PDA

View Full Version : Help me make DD "technology device literate"...

ha98ed14
10-06-2012, 01:32 AM
This post is about to embracing technology in schools...

My personal views have always been anti-device for schools. I think math ought to be done in pencil with no calculators used until at least pre-algebra, but anyway. I've also been vocal about not wanting learning to go "digital." I posted in August about a teacher at a school we know who was (unfairly IMO) developing tech components of her lessons for her students to use on their iPads... those that had them and brought them to school, that is. When directly asked what would happen to those without them, she said straight faced, "They just won't do that part of the lesson." Not only is this illegal, it's unethical too IMO. But no one is asking me.

Anyway, today I went to the PTA Mtg at DD's school (different than the school with the unethically behaved teacher). The principal said that as part of CA's adoption of Common Core Standards, all assessments (read standardized testing) are going to be given on a device: computer, iPad, something digital. This will be fully implemented here by 2014. This is being done state-wide, and DD's school is piloting a program in several classrooms to get everyone ready for full implementation. No one will be "left behind." There will be equal access to devices for all the students, although it is being done as a BYOTS (bring your own tech device, her words.) Not sure how that will happen, but the school is piloting it with the assistance of the superintendent and the district's technology wonky wonk. It's MUCH more legit than rogue teacher with her iPad lessons for the haves and screw the have-nots.

Thus far, I have kept DD away from technology. She has a hand-me-down Leapster from a friend :waving4: , and uses my iPod to play angry birds. We have no iPad in our house. I feel like it is VERY necessary upon hearing that DD will be assessed on a "device" to make her "device-literate" for lack of a better term. Can anyone, educator or not, help me figure out what device I need to get, and what programs will be good training for the format of future assessments? (Not the content; the format.) Thank you for any input. I want to set her up for success.

niccig
10-06-2012, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure if I would get an iPad now. Maybe wait and hear more about this, it could be something your purchase as a family gift at a later point.

For now, how about put some educational game apps on your iPod so she's used to answering academic questions on a device.

I would also have her use your computer, either an educational game or a game she likes, so she's familiar with how to use a mouse, type on a keyboard. We iChat with DH when he works late and DS is now typing messages (though slowly) on the keyboard.

Kids pick it up very quickly. I'm using our iPad in therapy with my clients and the kids are zipping around better than I am. I've been able to incorporate the game into therapy, so the kids think they're getting a break, but I'm still working on their language skills. I can use the iPad and do exact same activity as I would with flash cards and they kids' eyes light up and they're very focussed. I don't use it too much, but it definitely is something they like.

Clarity
10-06-2012, 05:29 AM
If she is able to navigate an iPhone or iTouch she'll be device ready. I wouldn't buy an iPad either, not if it wasn't already in the works.

unlisted
10-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Type To Learn 4 is a typing program that schools use. It's for the computer. I think they have a free trial. Maybe try that?

lfp2n
10-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Elementary grades use real laptops here and later grades all have tablets but I think they are tested on computers with real keyboards. I'd say a regular computer where she is familiar with the keyboard layout, using a mouse, scrolling, the return button would be sufficient. You get that in any simple game or starfall or something.

Pear
10-06-2012, 09:08 AM
DD's preschool has them do 10 minutes of computer time each day. They will also be doing a longer 'game' a few times a year that is actually an assessment test. The school will use it to help identify areas kids need to work on, but the main purpose is to get them practice for the real tests they will take in kindergarten

We are not anti-device. I have seen DD learn amazing things by letting her have some computer time at home. Assuming you have a laptop or pc, I would let your child have a small amount of time at an age appropriate website.

For my 3yo, my favorite thing is that home computer time is teaching her to spell and read. She knows how to type simple words. Her handwriting dexterity hasn't caught up with that quite yet. So we are working on the actual writing, but her word development isn't constrained by what her hands can do.

