2012, 12:28 AM
Ask your broker/title company if they can just put it back in the trust's name after you finish your re-fi. Ours was also in our trust (I can't remember if it's revocable or irrevocable) and they had us put the new mortgage in our name and title to the house in our name but put the title of the house back in the trust immediately after closing. We didn't need a lawyer or any separate paperwork (just signed a second form for the transfer back in).