PDA

View Full Version : Normal? Gasping sound...5 month old

Melaine
10-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I am 95% sure this is fine but I wanted to run it by you guys. DS keeps making this gasping noise. It's like he sucks in a big lungful of air and kind of makes this wheezy noise. It's kind of like a squeal without voice. This is nothing like last weekend when he had croup. He usually seems excited or annoyed when he does it. I think he is trying to get attention. I know he can breathe fine bc he will stop when distracted, nursing fine, sleeping like always.

Is this just a phase, new sound discovery? He is also doing the fake cough, which is clearly just playing around.

okinawama
10-08-2012, 03:27 PM
My little guy would do this when his reflux was acting up. I have no idea why, but now, looking back it happened all the time when he was a newborn and the reflux was untreated, and then it would happen again when is reflux would flare up (during teething or growth spurts when his meds needed upped).

Melaine
10-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh my gosh I have been lax ab the zantac. I keep sort of taking breaks thinking he will do ok w/o. Clearly not. I feel horrible. THANKS!!!

amldaley
10-08-2012, 03:35 PM
If he is on Zantac, give him his regular dose and see if it helps stop that sound. Acid can swell the larynx which can make that sound.

larig
10-08-2012, 03:37 PM
If the noise (sometimes it is called a stridor) is on inhalation, it could be laryngomalacia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngomalacia). My DS had it, but it was noticable from birth, so I think less likely to be the case with your little one.

brittone2
10-08-2012, 03:40 PM
My DD had laryngomalacia as well, but like PP, it was present at birth and became less obvious as she got older. We were fortunate that she outgrew it right around her first bday.

Melaine
10-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys. I don't think it's laryngomalacia. It doesn't really sound like the stridor he had with croup...but I will definitely notice if it is still there with the Zantac. I hate reflux. :-(

flashy09
10-08-2012, 08:14 PM
My DD makes the same sound, I think. I couldn't figure it out until I realized it's the sound I make before I go to blow kisses or "raspberries" on the her stomach or under her arms. I make this exaggerated intake of air that sounds like a huge wheeze....never realized it under I heard myself one day and then I put it together.

Probably not the case for you, but wanted to put that out you since he's at the age where my baby started the fake cough and the fake wheeze!

Melaine
10-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Bumping this....taking him into the ped. today. He has been doing this more often and it is just making me nervous.

I'm wondering if his Zantac needs to be increased. Does anyone know the proper dosage? I can't seem to find it online. He will be 6 months this week and about 17.5 lbs last I checked.

Melaine
10-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Well, my ped. isn't in and I definitely feel like throwing away yet another co-pay to another dr. Decided we will wait until 6 month well check in 2 weeks. Meantime I am waiting for a call back on upping with dosage of zantac. Also he IS teething (I can actually see the tooth) so wondering if that is contributing like pp said.