Pear
10-06-2012, 09:10 AM
I wouldn't worry about buying a touch screen device. They are so intuitive that kids can just jump right in.

Focus on a more traditional computer. The concepts for operating one are simple, but not quite as natural and especially trackpads or mice can take a little practice.

egoldber
10-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Focus on a more traditional computer. The concepts for operating one are simple, but not quite as natural and especially trackpads or mice can take a little practice.

I agree with the PP. The touch screens on tablet devices tend to be extremely intuitive even for very young children. But using a mouse and keyboard can take a great deal of practice.

Simon
10-06-2012, 09:26 AM
I would not rush into it. Your Dd does more than my Ds1 and he's started using ipads at school for storywriting. He has weekly ipad time at school (the school got them through a grant) but hasn't used any electronics at home other than a VCR in months. We have some educational computer games for our desktop PC but its been over a year since he used it and he is a farily slow starter with those things. .

ha98ed14
10-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone! Ok, so skip the iPad for now, and work on getting her a computer. Anyone have any recs for a computer for kids? We do not have an old one we can give her.

egoldber
10-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Can she not just use yours?

o_mom
10-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Can she not just use yours?

:yeahthat:

Our kids are just now - at 9, 7 and 5 - getting to a point where I might consider getting them their own computer. Until now, we have just let them use ours. The only reasons I am considering it is a) our desktop needs an upgrade b) I have started working from home and do not want them using my laptop for fear of screwing up something and c) DS1 (9yo) is to the point where he might actually use the computer for school work and/or things other than internet games. It is only recently that we have run into conflicts with them wanting/needing to use it at the same time that we are using it.

I'm thinking we may upgrade our desktop and outfit them with the old one for Christmas.

Pear
10-06-2012, 10:10 AM
We had an old laptop we could let DD use. If we didn't, I would just set up an acount for her without administrative priveleges.

daisysmom
10-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I worried that our DD wasn't tech savvy when we were applying to kindergarten last year - and the wise admissions director said no need to worry about that, she would catch up in school. We ended up getting an iPad for my work this summer but she never used it, so the only instruction she has had has been in her private kindergarten class for a month. Wow- she learned quickly and without issue. I was worried too- but they really teach it in the schools and their little minds just take it right up. I let her do the starful and other programs on my computer (there is a link through her kindergarten's page) for maybe 30 minutes on the weekends, but not more. I have put a few apps on my iPad and let her do them when we are out of town for the weekend (our river house has no tv or real computer). But I am glad I didn't rush it - our school really handled what needed to be taught there.

At home I let her use my apple - with me in the room. I am not thinking of buying her one this year- maybe ask the teacher the norm? She doesn't have "homework" yet this year (except reading practice with books) so I don't think we have the need yet.

codex57
10-08-2012, 01:53 PM
My 2 cents:

Let her use your computer. She won't need it much.

Wait and see how the school's program goes and what's expected/required. Figure out what you should buy then.

I wonder if it'll be an Apple product. They tend to be popular with schools, even though they're on the expensive side. If it's Apple, I wouldn't worry too much. She's got a Touch she uses. iOS is pretty much the same no matter which device you use. Even if she didn't have that, it's so easy to use that I don't think she'll have a problem picking it up. Android is getting easier and easier to use too.

rlu
10-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm in CA too. DS uses the classroom desktop to do the AR tests (Accelerated Reading) and has for several years. In first grade the kids used the desktop to type stories they had written which were then printed and they cut and pasted into books they "published" (we still have them all, he is very proud of them).

Now in 3rd his class uses the touch screen products (ipad for example) and though we have nothing similar at home, he apparently zips around it with no issues. His math homework includes IXL work (online) but only after the teacher had each parent verify their child had easy access to do so.

We're using the Dance mat typing program referenced here previously to teach DS typing.

DS uses my work laptop (shh!) or DH's laptop for his IXL work. DH also plays games (funbrain website) with him, as does my sister when she watches him after school one day a week.