PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Scholastic Book room parents or orderers

3isEnough
10-08-2012, 04:12 PM
My DS' teacher needed a parent to be in charge of Scholastic Book orders and since no one else volunteered, I agreed to do it. The problem is I know nothing about it and have ordered from them myself only once or twice several years ago.

The teacher didn't give me any direction or info so I have no idea what to do. She gave me about 20 of their catalogs. I tossed several and narrowed it down to 4 of the most recent and relevant. I plan to make sets of 4 mini-catalogs to pass out to the kids, but then what??

Am I supposed to put some kind of online code on the books so parents can order online? If so, where do I get that code?

What about the instructions to the parents? I remember from years ago that there was some little printed instruction sheet that was stapled to the front. I can prepare one of those but what do I tell the parents? Does anyone have some verbiage they've used themselves?

I know this all probably seems very lame that I can't figure it out, but since I've never really been a consumer of Scholastic Books I have no idea what to do. I've had the catalogs for 3 weeks now and need to do something with them :6:

Help an SB newbie out!!

SnuggleBuggles
10-08-2012, 04:16 PM
I haven't BTDT either. But, our teacher just sent home catalogs last year with the code filled in. She'd send reminders to order and steered us to the website too for more offerings (like books for other siblings too). I'd be sure and highlight the fundraising benefit to the class- each # of books= free books to the class. People might not understand the reason to order otherwise.

connor_mommy
10-08-2012, 04:22 PM
I went in and placed the order as if I were the teacher. She gave me her password and that's where I found the online code. Here's what I did:

1. Separated the catalogs and made a set for each child.

2. Wrote a letter telling the parents that I was in charge of the book orders. I gave them the link and online code. I mentioned that my preference was online order, but will mail in checks if that's how they wanted to do it. I also mentioned that the classroom receives free books with every order.

3. Tell them the due date. You'll need to set the due date in the account also.

4. I usually go in the day after the book orders are due to submit the order. If there were any that were ordered by check then you would also need to include those.

5. Mail in the checks and the books should arrive in 2 weeks.

3isEnough
10-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks to you both, that's very helpful!

3. Tell them the due date. You'll need to set the due date in the account also.

How do I know what the due date is? Does each catalog "expire", so for example books from the Sept catalog can't be ordered after a certain date? I plan to give the parents catalogs from Sept and Oct, or maybe I should just throw away the Sept catalogs and start fresh with Oct? (and as aside, what is with all the Scholastic categories? Lucky, Leo, blah blah. I get that some are age specific, but some aren't and just seem duplicative and confusing to the uninitiated).

niccig
10-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Our person did up a little word document with screen captures showing parents what to type and where. I already had it worked out from last year, but I think his instructions would help someone new. Maybe you can do the same.

PZMommy
10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
On the bottom of the paper order form that came in the booklet, it will tell you the deadline for ordering. Typically there is about a 3 month window. Like Sept can be ordered until Nov.

I've also found that sending home less catalogs actually worked better for me. I would probably only send home two at a time. You can always put a little line on the note that additional book choices are available online. It is just simpler that way.

Placing the orders is really easy. I do it online, vs calling or sending it in. Also it is faster. Once you submit your order online they will start getting it ready to ship, even if they haven't received the mailed in checks. I've found that most of my orders usually arrive in about a week.

Also at the end of the orders you place online, you typically earn rewards like you can spend $10 on books, but it has to be used right then. You may want to have some idea of what the teacher would like to order for her classroom so those coupons don't go to waste.

Dawn

3isEnough
10-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks so much everyone, all of that info is so helpful and exactly what I needed to know :thumbsup:

connor_mommy
10-08-2012, 11:01 PM
You can set any date you like. Sometimes I would have forms for two different months, say September and October. Then I would pick end of September or the first few days of October.

kaitlyns.mom
10-09-2012, 01:39 AM
So glad you asked this - I am in the same boat this year. :wavey: