PDA

View Full Version : Preschool trial period

crl
10-07-2012, 10:44 PM
I am wondering how common it is for a preschool to have a trial period to decide whether or not they will accept a child? I have heard of it before and all schools like that were automatically rejected for ds as he was slow to transition and generally had a very hard time with change. It took him more than two weeks to adapt to a new environment and I couldn't imagine anything worse than him being kicked out because he was still crying at drop off and still having trouble joining in at circle time. So I admit the idea leaves a slightly bad taste in my mouth.

But dd is an enitirely different kid and I am trying not to let my decisions for her big brother color my decisions for her overly much.

Thanks for any thoughts on the topic!

Catherine

SnuggleBuggles
10-07-2012, 10:54 PM
I have never, ever heard of a school that did that. I wouldn't try to get my child in there. I would wonder about their other practices bc it sounds like the kind of place that wouldn't be as kid friendly or respectful as I would prefer.

DietCokeLover
10-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I've never heard of that before.

sste
10-07-2012, 11:04 PM
I completely understand being limited by price, logistics, availability of comparably high quality preschools.

But in an ideal world I would tell a preschool like this to take a flying leap! I am also distinctly un-thrilled with the ones that interview. The mentality of many of the interview schools in my opinion is pay us tons of money because we are only capable of handling three and four year olds that we cherry-picked.

FWIW, we have been in three different programs and two had a mission of inclusion to kids with disabilities/atypicalities. The third subsidized alot of low-income kids. None had trial periods or interviews. The teachers were very high quality at all three programs (though number 1 suffered from a budget cut, another story) because they had to be! No cherrypicking. I was really lucky to have those choices.

crl
10-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks you all. I guess at least I am not alone in feeling less than thrilled with the idea.

No real need for child care at the moment, just looking forward to preschool for dd and trying to think through what might be our options. We will most likely have moved and will not be able to send dd to the wonderful Reggio preschool her big brother went to.

Catherine

HannaAddict
10-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Never heard of that before. Plenty of school visits and crazy applications, but not a trial period for a child.

crl
10-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Interesting. I have run into it on both coasts.

Thanks!
Catherine

ahisma
10-08-2012, 01:30 AM
I've seen it in private daycare but never in a preschool. I think I'd be bothered by it. To me it feels like a screening for high needs and, while I understand and can somewhat emphasize with their intent, it just doesn't sit that well with me.

Even with kids who would make the cut, I'm not sure it's the best approach. DS is a model student and loves the actual process of school. One of his closest friends is a special needs kid who is truly brilliant but isn't always the easiest in the classroom in certain circumstances. DS has learned so, so much from this friend. He knows that he may have to help him with social cues, etc...but that this friend can read / spell anything that he may need. I'm not sure that he would have made the cut in a screening process, but I think that he has brought a great deal to my DS's school and social experience.

I have some serious concerns with the notion of isolating our kids to make their experience borderline utopian. The world out there demands flexibility. For me, understanding all sorts of different people is one of the best lessons that we can give our kids. Heck, I have DS2 in what is very likely an academically sub par preschool just so he can be in a fully diverse environment because it's otherwise sharply lacking in our community. For me, that matters more than his ability to read when he enters K.

baileygirl
10-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Is it a trial for them too where you can opt out?

crl
10-08-2012, 09:34 AM
At the two East Coast schools (one Waldorf, one a traditional preschool affiliated with a private grade school), it was not presented as a trial on both sides to me. But I didn't pursue it with them. The preschool I have run into it at out here is a "Montessori" and it is on their website and is more or less presented as an opportunity for them to make sure it is a good fit for your child. My initial relation was nice try to spin it, but that's not very child-friendly, etc, etc. But, then I thought maybe I needed a reality check. So I came here. :waving4:

Thanks!
Catherine

wellyes
10-08-2012, 09:40 AM
What on earth are you supposed to tell a kid who was rejected by his school?

m4nash
10-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Our public preschool has a trial period for peers in the special needs preschool, but I'm pretty sure that's just so they can make sure the peers don't also have a need that could qualify for services through the district. I've never heard of anyone getting kicked out.

Simon
10-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Many, if not most, preschools around here have a trial period listed on the books, but its mostly a CYA thing for children who may be waaaaay out of line re:uncontrolled rages putting other children in serious physical danger, acting out sexually, etc. The types of things that would require, legally, line of sight supervision or more to protect all parties 100% of the time. The language, however, usually just says things about adapting to school or some such. I have not heard of one school actually using the clause to send away a child who cries a lot at drop-off or even to reject kids with special needs, in-class aids, etc.

Ds2 attends a school with a 3 week trial, and we have sought places that do because we need an "out" if it turns out not to be a good fit for us as well. In fact, we all agreed (teachers and us) that a trial period would be best for Ds2 although he did fabulous from day 1 so it became a moot point. Still, when you have a child with additional medical/social/behavioral concerns it can also be helpful from the parents' pov to not be stuck with a year long contract to a place that is willing to take your $ but not help your kid.

wellyes
10-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Many, if not most, preschools around here have a trial period listed on the books, but its mostly a CYA thing for children who may be waaaaay out of line re:uncontrolled rages putting other children in serious physical danger, acting out sexually, etc. The types of things that would require, legally, line of sight supervision or more to protect all parties 100% of the time. The language, however, usually just says things about adapting to school or some such. I have not heard of one school actually using the clause to send away a child who cries a lot at drop-off or even to reject kids with special needs, in-class aids, etc.

I think every preschool has rules on the books that would allow for removal of a child who posed a threat (physically or psychologically) to other kids.