PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Treehouse series, then what?

DietCokeLover
10-08-2012, 07:46 AM
We have worked our way reading though most all of these. DC seem to like the adventure, shorter chapters and occasional pictures.
What would be some good next books / series to read to them? DC are 4 and 5.

brittone2
10-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Check out the Cynthia Rylant books like Cobblestreet Cousins and The Lighthouse Family. (eta: and The Blue Hill Meadows). FYI, none of these are very heavy on adventure, but I think they are very charming and sweet, the chapters are short, and there are pictures interspersed.

My Father's Dragon is another small series with short chapters.

eta: Cam Jansen?
Geronimo Stilton?

dogmom
10-08-2012, 09:10 AM
A to Z Mysteries.

Clarity
10-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Have you read them Charlotte's Web, yet? My dd1 loved that at 5yo. We read her James and the Giant Peach too, and lately have been reading her the Ramona series and the Little House series.

sophiesmom03
10-08-2012, 09:42 AM
A2Z mysteries are fun, formulaic, short chapters. Lots of brave kids and quick action.

Anything by Cynthia Rylant, as the pp stated. I've heard good things about the boxcar children but we never read them.

DietCokeLover
10-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the ideas. We'll start checking some of those out.

almostmom
10-09-2012, 09:26 AM
After Magic Treehouse, DS read a bunch of the Droon books (I can't remember the full names - maybe the Adventures of Droon?). I didn't love them, but he did. He then went into Harry Potter and left everything else behind, but this was a good transition.

missym
10-09-2012, 09:30 AM
A series to keep in mind for a couple of years down the road is The Sisters Grimm. DH reads this to the girls (7 & 9yo) every night and they LOVE it. I think they're on book #3 now. Storytime is suddenly a great motivator for getting ready for bed quickly!

citymama
10-09-2012, 01:00 PM
How about Geronimo Stilton? My Father's Dragon is wonderful, but only 3 books.