PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if it's time to replace our refrigerator?

Katigre
10-06-2012, 10:50 AM
The refrigerator in our house is a 1991 Kenmore. It has never broken for us and we've lived here for eight years. It's showing its age - seal around the doors don't seem as secure, and we always have condensation accumulating in the 2" gap between the refrigerator and freezer doors. It's got enough space for us and were happy with its functionality.

Our electric bills are low, but I'm sure at 20+ years old it's not anywhere close to energy efficient.

How do you know when it's time to replace an appliance? What's new and good in the world of refrigerators? I like having the freezer on top and the refrigerator on bottom but haven't had any other style so can't compare

What do prices run for new fridges these days?

Karenn
10-06-2012, 12:11 PM
We replaced our '91 fridge last year when the cooling element was glowing bright red in the freezer and melted ice was dripping onto the element and sizzling. It was a pretty easy call. ;) I was perfectly happy with our old side by side fridge, but I was really surprised at how much better I liked the french door set up. It has much more space and is much easier to organize. It's also easier to keep clean because I can see all the junk that's ready to be thrown out. It's not getting lost in the back like it did in our old one. The freezer drawer is much more functional too. We got an LG. At the time, the french door Kenmore brand at sears was an LG. Our friends got that about the same time and have been happy with it too. The french door ones were generally more expensive.