PDA

View Full Version : Non candy halloween treats

wellyes
10-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I'd like to give a trinket or sticker this year instead of candy. Maybe oriental trading post? If you have any ideas or have done this in the past, I'd love some tips.

Momit
10-06-2012, 07:45 AM
I just got a big bucket of foam stickers from Oriental Trading. There are 500 in the package, I believe. We might get almost that many trick or treaters, but some of the stickers are so small we may have to give out 2 per kid. We also got a roll of 100 stickers from there. DH thinks I am totally lame for not handing out candy but I feel like between food allergies and candy overload it's a good idea. Last year we had candy and stickers and a bunch of kids chose the stickers.

DietCokeLover
10-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Pencils
Small play dough tubs
Bouncy balls

nfceagles
10-06-2012, 08:09 AM
My kids have these little flashlights that strap to your fingers that came from Oriental Trading. They are a big hit, but I'm not sure how they are $$$ wise. I've given out slime from there too and that seems popular.

infomama
10-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Glow sticks?
www.orientaltrading.com/toys,-games-and-novelties/glow-products/halloween-a1-388922+1237-7-1.fltr

elliput
10-06-2012, 08:55 AM
We've done play-doh, stickers, pencils, glow necklaces/bracelets, spider rings, and I'm sure some other things.

One of my neighbors buys a case of Matchbox cars and hands those out. We always stop by there.

Melaine
10-06-2012, 09:01 AM
I just ordered some stuff from Oriental Trading for the girls' birthday. I got bouncy balls, mini pinwheels and flying dragonflies, they are all pretty cheap. I think the flying dragonflys are especially cool although little kids may have trouble with them:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/flying-dragonflies-a2-16_164-12-1.fltr?Ntt=dragonfly

SnuggleBuggles
10-06-2012, 09:17 AM
I always have a basket of play doh, stickers and Goldfish plus a bowl of candy. Not enough $ to do away with candy.

waitingforgrace
10-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Temp tattoos, glow bracelets/sticks, stickers, bouncy balls

elbenn
10-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I bet Oriental Trading has lots of things. Maybe those little spider rings?

crl
10-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I have done/seen

Toothbrushes
Temporary tattoos
Glow stick bracelets
Little Flashlights

Catherine

Seitvonzu
10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
we did glow bracelets a couple years. one year i had glow vs candy and lots of people chose the glow bracelets. i did find that groups of older kids would go one way or the other depending on whatever the FIRST kid chose. it was sorta weird groupthink! :)

last year i had a bunch of mini playdohs i got super cheap. we put out that mixed with lik-m-aid pouches. (tween/teens LOVE those) i put out like 200 things. we had to leave a bowl because we were going over to ToT with our daughters best friend. everything was gone when we got home... of course- that might have happened in 10 minutes. who knows? (we typically get 100-200 ToTers...we live in a townhouse, and it's a popular spot in our smallish town)

this year we're going to have our friends over here i think. i'm contemplating going back to chocolate. we very rarely have leftovers (and we do a "candy witch" that takes the candy from our daughter after a couple days and leaves a little present)--- if i do, i just send to DHs work. still thinking....

ABO Mama
10-06-2012, 11:18 AM
We always go to a house that gives out polished rocks.

crl
10-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh, for alternative food ideas, I have seen/done mini juice boxes, small water bottles and fruit leather.

Catherine

amldaley
10-06-2012, 12:36 PM
We got bags of small prize sized Play-doh from TJMaxx. $9.99 for 80 count.

amldaley
10-06-2012, 12:37 PM
We always go to a house that gives out polished rocks.

My mom does this, too. She buys them in bulk from a local gem and rock club. Some of them are kind of amazing, actually!

candaceb
10-06-2012, 12:40 PM
I have done twisty straws a few years and they have been popular.

ourbabygirl
10-06-2012, 02:11 PM
I've done stickers, Halloween tattoos (from OTC),
little Halloween noisemakers, mazes, and whistles (the kind that kind of go 'whizzzz!') from Target,
mini Play-doh (also bought in huge pack from TJMaxx/ Marshall's,
mini boxes of raisins,
coins (nickels/ quarters),
other piƱata filler type stuff from the Dollar Tree and OTC (spider rings, glow in the dark Halloween stamper markers, little hand clappers in Halloween colors), etc.
:)