PDA

View Full Version : Major RECALL on peanut butter and the nut butters

oneontheway
10-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Made by Sunland which carries prodcuts at grocery stores, Costco, Trader Joes, etc. How scary and negligent.

Hope the link works:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/CORENetwork/ucm320413.htm

TwinFoxes
10-06-2012, 08:36 AM
I was just coming to post. The recall has expanded, it is huge, and now involves products other than just nut butter, it includes products made with them as well. If you eat nut butters/nut butter products you should check it out.

Melaine
10-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Isn't this the third time they have expanded this recall? Should we just lay off any kind of nut butter for awhile? Sheesh. Thanks for sharing.

infomama
10-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for posting. I can't believe how big this is!!

elliput
10-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Since this is a concern, I want to throw out here how stinkin' easy it is to make most nut butters at home. All it requires is a food processor. I've made peanut, sun and cashew butters successfully. I tried soy butter, but wasn't to thrilled with how that came out (might have been the beans I was using).

wendibird22
10-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Wow. My wegmans brand isn't on the list but sure makes me want to reconsider using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

athompson
10-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Since this is a concern, I want to throw out here how stinkin' easy it is to make most nut butters at home. All it requires is a food processor. I've made peanut, sun and cashew butters successfully. I tried soy butter, but wasn't to thrilled with how that came out (might have been the beans I was using).

Do tell please! Can I just throw the peanuts in the food processor and have my own natural butter in a few seconds/minutes?

infomama
10-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Do tell please! Can I just throw the peanuts in the food processor and have my own natural butter in a few seconds/minutes?
You have to add some oil. Here is Alton's recipe www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-peanut-butter-recipe/index.html

elliput
10-06-2012, 10:03 AM

Yes. This exactly. Add a bit of salt if you like. For peanut butter, which is what I make most often, I use about 1 teaspoon of salt for 2 lbs of peanuts. The peanuts (roasted & chopped) I get in bulk from a local nut house/candy store. I saved a 36oz jar from a store brand peanut butter for which to store the PB in the fridge, and wash it in the dishwasher between refills.

elliput
10-06-2012, 10:04 AM
You have to add some oil. Here is Alton's recipe www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-peanut-butter-recipe/index.html
I usually do not add oil. I like a stiffer butter though.